Thread: Can anyone ID these JBL corners

Can anyone ID these JBL corners

New to forum hope Im doing this right and in the right spot
    These were said to have been kit built by a University of Iowa physics professor in 1956 they were a course project. The d130 is unmistakable through the cloth but also has a tweeter and mid horn. I have not had them open but the grandson has pictures of the build and he too swears he has never opened them. It has a jbl crossover 2way on the rear but also has hand spun internal crossover with an external 8-position switch to activate the various options. He said he course goal was to reproduce orig. sound of a symphony to stage music hence the various crossover options. The cases weigh about 95lbs and appear to be burled walnut with a degreed oak face panel. I have a link to a small clip but my camera is very cheap so keep that in mind. Sound levels on a single ended 6bq5 amp are incredible. I bought them very cheap by running a wanted ad on our local Craigslist. They are bottom vented and the foot matches the curve of the lower cabinet. Dont know if they will stay as my wife is already complaining about thier size and lack of corners to put them in.

here is a clip of them working:
    http://www.trrap.com/downloads/jbl.MOV

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ctrrap; 08-31-2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Additional

not this but...

Well the size and off-center cone rules out the C34 ( 4430 ) so if it's a vented box, knowing what the crossover model number will help with the ID.

Otherwise it is impossible to ID these without the grill removed and even then it's only a guess given the similarity of some of the drivers possible on the same horn.

Best thing for you to do is open them up - esp if you plan on buying them them. THEN post a picture and maybe then we can ID the "kit" that was used.

sub

No, but my boy has a train set just like the one in the photo.

The cabinets are open on the bottom so the floor acts part of the vent??? I have a similar cabinet with a 12" Altec 601 coax in it. It's a University Cabinet but it's smaller than yours are. Other than that they are very similar. I wonder if you have a larger University cabinet with a JBL load??

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Agreed. They look just like the University cabinets that used to hold my JBLs..., complete with the floor ports and offset hole (originally for the mid).

When I changed them out for the L200 cabinets, the low bass got MUCH better than what it was (with 130As).

00Robin
    i wanna see more...more....please?

JBL 4645

“Round up the usual, JBL suspects.”

I’m not sure myself but those look like CV Cerwin Vega’s. Hello and welcome you’d find I have a odd sense of humour sorry about the line up! But you did say can anyone ID these loudspeakers.

00Robin
    hee! the "kinder big and dark" sent me skidding in the giant leather desk chair and I lost me a caster here somewhere's in the dark now...

Can anyone ID these

Yeah the Vegas are from a long gone era of my younger SAE Solid state days. My son had a graduation and wanted to make some noise so I set them up for his party I just have not tucked the back away yet.
    When I went tube I bought set of 416's a house fire claimed those and in the days before the internet just could not replace them. I settled Cizek model ones for a decade after auditioning every high end speaker within 120 miles still in my opinion some of the best tube speakers on the planet. My JBL stash includes these in the photo 2 sets of Decades one set of Century's. I keep them fresh and foamed for that mood that brings them out of mothball and on stage. I can easily push the Decades and Century's with a stereo 7027a amp but they lack the suttle sounds of the symphony I can hear with other speakers and less agressive amps in the stash.
    Ahhh but these JBLs and a single ended 6bq5 or PP 7408 have all of the qualitys I have been searhing for in reproduction since the 70's. To think in my younger days all of the rent that got put off so I could get the newest Infinity's. All the times my wife just didnt understand this obsession. Whoda thunk it? antique technology.
    Thanks for all of the help and I agree University's look identical only bigger. I may get brave enough to open them up and take a peek and post a pic if you care to know.
    Thanks again allot of great folks here.
    Mike

Thread Information