Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J's & H's and Compression Drivers & More

Just in case I can't find all the 2220H woofers I want, what's the next choice for high efficency that I would have a good chance of actually finding?

2227 sounds like a good option!

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Just in case I can't find all the 2220H woofers I want, what's the next choice for high efficency that I would have a good chance of actually finding?
    I'm curious of how much the 2227's cost and where to located them if my 2220B's don't actually work in the horns. So far all I have done is test the 2220B's on the WT2 to verify they aren't fried.

Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

2227 seem to be quite rare. At least, on Ebay. I've been looking for quite a while for both 2220's and 2227's and I have yet to see a 2227 come up. So whoever has 'em, I want 'em! A pair at the minimum - four would be better.

Maron Horonzakz
    The 2227 are very efficient but i wouldnt call them a woofer...They seem enemick ,,,weak on the bass.

I'm sure to get blasted but if you are looking for efficiency and dynamics and will be using a subwoofer I think it's hard to beat a D130 and they aren't rare. I'm crossing a pair at 120 right now I was trying 200 but my 2245's sounded muddy that way. I think if you get the originals that were made to handle 25 watts they are more accurate but I wouldn't bet major money on it. They were never famous for being linear but I think they were accurate in other ways. They could make a good recording more enjoyable and a bad one unlistenable. When you beef the suspension up to handle a couple hundred watts you have to lose something.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    The 2227 are very efficient but i wouldnt call them a woofer...They seem enemick ,,,weak on the bass.
    Well, you see, that's just it. I don't really need great bass in the main speaker as I will be adding subwoofers. For good bass in the main speakers the speaker volume would have to be even larger and overall less efficient and what would be the point if subwoofers are going to be used.

So, I ask: What are the JBL 15" woofers that a.) are not that difficult to obtain b.) are the most efficient c.) have a low QTS. c.) are not going to cost me collectors prices?

I wanted to keep my project all JBL, but if I can't find what I want I'll have to go with some other manufacturer.

RIP 2009
    2226H drivers are always on eBay. Note the 2226H and 2226HPL are the same speaker - the HPL's just go into JBL OEM cabinets. They're more often used in high-output bass reflex cabinets, but I bet they'd also do pretty well in horn cabinets...

I have an extra pair of 2226H's if you're interested. http://www.jblpro.com/pages/pub/components/2226.pdf

John

JBL stopped making 100dB woofers because it's no longer necessary to do sound reinforcement with 60 watt amplifiers and haul around the big cabinets that those woofers require. It's cheaper to buy big amplifiers. Those woofers are available on the used market; you'll have to look until you find them.

You don't have to pay collector's prices for 2220x. You just have to look until you find them.

Altec 416's and 515's are very nice, but there again--collector's prices.

Great Plains Audio has modern counterparts of those Altecs; I don't know the price. Around $300-400 apiece, I think.

If you can settle for 97 dB you can buy the 2226 new at a little over $300 each at us speaker.

I also think you might find the 12" 2206 interesting. Do a search on these forums for that and you will find a lot of enthusiasm for that driver in your kind of system. It is available new for just under $300 at us speaker.

I suggest you study these products using the library and Search function here, the literature at JBL Pro and Great Plains Audio and make a choice.

Good luck with your project.

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    JBL stopped making 100dB woofers because it's no longer necessary to do sound reinforcement with 60 watt amplifiers and haul around the big cabinets that those woofers require. It's cheaper to buy big amplifiers. Those woofers are available on the used market; you'll have to look until you find them.

You don't have to pay collector's prices for 2220x. You just have to look until you find them.

Altec 416's and 515's are very nice, but there again--collector's prices.

Great Plains Audio has modern counterparts of those Altecs; I don't know the price. Around $300-400 apiece, I think.

If you can settle for 97 dB you can buy the 2226 new at a little over $300 each at us speaker.

I also think you might find the 12" 2206 interesting. Do a search on these forums for that and you will find a lot of enthusiasm for that driver in your kind of system. It is available new for just under $300 at us speaker.

I suggest you study these products using the library and Search function here, the literature at JBL Pro and Great Plains Audio and make a choice.

Good luck with your project.

David
    David: Much good advice. One thing I felt uneasy about is depending on drivers with no current counterpart, just in the wild chance that someone might want a pair or, more likely, I might want to make another set for myself. I've wondered if my requirement for 15"'ers is maybe too much and I should be looking at 12"ers, as I will now do. Perhaps the box will smaller and that's an advantage in my situation.

Thanks!

Thread Information