Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Really Good Lead Guitar

Jonatahn Edwards

Rather, Jonathan Edwards.

Mostly known to East Coasters and Bluegrass fans, the guy always makes me smile.

Having one big hit, "Sunshine", he should have been mentioned sooner, Id think, but hey.

His album with The Seldom Scene, "Blue Ridge" is just beautiful.

http://www.jonathanedwards.net/_pages/music.php

All worthy contenders... Esp Zappa and Satriani!!

I know they're an "acquired" taste, much like Zappa , but Rush's early work has some outstanding guitar work.

If it hasn't been posted.....

Here's Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen 3G live in Denver doing Hendrix's 'Little Wing'. <<<<<<<WOW>>>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vlAPYdv5e8

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post
    Here's Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen 3G live in Denver doing Hendrix's 'Little Wing'. <<<<<<<WOW>>>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vlAPYdv5e8
    Scored the whole DVD at best buy a few years ago for $9.99

Love it

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Has anybody mentioned Carlos Santana ?
    Yes, Heather mentioned him early in the thread. I do like him and have been replaying the sides I have (Abraxas; Love, Devotion, Surrender). At the suggestion of Heather (and others) I picked up a CD of Caravanserai and have been through that a couple of times. Good stuff. I also enjoyed his performance at Crossroads.

David

pelly3s
    Alright first off I just skimmed this to catch up but I would have to say I didnt see a single person meantion Mr. Scary himself, George Lynch. He is one of the top in my book. I did see a Trower meantion in here somewhere too the album Bridge of Sighs was one of the greatest.

Then there is always Jeff Beck and the Who Else album which has some very great tracks. Space for Papa has some of the best guitar tone I have ever heard.

Another I have to put up high on my list would be Shannon Curfman she is just a great player for being so young.

Finally if anyone is looking for a great album check out Maximum Security by Tony MacAlpine. He is always forgetting about when talking of greats.

Oh you for the hell of it anything Buckethead does is worth a meantion. And for just pure speed
    Michael "Angelo" Batio wins it all

[quote=jblnut;153969]Amen ! Other standouts include the 4 LP "Live at Carnegie Hall" set and "Chicago V", both of which see regular playing on my turntable.

I am happy to see two people mention the late Terry Kath. My favorite Chicago tune is "Introduction" from their first album "Chicago Transit Authority". They had to shorten their name to "Chicago" under threat from the Chicago Transit Authority. Although I don't play guitar....I would listen to that song over and over again just to study the guitar solo.

His guitar work on "I Don't Want Your Money" from #3 is another favorite of mine. You get an idea of Terry's enthusiam because the cut starts with Terry getting charged up for the take. You can hear off mic chatter at the end of the take again hearing Terry's enthusiam as well as someone asking "Is he f++ked up?"

Had Terry not died of an accidental self-inflicted gunshot...I believe Chicago would not have gone into ballad land and he would have made it onto more people's "lists" of all time great guitar players.

Quote Originally Posted by JBLRaiser View Post

Nice, but I prefer Stevie Ray's version on The Sky is Crying...

Yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    I do too.

Quote Originally Posted by sdaniel View Post
    Rather, Jonathan Edwards.
    Mostly known to East Coasters and Bluegrass fans, the guy always makes me smile.
    Having one big hit, "Sunshine", he should have been mentioned sooner, Id think, but hey.
    His album with The Seldom Scene, "Blue Ridge" is just beautiful.
    http://www.jonathanedwards.net/_pages/music.php
    Might not get much recognition here among the other great pickers but I've been a fan since 1971, still have a huge button with the "Sailboat" logo from a concert from that period, repurchased much of his work on CD directly from his site (always support a good cause), and saw him in an intimate concert in Charlottesville, VA a year or so ago. He hasn't missed a step in over thirty years, which is more than can be said for lots of older performers. Seeing him live really showcased his talent on the guitar. What I'll always thank him for is introducing my family to his opening act and accompanist, Kenny White, who's an incredible talent as a songwriter, singer, producer, and keyboard player.

Just thought I'd let sdaniel know someone appreciates his contribution to the thread!

