Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programs for cleaning/transferring vinyl record files to the PC (digital)

Programs for cleaning/transferring vinyl record files to the PC (digital)

I thought I'd start a new thread,after cleaning lps,what do you folks use to cleanup/transfer your files to the computer? I use DiamondCut 32,I also upgraded my soundcard.

I'd visit a studio nearby and ask for 24/96 format . Best converters are external, and the soundcards you buy for cheap arent even 16bit.

When recording I care for the appropriate level, I make no normalizing afterwards. When there are single tracks I give them a very quick fade in and out, this makes surface noise nearly unlistenable.
    That's all, it can be done with any editor I suppose.

But first of alI there will be washing. I record wet.

you could also rent gear nice ADC with AES/EBU

Audio recording and PC laptops

For CD-recording software on my Windows XP PC I've used Magix Audio Cleaning Lab with my tower PC and my laptop PC. Good for noise removal, editing, adding bass to old LP's, etc. Fairly intuitive.
    Another problem is getting the audio into the PC. My tower has a soundcard with line in/out and software usable for recording, etc. However I wanted to use my laptop to record with. It is a HP multimedia Windows XP laptop having motherboard audio with a mic input but no line input/output, similar to most laptops and some towers, and no audio file software. It is unable to import audio-quality sound to enable recording records onto its HDD or CD burner as purchased. After internet investigating & talking to my Mac dealer, I purchased a $50 Griffin iMic, an Apple Mac "Hi Resolution USB Audio Capture" tool that works on PC's without a soundcard line in & out. It connects to a laptop's USB port and to my stereo's recording line output & inputs with miniplugs. Works great. It also comes with access to Final Vinyl audio recording software that I have not used.

not at all sure that consumer grade edirol worths that much time&money&effort. If i had to do it I would do it right. Rent an UA 2192 if you can.

If someone nearby has Krautrock vinyls I would send out something very nice for a week or two , Im interfacing ( digital glue logic... )a quite neat Neve ADC, some time it takes yet though.

Ive been using a aardvark aark 24 for sometime now and its worked very well,I'm starting to look for some better audio restoration software than the DC product.I have tried other restoration products but found them missing one tool or another.which can add hours to the process.

all of that restoration is effectively destructive, you can only gain detail by interfacing to better converter, therefore I would record everything first and tinker with SW later.
    Oh, and if there is no studio gear to rent, you can always pick up a PCM4222 ev-kit from texas instruments , 150USd, you need a soundcard with AES/EBU . No need to squeeze the last dB-s out , -6 dB peak is perfect for modern converters.

Thank you for starting this thread JBLwolf, I have been curious about this whole process for quite a while. While I look forward to playing my records again I also want access to some of the stuff in a cd format which I will always think very convenient and user friendly. It is that very cinvenince that endeared me to the cd.
    Question, once one has trasferred the record to the computer I would imgine it is now a file and as such it can be save on the hard drive for future/multiple burning, is that correct?
    Just Play Music.

When I started putting lps on my computer(in 1999/2000) I used the soundcard that came with the computer,but I didnt care for the quality.so I started looking into better soundcard I could on the cheap-Turtlebeach was one of the first I liked,the Echo darla was the next and so on.I always download in .wav format at rate of 44.1.I just wanted to transfer music I liked that I knew would never be on cd-sample Al Hurt-The Horn meets the Hornet,I could listen to that one all day!and I found a sealed one on ebay put it on cd and flipped it for 4 times what I paid for it 2 years later.anyway,I just want to see what other programs people use,I really like the DC32 program,its very easy to use,has a ton of restoration tools(even effects like virtual valve amplifer)can be added.purists will have a field day with that one or for any of the other restoration tools,but for me getting a old 78rpm or other recording to sound a little better(to my ears)is all its about.I hope we get more input from just the everyday Joe that just transfers lps and enjoy the music.I also started coping files to DVD-RWs,than when I want to make a cd,I just copy the files from the DVD.as harddrives have gotten bigger Ive started to look at putting every thing on them.I see in very near future I will have a computer hooked up to my audio system/widescreen and call up all the stuff I downloaded and sit back and enjoy.I know its already happening but Im old.

file format is important

Sorry Kunchy,yes you are correct.it is in file format,with the recording/burning programs I used I choose what type of file I want the file to be.there are many types of digital music file formats out there.I also sometimes use a sound file converter program when I share music files.

Quote Originally Posted by jblwolf View Post
    .I hope we get more input from just the everyday Joe that just transfers lps and enjoy the music.
    I agree, this is very interesting, thank you
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by jblwolf View Post
    ...I hope we get more input from just the everyday Joe that just transfers lps and enjoy the music...
    That would be me. I'm in the middle of a fairly massive effort to transfer all my analogue tapes to digital. If/when I get to the vinyl, I would do the same as...

1. I use cassette and open-reel decks that have pitch control. At start of each tape, I tune the speed of the playback to the proper key using the pitch control - I match either to my harps or a pitch pipe. Being a musician, it's usually pretty obvious what the proper key might be. Also, being a musician it's imperative the tapes run at A440 for archiving sake (since that's how they were recorded but inter-machine tape speed consistency was never a focus of the industry... ).

2. Using a Neutrik NYS-SPP-L1 half-normalled patchbay, I patch the direct playback into the PC through the M-Audio Delta 1010LT soundcard. This is a great soundcard with over-the-top functionality.

3. I capture the wave file real-time using GoldWave Digital Audio Editor, a very affordable, and incredibly powerful two-channel editor. Much of my tape library is live stuff - boardtapes, FM broadcasts, etc. - which can be trimmed and cleaned-up considerably. GoldWave is hella cool - I've used it for over 5-yrs and my one puny licence purchase has allowed free upgrades.

4. I archive files onto CD's in full .wav format.

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I've been using the Nero wav editor to record LPs to my computer. It's included with the full version of the Nero burning ROM application, and it works fine. I have an ESI Juli@ sound card, I like this because it has RCA jacks for I/O. But the newer Sound blaster cards are good enough. In my opinion, the biggest problem that most people will have is with the quality of their turntable.

Thread Information