Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Explain Tad woofers ???? Help.

Explain Tad woofers ???? Help.

There is 4 pair of Tad Tl 1602 woofers for sale in the area but i know nothing about them. Can someone explain the difference and the purpose with Tads woofers ? 1601a, b, c, 1602, 1603.

mats
    4345 diy, K2/Array diy Ht. TAD 4 way diy.

Very Tempting

Hi Mats,

by all accounts TAD are a very fine woofer. However, I know of a few that feel the 1500al are superior. These are the the 1601's with 4001 horn and a driver.
    I believe Widget and Merlin are the best for the real info on TAD.

Rich

Ps . How about an up-date on the K2 project
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rich,

You have to stop posting that lovely picture of those Tads. It gets me so excited I have to go and have a cold shower now...

TAD Products

Quote Originally Posted by matsj View Post
    There is 4 pair of Tad Tl 1602 woofers for sale in the area but i know nothing about them. Can someone explain the difference and the purpose with Tads woofers ? 1601a, b, c, 1602, 1603.

mats

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/4.../overview.html

I know what you mean !

Quote Originally Posted by Andyoz View Post
    Rich,

You have to stop posting that lovely picture of those Tads. It gets me so excited I have to go and have a cold shower now...
    You think thats a turn on , check this......http://www.reyaudio.com/large.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

TAD 1601A- accordian surround, alnico magnet, Fs 28Hz, 300w power handling, 97DB 1w@1m 900hz or lower crossover recommended.

TAD 1601B= accordian SURROUND, alnico magnet, Fs 28Hz, ventilated VC former, 500w power handling, 97.5DB 1w@1m. 900hz crossover or lower recommended.

TAD 1601C- accordian surround, alnico magnet, Fs 28Hz, triangular metal weight to counterbalance against lead weight, 97DB 1w@1M, 500w power handling, was $995 list, now discontinued.

TAD 1602- Foam surround, treated cone, high compliance suspension, 21Hz Fs, alnico magnet, 300w max power handling, similar to JBL 2235.

TAD 1603- accordian surround, ceramic magnet, Fs 28Hz, 500w power handling, 97Db 1w@1m, 900hz or lower crossover recommended.

I have never heard the 1602, so I have no comments.

The 1601 A & B, and 1603 I know well. 1601A is clean, smooth, big deep low end, flat response. 1601B takes more power, and is also an excellent sounding woofer. The 1601A and B sounds great, but PRICEY, alnico costs.

The 1603, I use them, and know others who use this model as well. Deep, heavy, big thump, smooth low mid, very clean, purrs on low notes, handles a great deal of power, very durable, and produces a large amount of low end. I have them horn loaded in my Altec cabinets, and they produce, definitely deeper and smoother sounding to my ears than the JBL 2226. Real drums sound phenomenal through these, as well as bass guitar and keyboard notes and vocals.

I tried EVERYTHING, JBL 2226, TAD, 18Sound, B & C, EV, TAD was the best sounding to me. Low end is HUGE and clean, with a touch of warmth. Price just under $500.00ea. Works very well powered by BGW, Bryston, Crown, QSC, Crest, Lab or any other suitable high quality amplifier with proper power. TAD 1603,s THUMP, and have great low end definition, and are really reliable, they dont break.

I am comparing these to modern woofers, in production today, not vintage drivers, EVERY modern driver mentioned will outperform yesterdays drivers in terms of power handling, thermal compression, and reliabilty, in demanding use.

Sonically, TAD sounds great, JBL,ish, to a large degree, but deeper low end than the 2226H, and TAD paper cones are of great quality. TAD drivers are CLEAN, and play GREAT low end.

The JBL 2226 has more mid bass kick, but the TAD 1603 snaps, and is warmer and easier and fuller sounding. I tried B & C and JBL, 18Sound, The TAD won. What can I say?

1601A is even smoother, but, not as robust, the 1601B is robust, sounds great, but $775.00 or higher, list pr OUCH!

Basically, TAD is the Japanese answer to JBL, cost no object, super high quality designs. They are THAT good, but are very expensive, and hard to get. When TAD is out of stock, you just gotta wait.
    scottyj

Thank you very much scott.

mats

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    TAD 1602- Foam surround, treated cone, high compliance suspension, 21Hz Fs, alnico magnet, 300w max power handling, similar to JBL 2235.

