Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The original Westlake / Sierra / Eastlake monitor

Westlake TM1 Cherokee/MGM Studios

These were one of the original pairs of the Westlake TM1's originally installed in what was MGM Studios, in 1971, before Cherokee took over in 1974.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some sort of an idea of what these might be worth-or if in anybody would be interested in making an offer, we are accepting now. More pictures are availiable if needed.

Thanks-Kevin

Maron Horonzakz
    Looks like they are missing a tweeter under the lip of mid horn.

What looks like a hole under the Mid Horn lip is actually a horn. Westlake used a 1" driver such as a JBL 2420 for the HF.

Regards
    AL

Maron Horonzakz
    Yes but it also had a small smith type horn in front of that..

Maron,

You are correct on the later versions, but the earlier versions used an extremely short coupling as pictured below.

Regards
    AL
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Interesting reading through this whole thread.

I stumbled across these and am working on saving them from the wrecking ball. With the pot gone from the baffles I'm thinking these converted to bi-amped at some point but they have not been powered up for years.

Anyone have any idea of year produced on something like this? Drivers are Gauss X2 and TAD TD-4001.

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Based on the shape of the horn, I would say these are early Westlakes. If the drivers are still in good shape, they are certainly worth saving. If the drivers are damaged they are no longer repairable... at least not to original factory spec.

Widget

The drivers appear to be in excellent condition. I don't have any other photos of the Gauss, but these...

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Wow Nice!

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by eso View Post
    The drivers appear to be in excellent condition. I don't have any other photos of the Gauss, but these...

eso
    That’s a good start, ideally you would have impedance plots, frequency response, and distortion plots as well. My first pair of TAD drivers were 4001s that I purchased from a studio in LA. They were a pair of NOS drivers they kept in reserve to replace the mains if an overzealous engineer blew them during a session.

Widget

I've been pondering building a 4350/55 TM-3 type clone, adding a 10" mid bass and tweeter...

Not that I need such a thing. The originals look to have always been a 2-way and the horns are oak, So I'm guessing it's very early.

What years were the first Westlake monitors produced?

eso

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    That I dont know. You would need an answer from Widget, Giskard, Ian, Zilch, or someone else that really understands the cabinet, and layout on baffle board and how the various drivers/horns interact with each other.

My guess is they put the tweeter where they did, because these speakers were to be soffit mounted, or hung overhead, and this way you got good on axis tweeter response in the listening position, but, this is just a guess.
    I think that the 2420 dispersion was conical…

Quote Originally Posted by maxserg View Post
    I think that the 2420 dispersion was conicalÂ…
    A driver without a lens would certainly be circular but bolting it to a hole through a sheet or two of plywood could mess with that! Best to think of the dispersion as uncontrolled.
    Michael Gillespie.

This is a lovely thread. I don't think I've come across it before.

Michael, it's good to see you still posting and sharing knowledge. I see John is still active on the forum too and I know Ken and Scott are missed.

In many of the photos/links of the control rooms the horns appear to be shooting over an engineer's head if seated at the console. Do those horns have much better vertical dispersion than I assume they have? Do they not want to be on axis vertically? Is it an optical illusion?

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    In many of the photos/links of the control rooms the horns appear to be shooting over an engineer's head if seated at the console. Do those horns have much better vertical dispersion than I assume they have? Do they not want to be on axis vertically? Is it an optical illusion?
    It is not clear to me which photos/links you are referring to.

Speaking only about our products, the minimum dispersion of our monitors are 60° vertical and 140° horizontal.

Our tweeters are unique in the industry in that they have 180° dispersion at 15kHz so that every person at the mixing desk or in the cheap seats at the back of the room hear the same imaging and detail.

When our monitors are soffit-mounted, they are set so that the mixing position is looking straight up the throat of the mid-range horn! Set this way, there is virtually no nearfield splash off the ceiling nor the mixing desk.
    Michael Gillespie.

Thread Information