Thread: Altec 950-8a SuperTweeter

Altec 950-8a SuperTweeter

Here's a look-see at a component that ( apparently ) never made it into regular production .

- This info is compiled from a 2002 auction .
    - I've neither heard ( or handled ) these tweeters .

Attached Images Attached Images  

VERY interesting! Thanks, Earl!

I think it was in this cabinet

I think Altec sold this 4343 look alike in Japan and that tweeter was used in it. A pair was on Ebay a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy
    VERY interesting! Thanks, Earl!
    Your Welcome !

CLICK HERE ! to read about the Altec 9862 speaker system that included this rare tweeter .

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    way cool......

thanks!

Thanks Earl!

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post

CLICK HERE ! to read about the Altec 9862 speaker system that included this rare tweeter .

I enjoyed that link.

I'm very surprised that no one mentioned doing a hybrid using JBL and Altec parts.

I know there are those who think I should be "tar'd and feather'd" for the thought, but I prefer (vintage that is!) Altec compression drivers and horns, and like using JBL for anything with a cone.

It has to do with the voicing of both. My hybrids are usually just 2-ways. Most of the time I used the 2226J's due to having them. Most of them are gone now and I miss them.

I think my choice of compression drivers might have something to do with what Earl has mentioned in the past, JBL drivers are underdamped and Altec drivers are overdamped.

Sorry for derailing the thread!!!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    I think my choice of compression drivers might have something to do with what Earl has mentioned in the past, JBL drivers are underdamped and Altec drivers are overdamped.

Sorry for derailing the thread!!!
    DeRail away !

- I think my words ( that you've referenced ) are a bit unfortunate . They really aren't accurate enough.
    - They stem from my general belief that Altecs' compression drivers have a lower BL figure with ( maybe ) a slightly heavier diaphragm (& therefore mms ) / as compared to a comparable JBL driver . .

- JBL drivers always sound "over-excited" to my ears ( hence that "under-damped" remark ) . I can understand why Giskard has said GT figures they all need aquaplas ( to make them "listenable" in an up close & personal situation ; my own paraphrasing ) .

- Now, I do love what JBL does with aquaplas on some of their cone type transducers . That's why all the woofer cones I listen to are aquaplased .

Quote Originally Posted by Ron
    I'm very surprised that no one mentioned doing a hybrid using JBL and Altec parts.

I know there are those who think I should be "tar'd and feather'd" for the thought, but I prefer (vintage that is!) Altec compression drivers and horns, and like using JBL for anything with a cone.
    - Not me ( but I think you know that ) .
    - You've articulated my favourite recipe for obtaining a HiFi sound / when using legacy parts from both of Lansings' offspring ( the best of both worlds and all that ) .

ps ; if I was a tweeter sort of guy / I'd probably enjoy those 950-8a(s) / though every Fostex tweeter I've listened to sounded like it sprang from the Altec school of engineered balance ( BL to Mms ) Since I own a boatload of Fostexs, I don't need anymore sidelined parts for the shelves .

Thumbs up

Very interesting tweeters.
    The best ones I have ever heard.

But very hard to find one pair.

I have one but one piece is a little bit out. the sensibility is less than the other.

I woul find a diaphragm for it and a second pair for a second pair of speakers with "the engine".

If someone can tell me where I can find this model !!!

Patrick

Well if we had hand full of these lying around that would be the answer for the 846A, 846B, and any other Altec Tweeter/UHF driver addition issues or desires eh'?

Nice Find.

J/S-S1A

Also, very interesting reading on the Altec 9862 in that thread, I would really like of hear a set of those. Very interesting speaker. Just by looks alone probably one of there best??????????
    Last edited by sourceoneaudio; 02-22-2007 at 08:52 AM. Reason: More to say.

Thread Information