Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Member's who have passed away.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Member's who have passed away.

This is particularly for the moderators.

I was just reading a post that was replied to after 3 years of dormancy, and I was a little disturbed that the previous poster was Tom Loizeaux.

It would be awkward for a newer member to send a PM or reply to posts of someone such as Tom who has passed away....and waiting for a response.

Here's my question. Is it possible to notate a late member's profile stating that they are no longer with us in life? I'm sure it's not an easy task to keep up with or even know how many members are indeed deceased, but I think it would be appropriate to note the profiles of those that are knowingly gone.

Thanks for considering this topic.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I agree. I've PM'd several folks over the years to let them know not to wait for a response
    or get impatient and say something they'll likely regret. A Custom User Title entry would
    seem a reasonable way to convey this somewhat sensitive information. People would
    still miss it, but it might cut down on one form of unfortunate/misplaced noise.

Perhaps a date span might be appropriate (if known)? How to convey this with a sense
    of honor and dignity is worth thinking about first...

Perhaps last used "Title" preceded by "Former" -and- a date span... or... ???

-grumpy

Geez guys,

I'm 70 years old; I don't wanna hear about that stuff.

I'm only "half-century" aged....

But I agree with Harvey!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
    Geez guys,

I'm 70 years old; I don't wanna hear about that stuff.
    JBL Pro for home use!

Maybe we can just put a note on the profile that the member is no longer active on the forum??

Rob

Isn't that how this thread started? It doesn't seem like it could possibly be that hard. If it is,
    maybe we should let this -thread- die, and just respond to uninformed users when appropriate, like we have been.

Docspeakers
    I have had more speaker systems come through my home than anyone would probably imagine... Not all were JBL, but many were, had a lot of Altecs too.. I have enjoyed viewing the information in the library section, some of the articles brought back a lot of memories.

I have viewed these forums for the past few months, just didn't know how to set up an account till my grandson helped me. If anyone has any questions about some older Altec/JBL speakers, chances are I'll have something to say.. I've heard just about all of them.. My interest in the hobby sorta stopped in the 70's and I got rid of a lot of things, but luckily I have kept some of them, and didn't know that anyone cared about all this old gear... which I have to admit I still have a lot of. Never got into the black boxes of the 80's and really don't know much about anything newer.. but am always willing to learn more... whats the point to life without the potential to learn something new? But I may be hard to change, as I'm sorta set in my ways and don't totally understand what all the hype is all about with a lot of this newer gear.

I am retired and have plenty of time to share old memories with those interested., just go easy on an Old Man, I'm not too good on a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Docspeakers View Post
    I have had more speaker systems come through my home than anyone would probably imagine... Not all were JBL, but many were, had a lot of Altecs too.. I have enjoyed viewing the information in the library section, some of the articles brought back a lot of memories.

I have viewed these forums for the past few months, just didn't know how to set up an account till my grandson helped me. If anyone has any questions about some older Altec/JBL speakers, chances are I'll have something to say.. I've heard just about all of them.. My interest in the hobby sorta stopped in the 70's and I got rid of a lot of things, but luckily I have kept some of them, and didn't know that anyone cared about all this old gear... which I have to admit I still have a lot of. Never got into the black boxes of the 80's and really don't know much about anything newer.. but am always willing to learn more... whats the point to life without the potential to learn something new? But I may be hard to change, as I'm sorta set in my ways and don't totally understand what all the hype is all about with a lot of this newer gear.

I am retired and have plenty of time to share old memories with those interested., just go easy on an Old Man, I'm not too good on a computer.
    You are welcome to the forum. (Is that right said?)

Welcome the Forum, Doc.

You've already proven your worth to me, here. Before you become computer literate, you must become literate, and it's clear to me that you are. Probably before most of us here were born. I look forward to your bringing your years of wisdom to share with us.

Post away in good health and good humor.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

I agree with the others... Docspeakers, you are most welcome here. Please post when you can. A survey of some of the speakers you have owned over the years and your impressions of them would make for fascinating reading.

As for the Grim Reaper, I was shocked recently to hear that a 57 year old acquiaintance had died in July. Seems he was diabetic, developed an infection in his foot and procrastinated seeking treatment until he was in really bad shape. He fell into a coma on the way to the hospital and died the next day from kidney and liver failure. Such a shame! He was highly intelligent, an accomplished audio circuit and recording engineer. It wouldn't hurt to share this story with other diabetics; those infections are serious business.

Steve I wonder if he waited too long because he did not have Medical Insurance???

I hope not, but I have heard tales of this before.

I Do not want to start left wing, right wing debate here but really something needs to change in the U.S.A.

Perhaps when one of the members here passes away, we could have one of the moderators simply change the title (underneath the name) to reflect the member's lifetime.

Mine would be read, for example:

Harvey Gerst
    1937-2007

It would be a simple way to honor a deceased member in a very quiet way, yet note they were no longer with us.

Note: I have absolutely NO intention of passing away this year; this was only an example of how it could be done.

Welcome to the forum Doc!
    We are glad to have you here. This place can be a lot of fun and there are a lot of very nice people here, all in all a great place. Take your time and dont worry about that computer, we look forward to hearing from you,

Fred

I to saw the dorment post.

It was a bit unusual to see,but considering that posted information really has an infinate life span its good to see Toms thoughts still being discussed.

I suggest that the Moderators create a new icon honoring those who have shared there time here and gone on.

I was thinking of a small eternal flame icon that would be added to all of the deceased members posts.Rolling over the icon could bring up a member deceased notation.

This sorta fits all religions and hopefully would not irritate anyone.

Thoughts???

Oldmics

I have an idea. Maybe the administrators could disable a deceased members PM,s, and leave a loving and polite note in his avatar or signature, along the lines of "Our dear departed friend and eternal member"?

If people read something like that most people would know, and IMO, Tom Loizuex may be gone, but he will always be a Lansing Heritage Member and someone many people really liked.

My 2 cents.
    scottyj

Thread Information