Thread: 117H-1 needs recone

117H-1 needs recone

I was doing a resurround on a 117H-1 and I messed something up. Is there someone out there who can do a recone?

What did you mess up?

117H-1 recone kit is NLA from the factory.

Maybe yours can be saved?
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thanks Edge, I appreciate your getting back. I was afraid of that.

I was going around the back edge of the cone removing the remains of the old surround. When I was done, the cone was no longer free to move back and fourth. I have a very bad feeling about this.

What I got were a pair of gently used L46s with the original surrounds. One of them was brittle but intact, the other had some cracks, but they still played OK. I had successfully put new surrounds on a pair of these a few years ago and it seemed like the thing to do. On this set, the old surround came off the back of the cone fairly easily

What got me in trouble was that the old surrounds on the current pair were fused to the back of the cone like there was a molecular bond and in my efforts to get them off, the voice coils got mutilated. Looking back, I should have left them there and glued the new surrounds over them. The glue seems to keep them from turning to powder so maybe this would have worked out. I'm sure I would have gotten a better result this way. Likely, someone here knows better.

At this point, I believe these speakers are toast. If there was any mention of this scenario on the site here I never found it. All I can do is learn from my mistakes and describe the situation in the hope that this doesn't happen to someone else.

Post pics of your woofer. There are 2 types of L46 117h-1, 1982 style and 1983. The outer frame of the latter is larger. Both bolt up the same though.

You looking for one or 2 now.

Yank
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

I don't have a camera so I tried to do it on my scanner, but it was ugly. I don't know if it helps, but it measures about 6 1/2 inches accross the spokes. Unfortunately I trashed them both.

ecl86
    I had my JBL woofers refoamed from Houston Speakers Refoaming Services, they were professional, courteous, prompt and exceeded all of my expectations! I highly recommend their services.

Their link is below.

http://late9sound.dyndns.org/

Thanks for the recommendation. They aren't terribly far from here. It's too late for these woofers, they need to be reconed now and the kits are not available. But, one way or another, these little JBLs will play again.

I have located a set of replacements (thanks bigyank), but I really hate to waste the motors, so I will send them to Orange County Speakers to try the after market recone kits they offer. I hope they are worthy -- review will follow.

It was a rush when I successfully resurrounded a set of these a couple of years ago, but it sucked when I messed up my current set. I think that in the future, it would be best to leave this kind of work to the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusnzha View Post
    I have located a set of replacements (thanks bigyank), but I really hate to waste the motors, so I will send them to Orange County Speakers to try the after market recone kits they offer. I hope they are worthy -- review will follow.

It was a rush when I successfully resurrounded a set of these a couple of years ago, but it sucked when I messed up my current set. I think that in the future, it would be best to leave this kind of work to the pros.

hey Russ;

one of the BEST guys for that is here in KC.. John at splice....

Thread Information