Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Member's who have passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post

Imagine...being banned for after-life too
    Stop it, you guys are killing me!

Falling of my chair here.

I do not think this is a funny thread. I would like the forum members to know the time I m not here anymore.

That is why I have written my name and password in a "little book" that among other things, says to tell to you all.

I hope it will be some time for that, but one never knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    I do not think this is a funny thread. I would like the forum members to know the time I m not here anymore.

That is why I have written my name and password in a "little book" that among other things, says to tell to you all.
    Hi Rolf,
    Please know that no disrespect was intended to this thread or its subject matter and I am sorry that you were offended by some of the tom-foolery displayed herein. I think that Edge has brought up a very valid point, it is a serious topic worthy of the attention and input of us all. Harvey Gerst is 70 and I can understand where he is coming from, I am in my forties, but both out ages are really inconsequential to a ceratin point. I am not going to wax philosophically here but to tell you the truth I was surprised that this thread has not gotten more feedback from the active members here. The subject may be a little bit too morbid for some of us. Who knows, some people might not want to even think about the subject at all. Your Idea of the "little book" that contains your name and password to this site is a very very good one, I had thought of something along those lines a couple of weeks before Edge started the tread. In either case I think some sort of plan of action should be respectfully considered.
    Just because we are discussing death doesnt mean we cant poke a little fun at it along the way does it?
    I'm thinking Woody Allen with "Grimmy" in Love & Death.

Regards

Fred

I agree with you Krunchy, in the matter of speaking and joking about life and death. This topic is probably one of the most joked about, and I don't see any reason why we should not joke a little about it. One thing in certain, we are all going to die.

I am not offended by any of the statements in this thread, just wanted to speak my meaning.

And yes, in our life today, with all of the necessary computer passwords, I believe having a "note book" telling the ones that comes after us what to do is necessary. How else will they know what to do about it? I keep mine in a safe deposit box together with other items (in my bank) and I upgrade it when necessary.

We are in different ages here on the forum. As I can "read it" most of us are well grown up people. You are right that some don't even want to think about, and are far away from talking about death. But this is a part of life we all should do something about.

I have no plan of dying for many years, but to accept that I someday will, and making preparations for that day, I believe is a wise thing to do.

By the way ... I "hate" Woody Allen. When he, or one of his movies are shown on TV I almost "kill" the remote to change channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    By the way ... I "hate" Woody Allen. When he, or one of his movies are shown on TV I almost "kill" the remote to change channel.
    Hi Rolf,
    I have noticed that people either love or hate Woody, that in itself is funny to me. How about Monty Python's the meaning of life, when death comes-a-knocking.
    I saw this cartoon somewhere (Gahan Wilson?) and will try to convey it in words, I appologise in advance if it comes off lame, I was never good at telling jokes.....The Grimm Reaper walks into a fancy cosmopolitan
    restaurant scythe in hand, the maitre "d" notices him and is instantly made very uneasy by his appearence, Mr. Reaper calmly addreses him with, "relax, I just want a good table!"

Getting back on topic (we were off topic?)
    It seems like there are two options, one is that the
    administrators/moderators address this in some fashion, the other is that we all set up some sort of personal system of our own desing ala T-Dome's or Rolf's.

???

Docspeakers
    Hmm, how about an OLDEST member list? I'll be 81 in January... I'm sure I'll be here soon,, but hopefully not too soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Docspeakers View Post
    Hmm, how about an OLDEST member list? I'll be 81 in January... I'm sure I'll be here soon,, but hopefully not too soon..
    You say, has my respect. 81, still interested in JBL.

One of my family just past away was 92. Still he was upgoing. I miss him so much,

Docspeakers
    I have had more speaker systems come through my home than anyone would probably imagine... Not all were JBL, but many were, had a lot of Altecs too.. I have enjoyed viewing the information in the library section, some of the articles brought back a lot of memories.

I have viewed these forums for the past few months, just didn't know how to set up an account till my grandson helped me. If anyone has any questions about some older Altec/JBL speakers, chances are I'll have something to say.. I've heard just about all of them.. My interest in the hobby sorta stopped in the 70's and I got rid of a lot of things, but luckily I have kept some of them, and didn't know that anyone cared about all this old gear... which I have to admit I still have a lot of. Never got into the black boxes of the 80's and really don't know much about anything newer.. but am always willing to learn more... whats the point to life without the potential to learn something new? But I may be hard to change, as I'm sorta set in my ways and don't totally understand what all the hype is all about with a lot of this newer gear.

