Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lansing-related Patent Parade

Another one from Bell, for the horn embodied in the WE and Altec 32x bent horns. Various angled throat adapters may have been derived here as well.

ACOUSTIC DEVICE
    Patent number: 1996743
    Filing date: Apr 25, 1934
    Issue date: Apr 1935
    Inventor: D. G. BLATTNER
    Assignee: Bell Telephone Laboratories

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Moldyoldy, I applaud your efforts in establishing this thread.
    Me too.

As posted elsewhere...

-----

That Google Patent Search is amazing. I search patents all the time, but have always stuck to the USPTO website. I pay $3 a copy from them, when I need hardcopy. I've been waiting days for turnaround on some new requests, and found them - BINGO - with that Google Patent search. Thanks for the tip, dood.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Google accomplishes in a matter of months what the USPTO hasn't been able to in over a century?

How can that be?

[And we're paying these guys, right? ]

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Google accomplishes in a matter of months what the USPTO hasn't been able to in over a century?
    Yea...

, but...

A collegue and I were marvelling at the potential Google is making possible. As example, notwithstanding the issues of copyright, if Google do manage to archive libraries of books/research, the positive impact is enormous.

My thesis work, as example, consumed over a years-time on literature research alone - this done in-parallel to the lab work. The literature research was done by meticulous combing the references of each scientific article, trudging back to Library for another round of copying/reading and/or requesting copies of work from scientific journals. Repeat. Repeat, again. Turnaround was weeks in length - often articles would finally arrive only to have either been made redundant or fundamental by other found literature. Arduous, inefficient and fraught with the nasty problem of not knowing of some critically relevant work. That part of research will be vastly smartened-up by this, accelerating the whole process. Incredibly promising, and, problematic (from an IP perspective).
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Kinda puts the potential for exponential expansion in a whole new light, doesn't it?

I've been wondering about the potential of applying the technology to our image library...

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    Kinda puts the potential for exponential expansion in a whole new light, doesn't it?
    Yea, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    I've been wondering about the potential of applying the technology to our image library...
    Yea, EXACTLY!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    The literature research was done by meticulous combing the references of each scientific article, trudging back to Library for another round of copying/reading and/or requesting copies of work from scientific journals. Repeat. Repeat, again.
    Bo, axactly -
    this way I once started to collect horn literature
    [and no one else seemed to share an interest.]

Yet by the internet alone there has been such an increase in available and new literature, it is a joy. Yes, sort of exponential expansion!
    [And there are others interested too.]

Moldyoldy, patent search by Google is a sort of refinement now. Thank you for the hint! I had used http://www.pat2pdf.org/ so far, but there is no search function.

Another useful tip;

Once you've located an item of interest, do a side search on the inventor. Often, other aspects of the item of interest will be revealed. This is how I finally found the (above) diaphragm assembly technique I'd searched for so long.

What an excellent effort,and very interesting indeed. I will be reading quite a while on this stuff as it is a lot of fun to search this stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Yea...

, but...

A collegue and I were marvelling at the potential Google is making possible. As example, notwithstanding the issues of copyright, if Google do manage to archive libraries of books/research, the positive impact is enormous....
    (warranted OT...read on...)

Sometimes I'm reminded that when I had hair, it was blond...don't know how your comment blew right by without notice, Bo. In reply, your wish has not only been researched, but put into practice;

Google Scholar provides a simple way to broadly search for scholarly literature. From one place, you can search across many disciplines and sources: peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, abstracts and articles, from academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories, universities and other scholarly organizations.

Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Facilitating library access to scholarly texts brings us one step closer to this goal. We're thankful to the libraries and librarians who make it possible. Support for Libraries

Simply put, it's freakin; awesome! Copyrights are protected. Like an AES search, you get a 'taste', to see if it's what you want. Then, you are given the best options to get the rest. If it's in your local library, you'll know. Apprears to be mutually beneficial to all concerns. This old dog is sure learning some new tricks, anyway.

(Edited) Another Altec microphone, the "lipstick" M-20x, in two patents, one by Wm. Moreland, assigned to George Carrington, the other by George Carrington, unassigned. Anybody know "the rest of the story"?

CONDENSER MICROPHONE STRUCTURE
    Patent number: 2567889
    Filing date: Feb 24, 1950
    Issue date: Sep 1951
    Inventor: William J. Moreland
    Assignee: George L Carrington

MICROPHONE SOUND PASSAGE STRUCTURE
    Patent number: 2567875
    Filing date: Feb 24, 1950
    Issue date: Sep 1951
    Inventor: George L. Carrington
    No Assignee

Another “team” mic design, from Robert Marshall and Wm. Harry of Bell Labs, embodied in the WE and Altec 639x “Birdcage” mic.

This one was tricky to pin down due to the (as yet unexplained) time span between patent filings. I found the design patent first, so I knew there had to be more, but it took several external references to put it together. Marshall and Harry were still testing and writing about it well into the 40s.

Guess it just stands to reason that once you've found the easy ones, the rest will be harder. Wish I had one of each item NIB with the patent numbers on it, but I suppose if I did, I'd be slurping rum on some beach, instead of sleuthing patents and sippin' 'shine...

ACOUSTIC DEVICE
    Patent number: 2293258
    Filing date: Nov 24, 1939
    Issue date: Aug 18, 1942
    Inventor: William R. Harry

DESIGN FOR A TELEPHONE TRANSMITTER
    Patent number: D112756
    Filing date: Jul 1, 1933
    Issue date: Dec 27, 1938
    Inventor: Robert N. Marshall

Note gleaned along the way;

Effective 10/01/1949, WE discontinued Sound Products Division, including production and service of the following models, and transferred all related engineering info, existing inventory, and parts stock for same to Altec Lansing for continued product support;

633 type microphone
    639 type microphone
    728B
    109 type reproducer group
    9A type reproducers
    9B type reproducers

Distribution to be continued through Graybar Electric as before.

(from WE ad in Nov. 1949 issue of Audio Engineering)

Correction to post #16;

Substitute 31x for 32x embodiment

Correction to post 26;

Substitute M-21xx for M-20x

Awesome, cheaper than bowling, model railroading etc. Extremely interested in the flat wire origins. It's benefit in rheostats is so obvious it would be interesting to find out if that had anything at all to do with its use in vc's. The benefits obviously are not for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom View Post
    ...The benefits obviously are not for the same reason.
    Perhaps, there are certainly applications where the beef of a heavy roundwire coil is needed. Edgewound coils have a "flatter" outer profile with the valleys between turns considerably reduced. For rheostats, that means smoother operation and finer adjustment, but reduced contact area unless the wiper contact is enlarged to compensate. For pots that don't handle much current, it's a win/win. VCs benefit from increased turns in a given length, and the flatter profile allows more coil in near proximity of the poles, = greater Bl.

Have you noticed the lack of any mention of 'skin theory' when the author is trying to sell his idea to someone that understands the subject?

"Awesome, cheaper than bowling, model railroading etc."

Mom would say, "And it's good for you too!"

Thread Information