Originally posted by Oldmics
(snip)

I don"t want to get off the JBL forum about blistering hi freqs but I would LOVE to hear the T.A.D. ET-703 or the Tannoy super tweeter before I settled on upper octive hardware purchases.I also wish that I had wav. files of this stuff to back up my opinions.Oh well, time marchs on!Best regards and happy listening , Oldmics
I haven't heard the TAD in question, but I work at a Tannoy dealer, and I HAVE heard the Tannoy supertweeter, mated with the Saturn 10 and D700 (both of which have the traditional-style dual-concentric with the tulip-horn in the bass driver). Lemme say, its effect is subtle, but important- it opened the soundstage RIGHT UP, even wider than normal for the Saturns (which is kinda amazing, since they can "place a double bass back in the left rear corner, outside the speakers" better than most already). Also, it seemed to make the sound more "coherent" overall, which is also amazing, since that is ANOTHER thing the speakers in question already do very well. Definitely an improvement. Whether they're worth $1000 a pair to an individual user, well, that's a personal judgement... but if you use them to make a $5000 or $10000 speaker better, then, well...

I would love to hear what these could do, with say, a pair of JBL speakers using the LE20, 25 or 26 cone tweeter, or with a 175-based system... if we get another pair of supertweeters, I'm gonna hook them up with a pair of L26s or my L77s (if they're still around then)... it would seem to be just the thing, to "air out" the top octave on stuff with big treble drivers...

Regards,
Gordon.