Thread: JBL L112 - Crossover Confusion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

JBL L112 - Crossover Confusion

Ok, I did a little searching on this but didn't get all my questions answered. Hopefully I won’t confuse everyone. So, to get this twisted story rolling here is part one:
    I have two L112s that I’ve been sprucing up. First thing I noticed when I took them apart was that they didn’t have the same xovers in them. Since then I bought two used ones which are in great shape and the L-pads are smooth and quiet. I will replace the old ones with them. During my research to buy the new ones I saw three types of xovers for JBL L112s which don’t look exactly the same, one of which is totally different (one of my old ones that I’m replacing). I had one xover that was built on a black plastic backboard (hereinafter referred to as blacky) and had a nice pc board for all the components. The other cabinet had an xover built on a brown pressboard material (hereinafter referred to as brownie) and did not have a printed circuit board but just had components jumbled together on the board. I thought brownie was actually a patch/fix job done by someone before I got the cabinets which is why I originally wanted to replace it to be original. But, after pulling them out I saw that ole brownie was actually a factory board (it also came from a cabinet with a much higher serial number). So that covers 2 of the three. The third I’ve seen is just like the black one here but one of the chokes was much larger (the choke at the bottom of the board). So, here are some pics I took of my two old ones:
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information