Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Really Good Lead Guitar

i did 17 hours each way to see kronos quartet in london on a standing room bus with a ferry ride across the irish sea in london from county kerry.the quartets of alfred schnidke were well worth it.

Edgar Winter

Edgar Winter!!!!!!!!!!!!! About the only guy who can show Clapton and SRV how's it's done! Don

um. al shiner from moe. is the wickedest guitarist on the planet.

There are great guitar players but there is only one Wes Montgomery.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPJMfC2cdEI

If he interests you and you've never bought one of his CDs,
    check out Boss Guitar, I love the version he did of Besame Mucho
    and Dearly Beloved. The work he did with his brothers
    is pretty special. One album called "The Grooveyard" features
    Wes and his brothers. There is an insane song on there called "Delirious".
    His work with Jimmy Smith on "The Dynamic Duo" is unmatched to this day.
    One other cut is the version of "Twisted Blues" he did on the "Goin' Out of My Head" album.

I heard Chet Atkins mentioned along with Mark Knopler.
    I second the notion. The album they did together, "Neck and Neck"
    is one of the most easy and beautiful sounding and wonderfully recorded
    albums ever.

Special note on Knopler. It's just my opinion, but he became even better
    after his time with Chet...they were pretty good friends.
    Anyway, for Knopler at his best, check out "The Ragpicker's Dream".
    This Xmas eve...play the title track...it'll make you cry.
    The recording of this CD is especially good, one of the best I've ever heard.

Earl Klugh: If you don't have this CD, get it NOW!!!!
    http://www.amazon.com/Earl-Klugh-Tri.../dp/B000002LRI
    3 piece, stand up bass, guitar and drums. For some reason this is the
    only album by Klugh that I completely adore...every song...every riff.

I heard Joe Satriani mentioned who I love too. If you don't like shredders
    and pyrotechnics but you want to here one of the coolest guitar songs
    ever, check out Joe playing "You're My World"

Jeff Beck playing Diamond Dust off of Blow by Blow still creeps me out to this day. Absolutely fascinating song and artist.

I saw Larry Carlton in Franklin Tennessee 6-7 years ago in a free, live
    outdoor concert in the town square on a beautiful September night.
    I don't have any words...it was beyond words...

Chuck Berry...as technically lacking as he is...he makes music and
    sounds magical when he's on. One of the best.

If you wanna hear someone new who is a freak, check out Guthrie Govan:
    move over Larry carlton....just kidding...but dam!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s

I failed to mention a lot of other great guitar players...

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post

George Puleo as he looked and sounded almost 20 years ago. Was it worth a 6 hour car ride each way to see them ? You decide....

jblnut
    Depends. What was the cover charge?

Just kidding, they sound good. Nice piece of preservation work.

Thumbs up

robin trower,ain't bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    If you wanna hear someone new who is a freak, check out Guthrie Govan:
    move over Larry carlton....just kidding...but dam!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s

I failed to mention a lot of other great guitar players...
    NICE! Thanks for that, he's worth looking up. Any advice on discs he's released?

je

Some good live guitar

Hi All,
    My 2 cents on a few:

Rory Gallagher's "Million Miles Away" and "I waonder who" from Irish tour '74

Michael Schenker with UFO in "Rock Bottom" from Strangers in the Night

Peter Frampton live

And of course me being a proud father, my son Garrett in "Hand scribbled blues song"

I love guitar, or any instrument that is played live with raw gut wrenching passion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Sanford View Post
    NICE! Thanks for that, he's worth looking up. Any advice on discs he's released?

je
    He's just about to hit major fame any minute now.
    He has a CD called "Erotic Cakes" with an independent label.
    I have not heard it:
    http://www.cornfordrecords.com/shop.php?html

Here's a link to a forum dedicated to him already and
    there are comments on this release:
    http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/

I understand there's a possibility he may end up on Satch's G3 tour.
    He's the real thing...

There are so many great guitarists that this is a very difficult task. as somone mentioned the guitar work on Lou Reed's rock & roll animal is excellent. Please do not forget Mark Knopfler alone or with Dire Straits (his album with Chet Atkins is very good and Funny).
    David Gilmore of pink floyd, his two solo albums, David Gilmore and About Face, both have great guitar work and are highly underrated.
    The Steely Dan albums are chock full or fantastic examples including the great guitarist Larry Carlton.

Doc Watson for you bluegrass fans.
    For those interested in jazz you cannot leave out Wes Montgomery w/the winton kelly trio "smokin' at the half note" must be listened to.
    Kenny Burrell's montono blues is just incredible in its simplicity but it grooves like you wouldnt believe, thats on Bluesy Burrell.
    Joe Pass/John Pisano's album Duets is just gorgeous, very mellow.
    Lee Rittenour's Stolen Moments is another underrate gem
    Those of you a little more adveturous there is an english chap named Ronny Jordan that really pushes the boundaries with his virtuous jazz guitar playing ala Wes but more modernised, be warned though, he blends elements of rap but it is not a rap album. it is something entirely different and difficult to explain, lots of instrumentals. His first five cds are interesting.

This list can go on and on but I will leave it at that. for now!

Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival

Finally got a chance today to go through the DVD of Crossroads Guitar Festival. All I can say is, THANK YOU, to everyone who has suggested it. I'm sure those of you who are familiar don't need to be reminded about the cast leaders. If you don't have it, it's highly recommended. In a way it was exactly the overview I was looking for, with some nice surprises.

