Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Altec Santiago 878A Speakers

Nightbrace

Altec Santiago 878A Speakers

I am wanting to find out anything I can about these speakers. I am wondering why the Altec Santiagos are not regarded very highly by anyone? They cost $1050.00 a pair in 1974, putting them on the high end of anything available at the time... Is it mainly because they do not use the same woofer as the Altec 19 why they are not appreciated and collected?

I am hoping to pick up a set of Santiagos for my bedroom Overall will they sound very close to the Altec 19's, or will they have a distinctly unique sonic character? What differences will there be between them and the Altec 19's? I have read that they make stellar bass, even a bit lower and more dynamic than the 19's (but are a bit lacking in the midbass), and also that they tend to have more of a peaked midrange (which I'm told can be solved by adding more damping around the horns) and tend to roll off even earlier than what the 19's do. Is there anyone out there that can confrim this? And is there any reason why they roll off sooner?

The Horns are the 811's with 806-8A compression drivers/ Woofers are 15" 413-8A woofers which utilize 4" edgewound voice coils similiar to the 19's/ The efficiency of these speakers is very similiar as well. These particular speakers have N801-8A crossovers..

Nightbrace
    Will they be appreciably better as compared to a more modest offering like the Altec 14?

According to my price sheet the 878A Santiagos were priced at $529.00 a piece, $1,058.00 for a pair.

I would imagine, that even though they were higher priced by $50.00 a speaker compared to the 846 Valencias - time only told that the 411-8A woofers, just don't compare to 416-8B's.

If you like the sonic characteristics of the 19s and want an additional system - I would purchase a pair of 846 Valencias. There is a pair on in Texas right now.

...but of course, this is only my opinion.

Has anyone on this forum ever did a direct A/B comparison on the 411-8A woofers VS. 416-8B woofers?

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks.

-Storm.

im thinking of bidding on those,if i can find a forum member in the area to box them up and ship them

Nightbrace
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    According to my price sheet the 878A Santiagos were priced at $529.00 a piece, $1,058.00 for a pair.

I would imagine, that even though they were higher priced by $50.00 a speaker compared to the 846 Valencias - time only told that the 411-8A woofers, just don't compare to 416-8B's.

If you like the sonic characteristics of the 19s and want an additional system - I would purchase a pair of 846 Valencias. There is a pair on in Texas right now.

...but of course, this is only my opinion.

Has anyone on this forum ever did a direct A/B comparison on the 411-8A woofers VS. 416-8B woofers?

Any opinions would be great.

Thanks.

-Storm.
    I am thinking the same, want something a little different.. Why have the same speaker? Where are the Valencias you are talking about advertised?

Jim -

I would buy those. The seller is one of the members on this site. I am sure he would have no problem to help box them up and find a shipper.

Just like SPWAL says with the 19s - the Valencias are becoming more scarce and will eventually either be too expensive to obtain for most, or there won't be a supply.

I have been watching eBay and since I purchased mine about 10 months ago, I have seen maybe 5 pairs - if that.

Good luck.

-Storm.

Nightbrace

Thank you SO much for this thread, it did not come up when I searched for some reason, looks like they are a worthwhile speaker system to persue, especially for the money..

Nightbrace
    Jim -

I would buy those. The seller is one of the members on this site. I am sure he would have no problem to help box them up and find a shipper.

Just like SPWAL says with the 19s - the Valencias are becoming more scarce and will eventually either be too expensive to obtain for most, or there won't be a supply.

I have been watching eBay and since I purchased mine about 10 months ago, I have seen maybe 5 pairs - if that.

Good luck.

-Storm.
    WHere are these Valencias you speak of?

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

5 pairs showing up annually is not a real small amount IMO

see how many original RLA or John Curl Symmetry crossovers you see on EBay in the next year...

first things first, what do you think the reserve is? and you would think that chitown would have altecs come up more often...

do you check craigslist?

do those things come with screens?

I feel blessed that the 19s came up, otherwise i would be looking for the late model valencias. Im surprised that they put such large components in such a small box...

Louped -

That is not alot, compared with the demand in the far East for such speakers.

5 pairs is a mere drop in the bucket.

I feel blessed to own a pair, just like anyone else would be blessed to own the paragon or L300 Summit.

SPWAL -

I bet the reserve is at least $800.00, which is still a fair price. I asked him, but he would not tell me.

I do know, from his posts that he paid $240.00 - lucky guy!

-Storm.

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Storm,

you make it sound as if every resident of the far east is waiting, money in hand, for someone on Ebay to list whatever piece of old american audio....

Honestly, many asians do not use Ebay at all.... they have a different auction site that is much more popular...

and the pieces that do end up being shipped to the orient, from what I understand at least, tend to be in pristine original condition and somewhat, if not exceptionally, rare...

I still think at least 5 showing up is not a small amount.... they are not exceedingly rare...

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    Thank you SO much for this thread, it did not come up when I searched for some reason ....
    It was also linked by louped garouv in Storm's thread about these from last week, in which you posted just two days ago:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ad.php?t=14038

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbrace View Post
    ... looks like they are a worthwhile speaker system to persue, especially for the money.
    We ain't reading the same thread, obviously....

Thread Information