Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nicotrol for Project May Addict

Nicotrol for Project May Addict

As should be obvious, I am extremely excited and appreciative about the Project May initiative. For the first time in twenty years, my audiophile craving has been re-awakened and I am filled with anticipation. Since I can't buy a patch to control these cravings, I did the next best thing for an interim fix - a pristine pair of Altec Model 19's.

The owner bought them new in 1982 along with a complete Sansui rack system consisting an AU 717, TU717, DC3110 and turntable. He moved them into a small appartment where he could not play them. They sat unused, covered with sheets for the next twenty years. While this sounds outlandish, it has been been verified by a close friend that knew the owner's family. I took a look at all of this today and everything looks brand new - particularly the 19's. He still has the shipping cartons for them and the sales tags are still hanging from the speaker controls. There is not a scratch on the cabinets and the drivers are perfect. Even the foam surround that was placed around the 811 horn is perfect. This is like finding an L100 with the original foam grills in perfect shape.

I picked up the lot this morning for around $1,000US and it all arrives tomorrow. Pictures will follow.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Cool Congrats, and welcome...!!

Nice "patch", dood!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thumbs up And then there were #3

Welcome to the model 19 club Don
    That makes it 3 pairs in the peg!!!
    Are those in Walnut or Oak ???

Bo,

B/n you and Don we now have the dynamic duo...haha.

Actually I recall hearing a full demo by a dealer of the whole Altec range in the early 80's, the 19's and 15's were the pick of the bunch.

Ian

TimG
    Great, now the surround speaker problem is solved when the Project May arrives. Are you going to want to go with the same veneer on both systems?

Obsolete
    "Great, now the surround speaker problem is solved when the Project May arrives."

Definitely! The Project May thingies should (fingers crossed) make excellent rear channels for the Altecs!

Originally posted by Giskard
    Definitely! The Project May thingies should (fingers crossed) make excellent rear channels for the Altecs! [/B]
    Even if they don't, there's always the kitchen countertop. I'm sure they could give a Bose Wave radio a run for the money

BTW, there was a delivery screw up and I have yet to get the Altecs. They will be here later today.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Obsolete
    Oh! Raising the bar a bit lofty eh?

(Those Bose Wave doohickies are tough to beat, but only if you use a stick too small for the job)

Originally posted by Giskard
    Those Bose Wave doohickies are tough to beat...
    That's what's inside the 4345's. Don't tell Ian...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Altec 19's huh?
    I'd like a pair!!
    But get this; a guy is giving me a pair of vintage Koss 1A Electrostats, a 5 way full ESL design, this Saturday (driving up from Cinci).
    I've helped him search for a good home for them, but most of the suitors are out of state and he needs them out of the house NOW (he just got married). Says he is well off and doesn't want money, just a good owner. By default, that will now be me. They weigh 200+ lbs. each. I've heard some interesting things about these; they were only made one year. Anyway. I'll play with them for awhile and then who knows, maybe they're a Project May auction item. Should be interesting.
    I used to be a Magnepan guy, BTW. Sorry.

Like I need more big speaker stuff around the house. Any one of ya'll heard these??? They were supposed to be up there with some of the best ESL's?

Well, I just got them and them and neither compression driver works. I am pissed. However, it's not as bad as I originally thought.

I thought I might have been scammed and that the tweeters were blown. However, I just finished talking to Bill Hanuschak and the fact that they are not working is consistant with their age. They are the original Model 19 will all Alnico drivers. The original 802's used in these systems used very fragile beryllium leads. After sitting for years, and then being powered up, they can break. I took off one of the driver covers, and sure enough, the tinsel lead is snapped right at the bend. Bill was kind enough to sell me new diaphragms at dealer cost and the seller has agreed to compensate me for this.

Everything appears to be taken care of, but it will be at least another week before I can enjoy them. Another unfortunate problem is that I had to take out the foam inserts to remove the horns and examine the drivers. While the foam was in pefect shape, it isn't any more. They broke up into numerous pieces as I removed them. However, I think I've found someone selling replacements. Otherwise, the speakers do look to be in very good shape. The wood finish is unmarked, but could use a good oiling. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Obsolete
    "The wood finish is unmarked, but could use a good oiling. Any advice on this would be appreciated."

Brake fluid dood!

Oh wait, wrong thread...

Where'd he go, anyway...?
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    It wasn't pretty Bo...

55 gallon drum of Dot 3 in the back of a truck turning a corner on two wheels going 70 mph with the back gate down...

Guy sitting at the same corner in his car minding his own business (LE14A's piled up in the back seat)...

Good God man! Do I have to spell it out?

Man, I don't think I can stop laughing...!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information