I have never A/B'd them, but through listening to both of them in various systems, I think I'd stick with the 2235H.

If you can get the TL1602s at a good price, you could always do your own comparison.

Widget

550 usd for 2 1602.

mats

I have two questions, one about voice coil depth, the other about frames:

TAD is explicit that 1601A, B and C and 1602 voice coils underhang the magnetic gap, but seems to equivocate on the 1603. Is the 1603 voice coil depth the same as the others?

The 1601C is a special unified casting, Alnico motor of recent issue and has been discontinued. The 1603 is ferrite. The 1601 frame, no letter, I take it, precedes the time of differentiation between the A, B, and 1602. Is the 1601 no letter frame the same as the 1601A? In general, what is the interchangability of these Alnico frames, setting aside the 1601C? And, specifically, will the 1601 no letter frame take a 1602 cone and be a 1602?

Thanks

David

1601A and B share same frame, 1603 looks the same too, different magnetic motors.

1601C had a different frame and magnetic assembly, alnico 7, and a different VC. The triangular counterweight on the cone was said to improve reaction time of drivers cone. Could be, the TAD AFAST horns with their special filter type tube or chamber built in to horn was effective at doing whatever, those horns sounded CLEAR!

TAD has a unique sound, their cones sound smooth yet present, and really clear. Drums that are recorded well, you can hear if the kick drum has the blanket in it, or the reverb, low mids are present, but very seductively smooth

LF is huge they thump, and have a round sound, but, they do snap too. With TAD you need great electronics and amps, you hear what you have with them good bad, or indifferent. Same for the compresssion drivers.

The LF is just LARGE and has that prmominet low end kick, The Eargle On Everest CD sounds terrific through my 1603,s. Even my dad, who is up for the week was totally impressed. I will confess that I am recieving help from my friend Shorty, who has it down pat when it comes to TAD. And my McIntosh 2125 on the JBL 2395/2441J,s were the surprise of the year. Really wonderful Mid/hi, Sweet, and the Bryston 3B SST and 2B Pro are wowking out on tweeters.

The Bryston 10B xovers are about the finest I have ever had, no matter what you hit them with, they just dont fall apart and distort. And Bryston is INCREASING my input gain for me, THEY just blow IC based units away with their discrete topology. CLARITY, man, America-Horse With No Name, WOW! Guitar notes you can pluck right out of the air.

Vocals sound natural, and smooth, and my room is not ringy since I put TAD,s in, and have no more aluminum dustcap woofers. Their power handling and HUGE transient capability is fantastic. JBL 2226,s have more of a midbass kick ( slam ) but, I love the low mid smoothness, and hefty deeper lf energy.

I was going to take my 2402 bullets out, but the Bryston 3B SST has them sounding airy, and far more extended than I have ever heard, in my place or any other. Fast, and delicate, yet crisp, and detailed, no edginess or CHH, CHH, CHH!

I going back and forth on subs, crest or Crown. I like Crest, BUT I love the Crown growl and KICK! Tried my I Tech 4000 on J Horns, SURPRISE, elepahnt thump, but tight Crown KICK, the building was trembling. Oh, weel, Macro techs and I Tech this week, Crest next week. Ther nice thing with the I tech is the ability to set input sensitivity, and average power limiter. Avg power limiter set to 800we per channel with ther HUGE folded horns is TREMENDOUS low end beyond anything I expected, dad said WTF, you think your Dr. Frankenstein, that is A MONSTER bass. And Widgets cabs, JBL 2242 loaded sound great on two Crown 3600,s, they ROAR!

ZZ Top - Eliminator, Legzz, and Aerosmith - Walk This way, the kick drums were OFF THE HOOK!

Donna Summer - McArthur Park sounded beautiful, and I wasnt pushing either.

From the 15,s on up, I love what we have done, but subs, dad said stay Crown, and I guess I agree. DRAMATIC< MONSTER< and MUSICAL!
    scottyj

Bob Ho, president of TAD, favors the TAD 1601B. I actually like the sound of the 1603,s. Ferrites sound a bit chalkier, and slightly stiffer than alnico motors, maybe?

Gives todays source material a tight, defined sound.

For home hi fi, I like the TAD 1601A. Many people I know still favor the 1601A.
    scottyj

JK AUDIO - 4 x TAD1601

Thread Information