Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is this pink fiber insulation bad for you?

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Yes, which is why most building codes no longer allow occupancy where fiberglass insulation is exposed. I have a friend whose brother worked for Owens-Corning's legal department. He always said the asbestos scare, removal, and suits were nothing compared to what he expected from fiberglass insulation claims someday. He said one fiber ingested into your lungs can cause malignancies. I was so glad to hear that since I helped a buddy build a Meyer's Manx dune-buggy one summer and we ate and breathed the fiberglass dust, and it stuck to every sweaty piece of skin on our teenage bodies. Still makes me itch to think about it. Lucky to be alive almost 40-years later, I suppose.
    Yeah I should say so.

I don’t even like the stuff since I suffer from Psoriasis for the past 27 years. I have to deal with my fair share of itching and scratching.

Last time I was around fibreglass was when my dad and I was installing bundles of it for sound insulation around mid late 1990’s. I was itching for the rest of the day, I was bitching and moaning all the time, and my dad was getting feed up at my bitching.

It doesn’t seem to bother him, but then he doesn’t have to worry about Psoriasis 24/7.

I am not sure what sort of fibre glass you guys are talking about but the stuff we have down here is super low allergenic. If you are carefull when handling the stuff, you dont need a mask or gloves. Glass being glass is a very clean product. The fibres are so small that, believe it or not, the body acyually disolves them. Unless you are talking about ingesting a few cups of the stuff a day, medicaly speaking there are no issues with it appart from a bit of itching under certain circumstances.

Allan.

P.S. A hot shower will solve the itching problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I am not sure what sort of fibre glass you guys are talking about but the stuff we have down here is super low allergenic. If you are carefull when handling the stuff, you dont need a mask or gloves. Glass being glass is a very clean product. The fibres are so small that, believe it or not, the body acyually disolves them. Unless you are talking about ingesting a few cups of the stuff a day, medicaly speaking there are no issues with it appart from a bit of itching under certain circumstances.

P.S. A hot shower will solve the itching problem.
    I wouldn't make such statements so glibly. Let me reiterate what I wrote in this thread nearly two years ago: Owens Corning has a pot-full of lawyers just to handle lung cancer cases related to fiberglass. And that's in addition to the lobbyists they employ to keep from having fiberglass regulated as a carcinogen. No construction code I'm aware of allows exposed fiberglass insulation and they are all specific about requiring covering the insulation to avoid exposure. Itchy skin is the least of the issues. Lung cancer even beyond the rate of incidents from asbestos exposure has been the problem for at least the past thirty years. A good friend's brother makes a tidy living as an attorney for Owens Corning, that's how I know about it.

Be safe working with fiberglass and treat it as you would any potentially dangerous material. At the very least you should wear a respirator or mask when working with glass fiber, keep it way from children, and seal your work to ensure the fiber cannot be transferred into the air.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

As I said, the stuff you have there must have other bad stuff mixed with it. The product we have here is totaly safe and has "NEVER" in this country been shown to be a carcinogen. Asbestos, on the other hand, is a totaly different kettle of fish.

Health effects from exposure to fiberglass can be different depending on the fiber size and type of exposure. Larger fibers have been found to cause skin, eye and upper respiratory tract irritation. There are other possible health effects:
    • A rash can appear when the fibers become embedded in the outer layer of the skin. No long-term health effects should occur from touching fiberglass.
    • Eyes may become red and irritated after exposure to fiberglass.
    • Soreness in the nose and throat can result when fibers are inhaled. Asthma and bronchitis can be aggravated by exposure to fiberglass.
    • Temporary stomach irritation may occur if fibers are swallowed.
    Little information is known about the health effects caused by small fibers. Smaller fibers have the ability to reach the lower part of the lungs increasing the chance of adverse health effects.
    People who work with fiberglass or who have worn-out duct work lined with fiberglass in their homes or workplace may have long-term exposure to fiberglass. There is no evidence that fiberglass causes cancer in people. Animal studies have shown an increased risk of cancer when fiberglass fibers were implanted in the lung tissue of rats, but these studies are controversial because of how the fibers were implanted. Based on these animal studies, the International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified some fibers used in fiberglass as possible human carcinogens (cancer causing agents).

We have used the stuff here for as long as I can remember and I have recently spoken to a medical advisor reguaring the issue and there have not been any cases here, that he is aware of, relating to glass fibre.

Allan.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    We have used the stuff here for as long as I can remember and I have recently spoken to a medical advisor reguaring the issue and there have not been any cases here, that he is aware of, relating to glass fibre.
    Obviously your insulation manufacturers have a good legal team on the job, too!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

JBL 4645
    If you’re going to handle fibreglass for long hours, ware one of these then afterwards wash it!
    I’d ware one of these to keep all itchy fibreglass particles from coming into contact with skin! Sorted!

Then again neighbours will start wondering what your doing in forensic clothing around the front entrance of the garage?

You’d have to just say. Hi-Fi speaker building is a forensic science.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by macaroonie View Post
    If you put a fresh prawn in each cabinet you will not notice the musty smell ever again. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Just trying to be helpful you understand.
    Now that's funny! Iv'e told this story before, but "fresh prawn" just makes it pop right out again...

Heard a local DJ, who happened to be a "rock star" back in the day telling this on the air. One night after a catered show, with several bands, they dumped all the left-over shrimp into one of their speaker cabs (right on the fiberglass for all I know), to take it home. During the load out, that cab got mixed up with one of the other bands identical cabs... He said the guy still gives him evil looks when they meet today...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    Now that's funny! Iv'e told this story before, but "fresh prawn" just makes it pop right out again...
    I guess that’s not as bad seeing snails inside JBL speaker cabinet. Put prawns, no.
    Ummmm this JBL smells fishy?

Thread Information