Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rich & his bad boy 4345's

CLASS A

Rich & his bad boy 4345's

Just really want to say a big thanks to Rich letting me pop round to his place to check out his 4345 etc...

Ive always been a JBL fan and owned the 250TI Jubilee's in the past but the 4345's are something else....OMG, the sheer size of these monsters just look awesome and photos from the web does not do any justice until you see them in front of you with your own eyes.

I took along with me a well modified Marantz CD12+DA12 which I thought would suite the JBL's greatly and some of my own music. My cd's consisted of some female vocals, R&B and some tracks with deep bass.

Oh, before I go into the sound quality, let me just say that Rich is such a chilled out guy and we had a great evening lasting past mid night.....

Ok, after the player wormed up abit, I sat down to listen to these beasts and 1st impression is that it is very musical especially with female vocals and the mid band is very smooth valve like ( can listen all day kind of feeling ) the upper end was very natural without any harshness ( I did increased the upper frequency level maybe extra +3db to what Rich had it to my liking). The bass is very tight and fast and came to a shock to me because I expected it to be looser and with more extension for a 18" woofer, I was very wrong.....what ever Rich did to the cross overs, he did a great job with the values.

One thing I did point out to Rich and this is only my personal opinion after listening to my music in his system is that I would love to hear the Bassline with more bottom end extension keeping the tightness that it has...that would be my perfect speakers....
    Certain tracks of mine which I know well lost the kind of sweeping wave like kind of bass that hits you in the face and make you wanna say "WDF" if you know what I mean which In my current system will give you. Rich was interested in my views and adviced me that they are planning to fine tune the cross over.....Lets see what will happen and It will be very interesting....
    Anyway, we planned to meet again tomorrow but this time it will be at my place for a blast at my system which I hope won't disapoint Rich.

Thanks again Rich for a great evening... its been educational...

BTW, my current system consist of the following:

SACD/CD Player: Esoteric X-01
    Pre amp: Gryphon Sonata Allegro
    Power amps: Gryphon Ref-1 mono blocks
    Speakers: B&W N800
    Subwoofer: Velodyne DD15 ( integrated into the system with RTA room frequency correction)

Thanks all and cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

What compression driver and horn were you listening too??

Rob

CLASS A
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    What compression driver and horn were you listening too??

Rob
    They're the Dusted-2435 and K2-H9800.

Cheers

Class A, thanks for the story. Regarding your perception of the LF performance at Rich's, I tend to think the same here in my situation. I thought it was my room and perhaps also due to the fact that my 4345's are well away from my walls. I notice he has his "out there" as well.

A couple of SUB1500's really make a big difference with some of the music I listen to.

CLASS A
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    Class A, thanks for the story. Regarding your perception of the LF performance at Rich's, I tend to think the same here in my situation. I thought it was my room and perhaps also due to the fact that my 4345's are well away from my walls. I notice he has his "out there" as well.

A couple of SUB1500's really make a big difference with some of the music I listen to.
    Chas,

I'am sure also if the 4345's are nearer to a back wall, it will enhance the LF performance extension. I personally would also use some large floor spikes or some sort of isolation frame/platform that are solid enough to couple to the floor. This will ensure the LF will be solid /tight.

Chas, seems like you're a bass junkie too with your additional 1500's. If I own a pair of the 4345's, I would add a pair of velodyne DD15/DD18 to ensure I have a flat bass response down to 20hz and room frequency corrected without any dips or hills.
    The Velodyne's DD series are very flexable and are not restricted to room placement coupled with its onboard 1000W class D amplifier its the best upgrade I've done in years. The difference with the sub is like night and day, not only the LF performance improved, also it has opened up the whole mid range.. I since cannot listen to music without the sub being on.

Cheers

leif
    Great picture and description.
    How do you compare them with dodays state of the art speakers? I see you own a pair of B&W 800 also. How are they compare?

10 cubic feet

Guy's,
    thanks for the feed-back. The LF issue is something GT talked about. Perhaps his suggestion of a 10 ft2 enclosure is the answer ! I did think about it at , but being my first project, I was reluctant to start free-styling.

Anyway, my turn. I'm off to class A's gaff for some aural-sex

Rich

Chas, seems like you're a bass junkie too with your additional 1500's. If I own a pair of the 4345's, I would add a pair of velodyne DD15/DD18 to ensure I have a flat bass response down to 20hz and room frequency corrected without any dips or hills

Not much of a "bass junkie" these days! But, I do insist on hearing all there is to hear, if at all possible! I think we are on the same page, though.

My SUB1500's are independently EQ'd and run quite nicely down to 18-20 Hz. Near DIY earthquake stuff, if one is so inclined...

Also, individual subs provide with me room placement versatility allowing concentration on LF reinforcement in the sub 40 Hz zone- opposed to different issues for best 4345 set-up criteria.

CLASS A
    Quote Originally Posted by leif View Post
    Great picture and description.
    How do you compare them with dodays state of the art speakers? I see you own a pair of B&W 800 also. How are they compare?
    My personal views comparing Rich's 4345 to my N800 is that the N800 are more detailed and dynamic...the pace is faster. I cannot comment on the standard 4345 but with Rich's, they are very articulate. best way to discribe the sound is much like panel speakers, the start stop on the midband is magical with no overhang.
    The LF on Rich's have a very slight boom effect kind of sound whereas my N800 as we call it over here.." as tight as a duck's ass" Lol.
    I'am sure with abit more careful placement and isolation to the floor, they can/will sound awesome.

Anyway, Rich just called and I'll be off to pick him up from the train station shortly. We will keep you posted with our findings.

Cheers all...

Thanks guys!

Interesting set of speakers to compare.

B&W with their hallmark 'British Sound' and the stereotypic 'California Sound' of JBL.

What you were hearing is correct.

In full passive mode there is evidence of a small rise on the response @100 hz which is a function of the passive LF filter. Biamping is the prefered mode of operation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Biamping is the prefered mode of operation.
    No doubt in my mind about this. Running full passive does not do justice to the 4345 and likely, all the bi-ampable 4300 series.

Awsome

well,

as my host preps some supper I sit and enjoy both a wonderful sound and hostpitality . Female vocals on truly brilliant kit can cause my eyes to leak However, my 4345's are on par in every respect with the N800's . And , considering the there has to be about $80,000 between the recording and my ear ,I'm even more happy with mine and Guido's little Knock up's . I have made comments about certain qualities I'd like to improve and caused a few curt words and raised eyebrows. At first I was pissed off with it and now I just . The 4345's are not plug and play, they take tailoring . I have some real clever boy's in my corner helping . Ian, Guido, Merlin,saeman, 4313b ( when not on diaper duty) and many others here on the forum .The sound I'm after is in that big blue box . I have every faith in them. Someone said that you would have to spend a hell of alot to find a modern equivelant,they were'nt bullsitting.
    B & W are a touch of class, so are the 45's except the 45's do nasty very well also. IMO the horn 10inch combo are what sets them apart from

mere mortals

rich

Californication

The 'California Sound' will forever be known as ... doing nasty very well.

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS A View Post
    They're the Dusted-2435 and K2-H9800.
    Cheers
    Thanks for sharing your impression.
    You should know that Rich and myself didn't REALLY start to modify the 4345 crossover for that combo.
    You heard a proto proto prototype.

Thread Information