OK, what a huge topic and what great coverage. Still, I can think of a couple.

One of the greatest living acoustic players to hear is Ralph Towner. He's an American who now lives in Italy. His latest is (I think) Timeline, ECM 1968. His ECM offerings go way back. His pickup group called Solstice put out two great albums in the early seventies, still in print on cd. And yes, he is the guy in Oregon. No one else sounds anything like him. He is also part of some other killer jazz colaborations with Europeans.

I have been to two live acoustic gigs of John Renbourn's. In one he performed with Stefan Grossman. Both are beyond talented and Renbourn is inspired.

I vigorously second Leo Kottke and Willie Nelson as living gods of acoustic Mt. Olympus. Nelson kinda hurries through his gigs now, but when he took his time he was unique, understated and wonderful. Leo Kottke - a gift from above, please enjoy and support him.

I also second the sainthood of Carlos Santana. Jeff Beck is only the best living electric guitarist still playing in top form. Other than that he's no big deal.

Guys not mentioned could include Kim Simmons (Savoy Brown); and Neil Young, who has shown that simple playing with real feeling can produce quite a few of the best solos ever recorded.

But - what compelled me to post here were two huge omissions.

The early work of Peter Green. He was the best guitarist I ever heard in person, and that includes Jeff Beck and some of the legends of jazz, too. For you younger folks, the original name of the band was Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. Later Mac, don't forget to check Danny Kirwan on Morning Rain (album is Future Games). No surprise, Danny came from a group called Boilerhouse.

The other guy is the "died way too young" guitarist I miss the most, more than Jimi and SRV even. He was an enormous influence on a lot of later musicians, whether they know it or not. Like Green, he was just as good with chords as with single string playing. James Honeyman Scott can only be heard on the first two Pretenders albums and their EP, Extended Play. Pretenders II is my desert island pick. Enough said.

Clark in Peoria
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I'm a big Ralph Towner fan ... his work goes back even further - to the Paul Winter Consort. Look for their 1969 album "Road" for the earliest version of his classic instrumental "Icarus".
    That version of the Winter Consort consists of cellist David Darling (a future ECM star) and four musicians who would leave and form Oregon: guitarist Ralph Towner, Paul McCandless (heard here on oboe and English horn), bassist Glen Moore, and Colin Walcott on tabla and percussion.

Newest stuff of his I have is from '98 - but its still fine playing

Peter Green is a sad story - I have heard some of his newer work but none of it has the spark of that early Fleetwood Mac Blues Band - I think years of personal demons took their toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    OK, what a huge topic and what great coverage. Still, I can think of a couple.

One of the greatest living acoustic players to hear is Ralph Towner. He's an American who now lives in Italy. His latest is (I think) Timeline, ECM 1968. His ECM offerings go way back. His pickup group called Solstice put out two great albums in the early seventies, still in print on cd. And yes, he is the guy in Oregon. No one else sounds anything like him. He is also part of some other killer jazz colaborations with Europeans.

Clark in Peoria
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by brutal View Post
    DITTO

Larry

Speed Kills

Oh you for the hell of it anything Buckethead does is worth a mention. And for just pure speed Michael "Angelo" Batio wins it all

With the possible exception of Alvin Lee (Ten Years After). It's always been amazing to me that Mr. Lightning Fingers Lee could play so swiftly yet produce notes that are round and full, with a beginning, middle, and end, without a hint of slurring.

an English point of veiw !

I could end up on a few ignore lists for this , but here goes. How about Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page.That Jimi Hendrix fella..... Phil Manzinara, The Edge from U2, bloody silly name , granted, but a frett master nonetheless. A shame U2 spent money on Steve Lillywhite production I would love Trevor Horn to produce them.Vinni Riley from Durriti Column. Micheal Hedges, PAT METHENY. now this man , although Jazz, is up there with that silly bugger that overdosed before his prime.Carlos Santana. William Orbit, the first Strange Cargo "Jump Jet" its worth 2.08 off anyone's time.

Thats my 2 pence worth! I'm gonna check some the names from the previous threads and see what delights you have introduced me to !

thanks,Rich

Thread Information