Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Good Lead Guitar

I'll try to hit those not mentioned yet, but I do want to hear TiDome's Joe Walsh/Tommy Bolin/Prince reviews, they all would have been on my list.

Lifetime achievement awards:

Tony Iommi - not the best soloist, but he's worked long & hard at it and influenced millions. At least as good a lead player as Blackmore is a rhythm player, how's that?

Brian May - can do it all and has. Tasty, appropriate for the song, innovative, influential, consistent. Among the all-time best, to me.

Brian Setzer - DON'T dismiss him as just a rockabilly player, he can stand up with Gilmour and hold his own, I kid you not. They certainly won't sound anywhere near the same, but Setzer won't go home embarrassed. He's that good.

Angus Young - perseverence? Consistent, fun, assertive.

Jerry Cantrell - I think this guy's got it all, too, but hasn't gotten his due. Some great songwriting over the years, and the "Boggy Depot" solo album's really good.

Charlie Christian - stunned me when I listened through his box set. To this day, smokes most of the players out there, and on the equipment of his time. Worth buying the box set.

Les Paul - same thing: buy the big box set. Go see him before he dies. See him twice in case he has an off night. Go.

Danny Gatton - discussed in other threads lately, stunningly good but never got his due.

John Scofield - sometimes off in space or repetitive, but imaginative and original and inspirational.

Neil Geraldo - solid. Tasty. Great technique.

Worth looking up:

Stevie Salas - from ColorCode to Was (Not Was) to Sass Jordan to his solo stuff, a real chameleon that plays with feeling and finesse.

The Jayhawks - some beautiful soloing (particularly as guests on Maria McKee's "You Gotta Sin to Get Saved" album) that's had me going back to them a lot lately.

Robben Ford - inconsistent songwriting & production, but when he rips he really can play. A favorite is "The Brother", I believe a tribute to SRV.

Sonny Landreth - like Ford, has ups & downs with the context he's playing in, but he can make your head spin in a "how'd he do that" way. Finger picking/slide/zydeco stuff that's just brilliant.

Jeff Golub - known for his easy, jazzy stuff, he's a monster player with great touch & tone.

Nuno Bettencourt - impressive, I'm going to make an effort to dig for more of his later stuff.

Brother Cane - "Seeds" - honorary mention, this album has some great solos on it and thick, meaty guitar tones & textures.

Elliot Easton - exceptional utility player, didn't really get to stretch out in The Cars but really impressive when he did.

Dan Baird - "Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired" - another honorary mention, for the same reasons. If you like electric guitar tones, listen to this one. Great Brendan O'Brian production, fun songs, excellent playing.

Screaming Cheetah Wheelies - "SCW" and "Magnolia" honorary mention #3 (and 4, I guess). Dual-lead sorta Southern Rock bluesy wailin' albums.

The Hellecasters - three ungodly talented players just plain show off and make you want to quit playing.

Gary Moore - certainly has his moments and some killer tones.

Slash - has obviously had his moments but is really hit or miss lately.

Rich Williams - Kansas, underrated player over the years.

Michael Lee Firkins - if you like the metal/shred instrumental albums, look him up, you won't regret it. Tastier and more eclectic, but still plays the seemingly impossible.

Michael Ward - School Of Fish & later in The Wallflowers, great feedback control and tasty play-for-the-song sense.

Nils Lofgren - "Valentine" solo from Silver Lining always moves me, nice fingerpicking feel.

Randy Rhoads - others can probably elaborate more, an excellent composer & technical player, I never loved his tone but always remembered his solos note for note.

Mike Campbell - talk about playing for the song. What a perfect companion for any songwriter, he'll always make you look good without disrespecting the song. Texture for days, picks just the right tools for the job.

