Thread: offset when refoaming

offset when refoaming

I'm in the process of putting a new surround on a 2245. As it sits, cone up, no surround, it has almost no inward travel. Other than pulling the dust cap and putting the cone where I want it and shimming it till the glue is dry, is there anyway to bias the "at rest" position in the correct position? Can I give it a slight dc current? I could rig something quick and dirty with a wall wart and a 317 regulator. Can I give it enough dc to move it without frying it? What if instead of giving it a low frequency ac signal I give it a half wave (so I don't get 120 pulses) 60 Hz signal) I should be able to make it go the direction I want and it should still cool itself, shouldn't it?

What happens if you invert the driver face down?? Does it come out the other way the same amount?? Is the spider giving you equal range both ways or is it biased to the one side?? If the drivers sits for a long time gravity will have it's way and bias the spider to one side.

What I have done on a couple of drivers is take out the old trusty 1000 watt hair drier and gently heat the spider up. Gravity will pull the cone in the opposite direction. Sometimes the spider will come back the other way while it's warm/hot. Let it slowly cool off with the driver positioned on edge like it would be in a cabinet. It's worked for me for 3 of 5 drivers I tried it with. Two of them must have been that way for years as no amount of coaxing could get them to come back the other way.

Rob

Thread Information