I am retired and have plenty of time to share old memories with those interested., just go easy on an Old Man, I'm not too good on a computer.

I have had more speaker systems come through my home than anyone would probably imagine... Not all were JBL, but many were, had a lot of Altecs too.. I have enjoyed viewing the information in the library section, some of the articles brought back a lot of memories.

I have viewed these forums for the past few months, just didn't know how to set up an account till my grandson helped me. If anyone has any questions about some older Altec/JBL speakers, chances are I'll have something to say.. I've heard just about all of them.. My interest in the hobby sorta stopped in the 70's and I got rid of a lot of things, but luckily I have kept some of them, and didn't know that anyone cared about all this old gear... which I have to admit I still have a lot of. Never got into the black boxes of the 80's and really don't know much about anything newer.. but am always willing to learn more... whats the point to life without the potential to learn something new? But I may be hard to change, as I'm sorta set in my ways and don't totally understand what all the hype is all about with a lot of this newer gear.

I am retired and have plenty of time to share old memories with those interested., just go easy on an Old Man, I'm not too good on a computer.
    You are welcome to the forum. (Is that right said?)

Welcome the Forum, Doc.

You've already proven your worth to me, here. Before you become computer literate, you must become literate, and it's clear to me that you are. Probably before most of us here were born. I look forward to your bringing your years of wisdom to share with us.

Post away in good health and good humor.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I agree with the others... Docspeakers, you are most welcome here. Please post when you can. A survey of some of the speakers you have owned over the years and your impressions of them would make for fascinating reading.

As for the Grim Reaper, I was shocked recently to hear that a 57 year old acquiaintance had died in July. Seems he was diabetic, developed an infection in his foot and procrastinated seeking treatment until he was in really bad shape. He fell into a coma on the way to the hospital and died the next day from kidney and liver failure. Such a shame! He was highly intelligent, an accomplished audio circuit and recording engineer. It wouldn't hurt to share this story with other diabetics; those infections are serious business.

Steve I wonder if he waited too long because he did not have Medical Insurance???

I hope not, but I have heard tales of this before.

I Do not want to start left wing, right wing debate here but really something needs to change in the U.S.A.

Perhaps when one of the members here passes away, we could have one of the moderators simply change the title (underneath the name) to reflect the member's lifetime.

Mine would be read, for example:

Harvey Gerst
    1937-2007

It would be a simple way to honor a deceased member in a very quiet way, yet note they were no longer with us.

Note: I have absolutely NO intention of passing away this year; this was only an example of how it could be done.

00Robin
    When my darling Grandpa passed away,I sold my bigger home and moved into his. It was something I did NOT want to do,but my parents felt it was best financially at the time. I really drug my heels over it.
    Well,having his home with every single thing,every drawerful of ever minute gadget nut or bolt or whatever and his Mohair sweaters,which I still wear when its cold ended up being the sweetest gift a granddaughter could EVER imagine. And that spring,his bulb garden began to bloom and I saw,by every tenderloin in the freezer and all his martini shakers and crystal glassaes and all the dusty goodies in his garage that I was the beholder of one of my dearset men's things I held and hold still dear to my heart. All of his library and all 12 different and unbelieveable dictionaries. Books,records, a KLH turntable in wood with,get this, 12 new stylus to always be prepared. His wd-40 collection of extenders that magically ended up in his pocket and in a drawer of a giant wooden desk from the Eames era with chrome legs. I think he had a great fear of never having enough extenders. I think the local hardware was on to him too.
    But my point is...with Grandpa and my even MORE darling Daddy, a WWII vet,the first into Hiroshima and Nagasaki as it still burned,were two men I adored and every single nut and widget and plane and drill,be it the hand held variety(God,with that GIANT wooden hand thing) or a cordless they sat on the shelf to collect dust("Isn't really worth a damn")are the loving memories of what the collected and held dear and all the great fix it and building advice a lady could ever want.
    THATS how I feel about you guys. I get to listen in on your short lined coffee breaked or beer dranked influence and education about the love of sound. And that is a present not enough people will ever get to enjoy. And I love being allowed to learn. Quietly,or quieter,so maybe it will sink in.

Thread Information