One was Buddy Guy, who is the first guitarist of any generation I've ever seen make Clapton feel surrounded.

And it's always really sweet and sad when the old blues players are given a spot.

Another was V.M. Bhatt playing his self-designed cross of a vina and a lap guitar. I've enjoyed hearing him on a couple of CD's and was fortunate enough to hear him in person playing at a music festival in India a couple of months ago. There is a history of Indian musicians being given spots at rock festivals, Ravi Shankar specifically, who generally played a pretty straight offering of traditional Indian music or did a thing with jazz style playing. Bhatt really got out there with his instrument and his playing--coming at the east-west synthesis from the other side toward where Sandy Bull and his heirs were reaching.

Then there's extra-terrestrial Steve Vai. He's basically the polar opposite of everything I appreciate about music, but I actually watched the cut twice just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I especially could have done without the circlejerk bit, but generally it was all harmless enough. A touch of comic relief, I guess.

But the real kernel:
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    . . . . John Mayer is a tremendously talented young player who has mysteriously escaped the talent filter of the current pop music scene and risen to the top. I could do without all the screaming teenage girls in his live stuff, but man, that kid can play with soul, in his own voice. . . .
    Yep. Quite remarkable. I've only seen or met one other person along that vein. I knew him well when he was in his twenties, and he was a lot like John Mayer. I won't go into it, but he's now known around the world by a select audience for what he does. John Mayer has got his planets lined up, singing harmony.

The one near-disappointment was one of my favorite musicians in the day--John McLaughlin. He came out alone, with just two drummers, one on tabla, and the other with a rock kit. He's gotten so cerebral I was afraid he'd never connect; actually, he didn't, really, except that you'd have to say the audience reached out to him. He needs more musicians to bounce ideas with. Luckily he realized it was going nowhere and gave to the drummers (wish I knew their names), who worked really hard to make something happen, and after considerable exertion did, sorta. The guy is spending too much time sitting in his Paris apartment playing alone. He needs to go to a few monster truck rallies, drink some beers, eat a few hotdogs. Hey, John, hang in there.

A really fine straight-ahead performance by J.J. Cale.

I also have to mention another new one for me, Larry Carlton, does a good thing, smooth, cool and strong.

Overall a tremendous feast, a good audience, and a great cause, and some amazing guitarists.

Thanks,

David

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Finally got a chance today to go through the DVD of Crossroads Guitar Festival. All I can say is, THANK YOU, to everyone who has suggested it. I'm sure those of you who are familiar don't need to be reminded about the cast leaders. If you don't have it, it's highly recommended. In a way it was exactly the overview I was looking for, with some nice surprises.

But the real kernel:

Yep. Quite remarkable. I've only seen or met one other person along that vein. I knew him well when he was in his twenties, and he was a lot like John Mayer. I won't go into it, but he's now known around the world by a select audience for what he does. John Mayer has got his planets lined up, singing harmony.
    Glad you found the suggestion among the inundation of names that followed my post:
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwcca View Post
    You've hit some good ones! How 'bout Derek Trucks (just ask Clapton), John Mayer (if you've not seen him on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD, don't pre-judge him, and oh yeah, ask Clapton...), and I'll toss Mato Nangi in there for good measure (Indigenous). Not saying this is his best, but it is a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3sQptZcKr8

Also:Mayer at Crossroads here.

And probably anything from Al Di Meola, depending on your taste.
    And of course Larry Carlton is nearly as important a figure in early Steely Dan as was Walter Becker. I've been a fan for decades.

Yeah, Mayer is underrated, for sure, but his latest CD (Continuum) is so full of over-effected drum distortions as to make it nearly un-listenable on a good system. Seems they worked it to sound like an over-driven car sub right out of the box. Good work on the songs and the limited lead-guitar play but I can only take so much of it outside the car environment. I'm glad you found him on "Crossroads" and that you, Steve, and I (at least) agree on his talent. I'll keep trying to find him playing lead as much as he did at Crossroads. I don't recommend his "Trio" album at all. Maybe I'll try it again after the long rest I've given it.

So, what did you think of Johnny Lang's contribution?

Has anybody mentioned Carlos Santana ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Has anybody mentioned Carlos Santana ?
    No - but fawgawd's sake - don't forget Carlos Santana!

he he he
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post

Yeah, Mayer is underrated, for sure, but his latest CD (Continuum) is so full of over-effected drum distortions as to make it nearly un-listenable on a good system. Seems they worked it to sound like an over-driven car sub right out of the box. Good work on the songs and the limited lead-guitar play but I can only take so much of it outside the car environment. I'm glad you found him on "Crossroads" and that you, Steve, and I (at least) agree on his talent. I'll keep trying to find him playing lead as much as he did at Crossroads. I don't recommend his "Trio" album at all. Maybe I'll try it again after the long rest I've given it.
    His "Try" live album with the trio is also a veritable what not do to of recording and mixing. I suppose it's adequate for teenage girls using ipods, but the better the stereo you listen to it on, the worse it sounds. The guy needs to hang out with some better engineers, and quick !

I need to send him a copy of Robben Ford's "Authorized Bootleg" so he can hear what a good low-budget soundboard mix of a live blues trio is supposed to sound like .

jblnut

Thread Information