Warren DeMartini - gotta mention him if you're mentioning any of the big-hair bands, he had serious tone & chops.

je

Jerry Garcia

Oh - don't forget Bill Nelson - guitar hero for BeBop Deluxe - http://www.astralwerks.com/be_bop_deluxe/intro.html

see Bill's homepage at http://www.billnelson.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
    Jerry Garcia
    - Who?
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Rock and Roll Lead Guitar

When it comes to listing the masters of rock and roll lead guitar, I do wish people would at least mention Mick Ronson. And when it comes to just playing off the top of his head, Jeff Beck is great, at least in my opinion.

May I add:

Merle Travis
    Joe Maphis
    Doc Watson
    Clarence White
    Rick Ruskin
    Dick Rosmini (Also worked at JBL)
    Roger McGuinn
    Barney Kessel
    Albert King
    George Van Epps

I think Django inspired many people( like Les Paul, Wes Montgomery, and others) to take some of what Django was doing and making it into a style.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

Blues Guitar....

a friend of mine's older brother plays the old bayou-style blues real well IMO....

last album was up for a grammy (but didn't win)

Tab Benoit
    http://www.tabbenoit.com/brothertotheblues.html

catch him live if he runs through your town, his live shows are real real fun....

I like to keep track of how many strings he goes through

Metal Rock Lead

Metallica and DragonForce come to mind right away. There is an entire genre? of metal called "speed metal" that is real fast - double bass on the drums and real quick picking on the lead.
    Guy in WNY

Over time I have come to appreciate the stellar blues playing of Michael Bloomfield, a white Jewish kid from the northern suburbs of Chicago who haunted the blues clubs of the south side and learned from and played with many of the greats. He developed his own powerful, unmistakable style, and died much too young... a lot of that going around.

Terry Kath of Chicago was something else. I often dig out Chicago II to listen to his incredible playing throughout this double LP (Chicago's best IMO). Check him out on "25 or 6 to 4."

John Mayer is a tremendously talented young player who has mysteriously escaped the talent filter of the current pop music scene and risen to the top. I could do without all the screaming teenage girls in his live stuff, but man, that kid can play with soul, in his own voice.

Has anybody mentioned Robin Trower? Often accused of being derivative of Hendrix (who isn't), but I only hear that a little bit. Another player with a unique style; never a bad note from him.

Richard Thompson is a superb player. His poetry on the Stratocaster is other-worldly on Richard and Linda Thompson's "Shoot Out the Lights." Lots of terrific stuff from him more recently as well.

Hey guys and doll...

Thanks for reminding/enlightening on the player's list.

Jeff Beck is my all time fav....he is the living innovator of modern rock guitar.

He was doing Hendrix before Hendrix did it...and went on to expand his playing horizons...and is still alive and as good as ever...still doing it.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

This list is missing the greatest solo acoustic guitar players to ever live. I'll give you the initals.

A.S.

number two is

C.M.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    This list is missing the greatest solo acoustic guitar players to ever live. I'll give you the initals.

A.S.

number two is

C.M.
    A.S = Andres Segovia

C.M. = Carlos Montoya

What about Leona Boyd?

What about Paco De Lucia?

What about....yes, that's right...Charo? coochie coochie...

For an extremely compelling and fun live acoustic classical record, get "Friday Night in San Francisco" with Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia....amazing.

WHAT? NO ALAN HOLDSWORTH ????

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rinkerman View Post
    WHAT? NO ALAN HOLDSWORTH ????
    Don't forget Fish rising - Steve Hillage!!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    A.S = Andres Segovia

C.M. = Carlos Montoya

What about Paco De Lucia?
    gold star for edgewound.

PDL does great Maleguena as do some others, but was watching Segovia last week on arts channel. IMHO , he IS the master.

A little know title that's great is "The Millers Dance" from Maunuel De Falla. superb.
    And the absolute classic is Concierto de Aranjuez , from Rodrigo
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

I think SpeakerDave got more than he bargained for...got all genre's with his request.

That'll fill up the pallet

Thread Information