Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Infinity 2000A Hybrid Electrostatics

Quote Originally Posted by Odd View Post
    Always wanted the L212.

Well maybe I have too much already.
    Ditto and ditto!

Great to see though!

Widget

I've wanted a L212 with dual subwoofers, L220 and then 250ti. Very cool looking speaks, those be.

As to what Heather said about streamers,

Oh, I see. That would be cool too, especially when it comes to trying to find "new" music. Also suggests that they're not exactly playing .flac or .wav files either, yet still sounds good. I get sneered at for using my iPod, but it's starting to sound like it is at least on par. When I play through the docking station it sounds damn good. I know I'm still (unfortunately) using it's built in DAC, but it's all I can find at the moment. The stuff I consider audiophilic all still sounds better than any record I've played or even in the rare instances where I can compare record against digital for a given track or album. Which is all to say I wonder how much of an improvement I'll see should I actually find a device that does what I want it to do..

Another thing I'd like but don't think it exists, a TV which can display two inputs at once. Why isn't this a thing yet? Angela and I play video games in our down time, but most of them don't have a "couch crawl" mode where like in the old days the two of you (or more) play on the same console and TV. Many games are multiplayer, but they require each person to have their own TV and console. So Angela and I have this atrocious set up downstairs where the main TV is set up like you'd expect it to be, but then there's her smaller TV we set up off to the side along with her Xbox so we can play together while sitting side by side. Would be cool if I could just feed the signal from both of our Xboxes to one large TV and split the screen in half for each respective Xbox, as well as pipe the combined audio signal to the receiver. Why the hell isn't this already a thing???

I actually have 2 pairs of L212s (one pair walnut, one pair teak) - the eventual plan is to unbolt them from the feet, and stack them sideways on the feet - a wall of sound.
    But after a 100 ft tree came crashing down during a microburst June 27th. On the way down it knocked down another tree, and bumped a 3rd that was overhanging the neighbors yard
    and we paid to have it cut down too! The tree guys came and cut up the downed 100 year old tree, but we're still waiting for the tree guys to come back and grind down the rootball!
    Emma (by the rootball) is sad about losing 3 trees in all of this.
    And I've been caught up with yard work, replanting gardens (ripping out ivy and other invasive weeds so I could plant azaleas and hydrangeas), sorting out our ancient brick pathways and patio,
    tossing lots of cedar mulch around, repairing a crushed stretch of chain link fence, and other projects in this heat wave. Too darned humid and hot!
    So I got no energy to do anything afterwards but head to the showers, flop in a chair, and listen as is ...
    Maybe I'll double-stack them later in the month!

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    I've wanted a L212 with dual subwoofers, L220 and then 250ti. Very cool looking speaks, those be.

Oh, I see. That would be cool too, especially when it comes to trying to find "new" music. Also suggests that they're not exactly playing .flac or .wav files either, yet still sounds good. I get sneered at for using my iPod, but it's starting to sound like it is at least on par. When I play through the docking station it sounds damn good. I know I'm still (unfortunately) using it's built in DAC, but it's all I can find at the moment. The stuff I consider audiophilic all still sounds better than any record I've played or even in the rare instances where I can compare record against digital for a given track or album. Which is all to say I wonder how much of an improvement I'll see should I actually find a device that does what I want it to do..

Another thing I'd like but don't think it exists, a TV which can display two inputs at once. Why isn't this a thing yet? Angela and I play video games in our down time, but most of them don't have a "couch crawl" mode where like in the old days the two of you (or more) play on the same console and TV. Many games are multiplayer, but they require each person to have their own TV and console. So Angela and I have this atrocious set up downstairs where the main TV is set up like you'd expect it to be, but then there's her smaller TV we set up off to the side along with her Xbox so we can play together while sitting side by side. Would be cool if I could just feed the signal from both of our Xboxes to one large TV and split the screen in half for each respective Xbox, as well as pipe the combined audio signal to the receiver. Why the hell isn't this already a thing???
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

The WiimPro is on sale during Amazon Prime Days - from $149 to $119 - today! Move fast!
    (You can always use the internal DAC and add an external DAC later, if desired).
    There is an App for it for Apple or Android users!

2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Dat's a big tree, and, "Ah lotta damage!" as Phil Swift would say. I like trees, but I systematically went and removed every one of them on my property. Most of them were on my sewer line and so I didn't want to redo that, another really big silver maple was pushing into the garage and destroying pavers, while the Japanese maple tree was too close to the house for my liking and it's roots had become quite invasive. Was sad about losing the Japanese maple, if only it was planted in the back yard.

I missed the sale! I will probably buy one of those. This way dad can just stream stuff to the stereo instead of having to hook it up and I can finally use my DAC. If I make my computer visible to the network, the Wiim Pro be able to access and play stuff from iTunes???

Cool

.....If I make my computer visible to the network, the Wiim Pro be able to access and play stuff from iTunes???
    A quick search online looks like the Wilm Pro can stream music stored in iTunes, theoretically.

https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/sol...h-this-device-

The important question here is what format the music is stored in on iTunes? If it's AAC there's really no reason to stream that to your stereo (imo). Keep it for the iPod and portable listening.

The Wilm Pro will allow you to stream from an internet service like Qobuz. CD quality sound that's streamed in FLAC for about $12.00 a month. Best value I can remember getting in this hobby. Use the coaxial s/pdif output from the Wilm to your Cambridge dac. You won't listen to AAC files again on the stereo.

I've found that older recordings (originally recorded on analogue tape) tend to sound better in 16/44 than the versions often available on the services in Hi-Rez. Frequently the Hi-Res version gets compressed as part of the Loudness Wars and/or remastered not for the better. YMMV of course.

