Thread: Programs for cleaning/transferring vinyl record files to the PC (digital)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Programs for cleaning/transferring vinyl record files to the PC (digital)

I thought I'd start a new thread,after cleaning lps,what do you folks use to cleanup/transfer your files to the computer? I use DiamondCut 32,I also upgraded my soundcard.

I'd visit a studio nearby and ask for 24/96 format . Best converters are external, and the soundcards you buy for cheap arent even 16bit.

When recording I care for the appropriate level, I make no normalizing afterwards. When there are single tracks I give them a very quick fade in and out, this makes surface noise nearly unlistenable.
    That's all, it can be done with any editor I suppose.

But first of alI there will be washing. I record wet.

you could also rent gear nice ADC with AES/EBU

Audio recording and PC laptops

For CD-recording software on my Windows XP PC I've used Magix Audio Cleaning Lab with my tower PC and my laptop PC. Good for noise removal, editing, adding bass to old LP's, etc. Fairly intuitive.
    Another problem is getting the audio into the PC. My tower has a soundcard with line in/out and software usable for recording, etc. However I wanted to use my laptop to record with. It is a HP multimedia Windows XP laptop having motherboard audio with a mic input but no line input/output, similar to most laptops and some towers, and no audio file software. It is unable to import audio-quality sound to enable recording records onto its HDD or CD burner as purchased. After internet investigating & talking to my Mac dealer, I purchased a $50 Griffin iMic, an Apple Mac "Hi Resolution USB Audio Capture" tool that works on PC's without a soundcard line in & out. It connects to a laptop's USB port and to my stereo's recording line output & inputs with miniplugs. Works great. It also comes with access to Final Vinyl audio recording software that I have not used.

Audigy 2 / Adobe Audition

Iv'e been using a combination of an Audigy Z2 24bit 196 Khz PC card and Adobe Audition 1.5 and a DIY built BGW 202 preamp section, have been using this for years and it does it for me.

4435, 4430, 4315, 4312B.
    2 x Bryston 4BSST2, BGW 203, JBL 5235, Aphex 720.

all of that restoration is effectively destructive, you can only gain detail by interfacing to better converter, therefore I would record everything first and tinker with SW later.
    You are of course right. But it actually starts with the turntable, a better one sounds better!

I record from my Linn LP12, without any sound from the speakers to avoid feedback, to an Edirol R1 at 24/44,1. Store it on the computer and downloads again when its time to play it. Never been bothered by some pop's and click's so I don't do any processing.
    4331B - L65A

Question LP's to MP3's ??

so what method do you use to transfer LP's to the computer ?? I know there are USB tt's, but they have awfull carts and just butcher the music from what I've read.

Is there an RCA to USB adapter ?? (so as to use a real tt ?? )

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    so what method do you use to transfer LP's to the computer ?? I know there are USB tt's, but they have awfull carts and just butcher the music from what I've read.

Is there an RCA to USB adapter ?? (so as to use a real tt ?? )
    Yes there are. I have a Terratec. It is a small pre-amp you connect the record player to. From pre to USB on the PC.

Why not get a good quality sound card with analog inputs and run it through a proper preamp first. I have "rescued" several LP doing this. Just bring them in as wave files and burn them to CD/DVD. You should be able to burn either standard red book or 24/96 using DVD.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Why not get a good quality sound card with analog inputs and run it through a proper preamp first. ...
    The M-Audio Delta 1010LT has proved really good for me - talked about here. It actually has more I/O than I need, but when I bought it they did not offer the "Audiophile" line and I wanted the XLR's.

OKAY- I found a way that works for me...

been dubbing LPs to MDs .... forgot that I had aquired a portable Sony NetMD player, so now I've just run the MD player to the soundblaster line IN and record with Nero Soundtrax....yeah, I know , its not SACD quality, but just fine for the pod...tho 1 extra step ....

the MD player is rated at 45-50 hours playback on a single "AA" battery.. (still running on the battery that came in it when I purchased)

Thread Information