Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Modern Turntables

Of course, the result depends on the quality of the sound card. With a cheap onboard solution, it is of course no good results. But it is noteworthy that sterophile.com the sound of a $ 499 sound card with the sound of a $ 12500 CD player compares.
    your LYNX AES16 is certainly not a bad sound card.
    But it is a digital sound card. You still need an AD converter. The connection AES16-AD converter is again a source of jitter.

regards
    juergen

yes you are right . I bought this card cause I can use multiple dac, for now 2 stereo dac for the 4435's . I don know how much caution is necessary, cause being multibit r2r they arent dependent on jitter as much as modern delta sigma.

I have long considered it as I do. Have then but the Lynx Two B. 2 inputs to digitize my old vinyls and 6 outputs for active control of my 3 way speaker.This is also a correct frequency response and delay for the mids and high possible.

regards

juergen

Time Magazine now says records are all the rage among the kids ...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...702369,00.html
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Am I missing something?

Ummm...I don't get the basic premise here that playing from a HDD rather than a music-only CD player is better. Don't you need a CD player to get it to your Hard-Drive in the first place? And using a PC's $20 or so multi-purpose CD-player to read and save a WAV file onto a HD surely isn't the equal of a reasonable "audiophile" music-only CD player. ??

digital is all about timing. Recording , grabbing a CD onto HDD has no clock to it, not even real-time, bits = bits . Once you start playing back from either CDP or PC, you have this clocking issue called jitter (phase noise) . There are phase noise requirments for 16bit, consumer grade spdif is not even close to that (ofcoures this depedns on the source, top cd transport can have 100x better jitter than PC integrated toslink source ) .

Quote Originally Posted by readswift View Post
    Once you start playing back from either CDP or PC,
    you have this clocking issue called jitter (phase noise) .
    Did you mean the HD or the CD in a PC?
    As far as I am informed the clockrate in a CD Rom is performed in different way than in a HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    Did you mean the HD or the CD in a PC?
    As far as I am informed the clockrate in a CD Rom is performed in different way than in a HD.

Yes you are right. During playback HD > Sondkarte is the only source of the jitter, the clock generator on the Sondkarte.

regards
    juergen

Quote Originally Posted by readswift View Post
    so no Sir, it cannot be *that* simple thing to kick the ML out of its playground.

http://www.lessloss.com/computer_audio_usb.html
    This link is hilarious.
    I particularly like that statement, among others:
    Playing the file from a deeply embedded folder instead of from top of directory:
    Audible.
    Seems to have same effect when file path name is maximum length, regardless of directory structure. Probable reason -- buffering issue, since the music playback software takes considerably longer to load the data prior to playback in these cases.

Lightbulb

I am also using a RME FF800 and have found absolutly nothing comparable to it s direct HDD decoding sound..
    Got tubes?...then it's all good!

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    This link is hilarious.
    I particularly like that statement, among others:

Playing the file from a deeply embedded folder instead of from top of directory:
    Audible.
    Seems to have same effect when file path name is maximum length, regardless of directory structure. Probable reason -- buffering issue, since the music playback software takes considerably longer to load the data prior to playback in these cases.
    You can elimanate a lot of these issues with upgraded cables on the hard drive. Also I use Grumpy's Ding Dongs as a base for my computer, it takes away a lot of the jitters.

Thread Information