Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The original Westlake / Sierra / Eastlake monitor

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Those look like Gauss woofers.

Gauss were good, but, if you blow one, where are you going to find original parts? Youll be doing this >>>
    I say Gauss as well.

I would not be worried about blowing them up, If these are in your home?

Unless you are using Flame Linear's for power, then maybe

sa660

scott

What would be you feeling on the design/origin of these loudspeakers. The step for the horn looks like if it is damaging the tweeter dispersion!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ralphs99 View Post
    Hi Glen,
    The 'horn' on the 2420 compession driver is not really a horn at all but just a diffraction device. It's just a piece of ~1/4" metal with a 1" hole on one side to mate with the driver throat and a 3/4" hole on the other side. That's it! I've no idea of the actual dispersion characteristics.
    Cheers, Ralph
    Thanks for the info Ralph!
    What you describe with the 1/4" plate mounted directly to the driver looks practical in the case of the blue-face Westlake in Tuscon that John sent in. That has an inner set of bolts that the driver is mounted to and an outer set of bolts attaching the plate to the baffle. But it would seem that on the very early monitors, where the plate is barely larger than the mounting plates, the baffle must be inbetween the the plate and the driver???
    In the third picture I sent in the 2420 doesn't seem to have any support other than the baffle it's attached to??
    If you can clarify, or post a quick and dirty sketch I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks again for your explanation
    glen

"Make it sound like dinosaurs eating cars"
    - Nick Lowe, while producing Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    They look very similar to the mains we used at Century 21 Studios in Winnipeg (1976-1977)
    Ken
    Hi Ken,
    Were you guys bi-amping (or tri-amping) these back then?
    What kind of power amps/crossovers were you using?
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge,
    Glen
    glen

Quote Originally Posted by sa660 View Post
    What would be you feeling on the design/origin of these loudspeakers. The step for the horn looks like if it is damaging the tweeter dispersion!!!
    That I dont know. You would need an answer from Widget, Giskard, Ian, Zilch, or someone else that really understands the cabinet, and layout on baffle board and how the various drivers/horns interact with each other.

My guess is they put the tweeter where they did, because these speakers were to be soffit mounted, or hung overhead, and this way you got good on axis tweeter response in the listening position, but, this is just a guess.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    That I dont know. You would need an answer from Widget, Giskard, Ian, Zilch, or someone else that really understands the cabinet, and layout on baffle board and how the various drivers/horns interact with each other.

My guess is they put the tweeter where they did, because these speakers were to be soffit mounted, or hung overhead, and this way you got good on axis tweeter response in the listening position, but, this is just a guess.

Hey that was my guess

Quote Originally Posted by glen View Post
    Hi Ken,
    Were you guys bi-amping (or tri-amping) these back then?
    What kind of power amps/crossovers were you using?
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge,
    Glen
    They used a Westlake designed combination active 2 way and passive for the 3-way system. We used Luxman M series amps in both control rooms. As I recall they were M4000's and M2000's. Does that sound right? They were Luxman's for sure. They sounded great.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Pachkowsky View Post
    That's harsh, but speaks volumes.

Ken

I should add that before they had the 4435,s they were using the 4350,s and while the 4435's had a refined sound it was not the same as having the power of the 4350's. When they fired up the Westlakes it brought back the punch of the 4350's , and with those sweet mids spilling out of the large format driver coupled to the Westlake Walnut Horn!!! Well that's when the 4435,s became westlake stands. The 4435,s have since been sold, gone to europe.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I should add that before they had the 4435,s they were using the 4350,s and while the 4435's had a refined sound it was not the same as having the power of the 4350's. When they fired up the Westlakes it brought back the punch of the 4350's , and with those sweet mids spilling out of the large format driver coupled to the Westlake Walnut Horn!!! Well that's when the 4435,s became westlake stands. The 4435,s have since been sold, gone to europe.
    Just having some fun and spewing .

Be well

PS: When are we going to see your clones?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ralphs99 View Post
    The only Westlakes I've heard were all JBL; 2231A's, 2440's & 2420's back from around 1978. Loved the bottom end, but the Westlake horns always seemed to have very vague localisation and a poor sound stage.
    Cheers, Ralph
    Hi Ralph,
    Did the ones you heard have the horns on top or on bottom?
    John Storyk, designer of Electric Ladyland and Bearsville studios was talking about the installation of Westlakes at Bearsville in this article:
    http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_john_storyk_thirty/

What did you have to choose from in terms of monitors at the time?

Not much. The decision at Bearsville was not mine, but we used the state-of-the-art Westlakes with the big horns. But I was one of the first to mount them upside down, with the big horns on the top. People thought it was because it made it look like a little bear logo, but the reason was to get the high-frequency driver lower to get rid of reflections off the console. That was a very intentional move and helped get a better imaging focus. But Westlake was one of the three or four good off-the-shelf speakers we could choose from in those days.

Upside-down Westlake looking "bearish":
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    glen

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Hey that was my guess
    Umm, great minds think alike!

I just type faster.

scottyj

lfh

Bear hunting!

Look what I found (Electric Lady Studios). Thanks for this new search strategy Perhaps this is a very early (c:a 1970) specimen? Maybe the original design was a 2x15"+2" (and someone added 075:s later to the monitors shown in the first post of this thread)? (I'm still looking for the answer to these questions...and these )

ralphs99
    Hi Glen,
    I can see where you're coming from. I can't see a way of mounting the diffraction plate to the driver as per the interior photo either. I wish I could remember how this was done. It's just a bit too long ago! I'll have a look on the weekend and see if I have a sketch at home somewhere.

I've only heard the big Westlakes in 2 studios and in both cases they were mounted right way up.John Storyk's comments are interesting and may explain my perceptions of the poor imaging from the Westlakes.
    Cheers, Ralph

From that last image it would appear the loading device was removed and it was a non std mod.

What is interesting is they did not run with the 2405 or other bullet devices? Regardless it was crude. One can only imagine it was an ultra HF enhancement.

lfh

Another early pair spotted

January Sound Studios in Dallas

Thread Information