Thread: bendable plywood any good for cabs?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    scorpio

bendable plywood any good for cabs?

I'm building new bass enclosures and would like to give them a rounded shape similar to the B&W 800 series type. I would plan to use 3 or 4 layers of bendable plywood (sorry, I don't know if this is the correct technical term in English, it's direct translation from French). I would glue the sheets together using a very strong adhesive for floorboards that maintin some elastomeric quality when dried. Thing is, I don't know if this would make a 'good' cab or not, I don't see why it should not, but has anyone here attempted to make sharply curved cabinets, and if so, what did you use?

Thanks,

Hi Scorpio,

the only flex ply I would use is designed for boat building . 3 x 6mm layers. Use epoxy or polyester resin.Use a cotton based filler powder with the resin to create a gap filling paste. You don't want any flex to the cabinet , too hard to tune ! . You will need stiffeners every 150mm , 200mm max.

I will start making curved panels next week .I will start a thread. I dont think there is one yet. A JIG is a must.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
    ... , but has anyone here attempted to make sharply curved cabinets, and if so, what did you use?
    My local dealer has MDF with cuts from the back which can be bend easily.

scorpio
    Hi Hoerninger, I can get this type of MDF as well, do you know how sharp a radius you can make with this material? The plywood can make an 80 mm radius minimum, it's really very flexible. I was wondering if the MDF would not break along the kerf if bent too tight?

It's going to be applied as several skins over a matrix-type frame, I have little concern about flex in the cabinet when done. I'll shoot pics as I go along, maybe someday will post them

Cheers

You might want to PM Widget. He has used a similar material and may be able to help you out.

Rob

some good reading here too:

http://www.neatconcepts.com/

4-6" minimum radius (1/4" Neatform) - MDF
    6-8" min rad (3/8" Neatform) - MDF
    12" min radius (3/4 Neatflex) MDF + bending birch plywood

Buncha folks have done work with this concept in the past -
    John W, Widget and a couple of other projects I read about but can't find right away ...

Search this site for "bondo", "kerf", and other similar keywords to see what floats up from a few years ago!

Some of the work looks similar to the danish style TiK series - very cool!

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...t=bondo&page=3
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

How the Everest is made

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
    ... , do you know how sharp a radius you can make with this material? The plywood can make an 80 mm radius minimum, it's really very flexible. I was wondering if the MDF would not break along the kerf if bent too tight?
    Scorpio,

sorry for the delay.
    I have not found any information regarding the smallest radius. But I know it can be quite small without breaking.
    The attached picture shows how the new Everest is made, consisting of 9 mm and 16 mm MDF glued together (White Paper).

(http://www.soundstage2.com/lasvegas2007/showstop03.html)

I saw a couple of laminated plywood cab casings and they looked a lot sturdier than expected. I'd try one, to be sure.

Thread Information