Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altec Fifteen questions

Thanks for a great thread guys. The mod 15's look great. I like the bent horns they have a mellow sound, I have them in my 9849 monitors I find them very easy to listen to over long periods.I have been setting up my 604's and needed knobs for the crossovers, I was able to purchase them NEW from Gary at a great price. These are impossible to find unless you find crossovers being sold for parts.Thanks Again

Tranqui

Gary L
    Thanks for the plug Tranquil.

As for your horns in the 9849s. My 9849-8Ds had metal while my buddy has a pair of 9849s in grey cabinets with the plastic or model 15 type horn.

Hard as I try I can't tell much difference between metal Vs plastic. If any then there may be a slight ring with the metals at times.

I have been completely thrilled with the service and performance of all my GPA diaphragms, HF driver and woofer rebuilds. Any HF drivers I purchased with after market frams took a trip to GPA to get the right ones and tuned up. I find no good reason to use after market parts or services while the real stuff is still redily available and at a reasonable price.

Gary

You're Welcome

My cabs are the 9849-8A. The components were purchased separate the 414-8c is original and it's a great sounding speaker, the horns are plastic with 902-8A drivers, phrams from GPA and they sound great, NO ringing like my 811 but I know how to tame the 811 just have not done it yet. I'm also very happy to have Bill at GPA in business.
    I bought the utility cabs in bad shape and refinished them, the distributor for Duratex textured paints is here in Fl. so I took a cab in and had them match the paint project turned out nice. They kept the formula on file for future Altec customers. Great stuff easy to work, dries quick with NO smell.

Tranquil

Thread Information