Thread: What to pair with a JBL D130

What to pair with a JBL D130

I bet this has been covered before but I must be searching for the wrong terms...

I have a pair of vintage JBL D130s that were taken out of a pair of JBL cabinets (they had been stripped, I was not there)... I have the woofers and nothing more. I build a good number of home stereos and tube amps. I would like to perhaps make some home speakers out of them. What would you normally pair with them on a budget. I have a fair sized listening room, and can build anything, but I would be on a budget (I can not buy $500 each vintage JBL drivers and horns).

Is there some past project or some known configuration for a D130 + ?? (just a horn, or a mid + horn...) Or put another way, what is the optimal home setup with the D130?

Thanks.

If they are with original paper sourround, they are worth a lot. Just post pictures of them here.

Yes, I know they are worth some money. I have bought and sold plenty of them as I build guitar amps, but this is the first
    pair that I ran across that were in home stereo and sold as a pair. I just want to know if they are nice for some home
    speakers and what to use as tweeters or mid/tweeters or a single horn and crossover.

Obsolete
    The least expensive solution I can think of would be to use one of Zilch's Econowave top ends with them.

I believe they are very nice midranges. I also believe that you can use them for back loaded horns. Try to find 4530 cabs. Use any JBL or Altec 1 inch driver with 2370 horns from 1,5 kHz. They have a limited xmax, so you will not be able to play loud bass using them.

Thread Information