Hrmm.. "Air Play 2." I'll have to look into that.

The good stuff I've got is either .flac or .wav files, 16 bit, 44.1 or 48khz. I've got a playlist, "For the UREI's" which is all .wav or hi res. But, much of my library was gifted to me from others and is unfortunately .mp3, which is garbage to my eyes, but even most of those files still sound better than the vinyl I've got. However, I'm still on a personal crusade to update my library to .wav as I can. An iPod only has so much capacity though..

I'll have to look into Qobuz, but wouldn't that mean setting up more playlists or hoping their autogenerated playlists jive with what my brain desires?

I agree 100%. First time I heard the difference was when I got the supposed original masters of the first ten studio albums from ZZ Top. These are without question the best sounding albums I have played over my system. Can't get enough of it or speak enough praise about ole Frank Beard, Dusty Hill and of course, Billy Gibbons. Their first album and Tejas just kick so much ass for me. "Shakin' Your Tree." The percussion kit in that, hot damn... Anyway, as a result I've started to buy a few "original" masters and to my surprise, those have replaced the remasters I had thought were holy grail.

You're fine then if your iTunes library is stored in .WAV. Don't know how you can use the FLAC files though, I thought iTunes didn't support it. There is a good converter software (dbPoweramp) that can batch convert all your FLAC into .WAV.

Heather can probably advise about Airplay but I thought I read somewhere the sound quality may not be great? Don't hold me to that.

Qobuz would require making new playlists, but you can do that while listening to music. :-) I don't know anyone who has tried the 2 week free demo that hasn't bought into it.

The Apple lossless format is indistinguishable from FLAC for me and if you're already in the Apple ecosystem it makes life easier to stick with the iTunes / Apple Music app universe. AAC compressed files are noticeably better than the equivalent level of mp3 compression but still noticeably compressed compared to lossless.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    A quick search online looks like the Wilm Pro can stream music stored in iTunes, theoretically.

https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/sol...h-this-device-

The important question here is what format the music is stored in on iTunes? If it's AAC there's really no reason to stream that to your stereo (imo). Keep it for the iPod and portable listening.

The Wilm Pro will allow you to stream from an internet service like Qobuz. CD quality sound that's streamed in FLAC for about $12.00 a month. Best value I can remember getting in this hobby. Use the coaxial s/pdif output from the Wilm to your Cambridge dac. You won't listen to AAC files again on the stereo.

I've found that older recordings (originally recorded on analogue tape) tend to sound better in 16/44 than the versions often available on the services in Hi-Rez. Frequently the Hi-Res version gets compressed as part of the Loudness Wars and/or remastered not for the better. YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Riley Casey View Post
    The Apple lossless format is indistinguishable from FLAC for me and if you're already in the Apple ecosystem it makes life easier to stick with the iTunes / Apple Music app universe. AAC compressed files are noticeably better than the equivalent level of mp3 compression but still noticeably compressed compared to lossless.
    Thanks Riley! Agreed, most of my 2TB iTunes library is AAC (Apple Lossless format), tho I do have some pop stuff Emma wanted thats 320kb MP3s or similar from other sources (Amazon music, Apple store, etc).
    All of that streams through the house via Airplay 2 to the Wiim Pro (or loads onto our iPhones for trips, etc), when I'm not playing web radio like radio Paradise (nice curated playlists/tunes), or higher res tracks from Qobuz.
    Tried Qobuz for a month and that saved me from buying a couple CDs that i would have bought and discovered they weren't all that after all! At the annual rate its cheaper than a CD a month, so its well worth it!
    Have done the annual subscription as a Christmas present to us twice now! And I still buy CDs of things I like to support the artist ...!

I'm a fan of a lot of the shows on WOWD in Takoma Park but it's pretty low bit rate stream. Bob Boilen who does the Tiny Desk shows on NPR has a show with a good selection of music I've never heard before on Wednesday mornings.

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Thanks Riley! Agreed, most of my 2TB iTunes library is AAC (Apple Lossless format), tho I do have some pop stuff Emma wanted thats 320kb MP3s or similar from other sources (Amazon music, Apple store, etc).
    All of that streams through the house via Airplay 2 to the Wiim Pro (or loads onto our iPhones for trips, etc), when I'm not playing web radio like radio Paradise (nice curated playlists/tunes), or higher res tracks from Qobuz.
    Tried Qobuz for a month and that saved me from buying a couple CDs that i would have bought and discovered they weren't all that after all! At the annual rate its cheaper than a CD a month, so its well worth it!
    Have done the annual subscription as a Christmas present to us twice now! And I still buy CDs of things I like to support the artist ...!

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Sadly, that website is no more (its for sale now).
    And I just wound up with a battered pair of Infinity 2000As
    and ... now those infinity 2000As are sold/gone - so, happy wife,
    and more room in the house for the JBLs! (In truth, she's never complained).
    I'd considered striping them for the electrostatic drivers, which sound great,
    but like Seawolf, I hated the idea of gutting intact working systems (RIP my friend),
    and I found a buyer who appreciated them intact. (And a fan of ESS systems as well!)
    They never sounded quite as nice vertical as they did Horizontal on the (unpowered) Heaths.
    Book shelf speakers indeed!

Still enjoying the stacked L212s - they sound fantastic with the Acurus 200A amp I got recently got.
    A move upward from the Carver TFM-25 (tho its no slouch either).
    And since we're headed towards cooler weather, nearly time to look at speaker projects again ...

I've still got the parts for the "JBL Dynamics Project": 2216ND woofs, Walnut Smith horns with 2445J drivers,
    and probably the Great Heil drivers on top ... sans a cabinet so far ...
    I'll look into that again further after the Richmond Celtic festival in November.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information