Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crown K Series amp opinions?

Crown K Series amp opinions?

I know some of you have used, or are using Crown K Series amps on woofers, and I would like to hear your opinions of these amps.

Right now, I am testing JBL 2226H, TAD 1603, and B & C 15NDL76 woofers in my cabinets. All these woofers, whichever I decide to use, will need more power than my trusty old DC-300,s, and I would like to hear from anyone who has anything to say about Crown K1 or K2,s!

Thanks in advance!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I know some of you have used, or are using Crown K Series amps on woofers, and I would like to hear your opinions of these amps.

I to have always wanted to try a pair of these. I almost bought a pair of K1's last month in LA.

Nice to see you Scott

Ken

Nice to see you, too, Ken.

From what Im told, according to Crown, the K series has the same front end as the older but discontinued Macro Reference series. The Ref,s were good sounding amps, particularly for low frequency. K,s are considered " good enough " for studio use, and I see them when Im out and about.

I have tried some other amps, and Im finding out I really am partial to the way Crown sounds on bass. Got that Crown punch and growl.
    scottyj

Hi Scottyj

I have been using the Crown K1 and K2 amplifier for some time now. And personally, I think the sound quality to be excellent.
    For several years, I ran my old 030 system with a K1 and found it to work very well. Admittedly, I could not run the K1 at anywhere near its full power level with the old 030s.

Currently, I am using a K2 to power JBL 2226H drivers and a K1 to power JBL 2012H drivers in a quad amplified system. Since, the K series amps do not have a cooling fan and they have a very low noise threshold. The resulting dynamic range is from dead silence to an ear splitting 120+db.
    And surprisingly, the K2 has slightly better transient response then the K1. I am guessing that the higher rail voltage of the K2 does a better job of goosing the voice coils into giving a slightly puncher sound then the K1 does.

The only bad thing that I can say, about the K Series, is that they do not work well for driving high efficiency compression drivers. I once ran a JBL 2446H/2382a HF horn combination with a K1 and found that the power supply was shutting down between songs. The cause of this shut down is that there is an energy saving circuit built into the K series amplifiers that will put the power supply in sleep mode, when there is no input signal for about 50 seconds. Since, the 2446 drivers were drawing only a fraction of a milli-watt at low volume levels, the amplifier was going to sleep. This sleeping amp problem does not occur with lower efficiency drivers like the JBL 2226H. So, it’s not an issue for driving woofers. For driving high efficiency compression drivers, the crown D series is a better choice over the K series, because of this “sleep mode” issue.

Baron030

I have been told Crown fixed the sleep mode problem.

I do use D series Crowns, on my compression drivers i use a D-150A, and that isnt going anywhere anythime soon.

The thing at this moment for me, is Im going to different woofers, I have replaced my Altec woofers. They worked really well with Crown DC-300A,s but, 125/150 watts per woofer just isnt enough for either the JBL 2226H or the TAD-1603. The B & C,s Im trying also want more power.

Nothing snaps and growls like a Crown.

Baron, the bass the Crown K makes? Its nice tight bottom end?
    scottyj

I have 4 K2 and i really like them. I have 3 in my HT to feed 8 2226h and the last is for future.
    I have also tried them to 2446h, and they were never fall to sleep .

mats

Baron, the bass the Crown K makes? Its nice tight bottom end?

If the bass were any tighter it would be anal-retentive.
    The JBL 2226H & Crown K2 combination packs quite a punch.
    Muhammad Ali's catch phrase "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee." very quickly comes to mind.

Baron030

Thanks, sounds very encouraging. Im making arrangements to audition K amps.
    scottyj

I'ver had a K1 for about four years now - powers a variety of large cones with consumate ease and reliability. Never gets too hot. Always stays in control.

It has that visceral weight to it, and control that very few amps can match and I've compared it with Krell, Bryston and others. For the money, and for bass duties, it's fabulous. For midrange and treble it's OK - nothing special though in a hifi setup.

Bass. They would be powering LF woofers, two 15,s per channel. 750hz and down.

Chest thumping, but clean well defined, tight and punchy low end is what I want.
    scottyj

Hello
    The K2's are excellent amps for low end, extremely tight and controlled. However listening to them powering some custom passive full range cabinets the high end ( a one inch B&C compression driver) seemed different in more of a processed kinda of way. I know that's a vague description! The signal path was CD player, amp, speakers. The stand by option on the older models had an adjustable threshold control. The newer models do not have any control for it unless it is internal. The output section it was the new I tech series is based on and what the CE4000 used. Low power draw, low heat, sealed chassis, good amp for installed use. I have some that are in a 9 year old install at a school without a single problem.

Mike Caldwell

Yeah, I have heard about that. The K amps are supposed to make real good bass, but sound sort of metallic and artificial on HF.

They say the same thing about I Techs, great bottom end sound, harsh and metallic sounding further up.

LF is what Im after though, and hey, even the old Crown DC-300,s were good for bass, but mids and highs, kind of grainy sounding. Powering TAD or JBL 15,s is what they will be doing.

I Techs are too much power for me, and I dont need all that additional DSP. Also, the sound of the I Techs, and those I have really heard, I dont know, cant say for sure I really dig them. Im told, by Crown, that the K has the front end of the Macro Ref,s and has alot to do with why they will sound good enough for me on my woofers.

As many amps, other brands, that I have tried, I just find myself looking for that Crown kick and definition.
    scottyj

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post

The thing at this moment for me, is Im going to different woofers, I have replaced my Altec woofers. They worked really well with Crown DC-300A,s but, 125/150 watts per woofer just isnt enough for either the JBL 2226H or the TAD-1603. The B & C,s Im trying also want more power.

have you ruled out the TAD 1601a?

125/150 wpc is right up their alley, no?

Yes, Im not using the 1601A. I have the 1603,s and they are good sounding, and can take up to 500 watts, same efficiency as the 1601A.

The 1601A has the alnico magnet, and that makes it considerably more expensive, BUT, if I really just HAD to HAVE alnico, I would go for the 1601B. Higher power handling than the 01A.

I had some 1601A,s and still have one, the 1603,s sounds good, though. Nice weight on the low end, and they purr. Very non fatiguing sound. Very clean sounding.

Im also trying JBL 2226H,s. Harder punch, not as weighty on the deeper low end. Also good.

I am trying some B & C neo midbass woofers, too. These give more of a traditional basshorn sound, but lack the low end kick of either the JBL or TAD! High sensitivity though, but, when you put some real power into them, they can get LOUD sounding.
    scottyj

So, I went a few weeks ago to listen to Crown K amps, I thought they do make good bass. And that is what I was going to use them for, so I was ready to purchase three brand new amplifiers!

I went to buy, and guess what? Good 'ol Crown discontinued the K Sereis of amps! Yep, K1,s and K2,s are NO MORE!

You cant win anymore, I gotta find an amp that kicks but I dont want any I Techs.

scottyj

Thread Information