Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired of lurking

Tired of lurking

I don't know how I missed this site. I found it less than a week ago and have been lurking. Thought it was time I say something.

I am not a very technical type, so alot of stuff flies over my head. But I am learning. I probably won't post often, but will be in lurk mode often.

I lucked onto a pair of Altec Model 17's 604-8g in factory oak veneer 620 cabs at a church yardsale about 18 months ago. One had a bad HF diaphram, which I replaced thru Bill at GPA. Up to that point all I had were SS vintage receivers to power them, which was ok, but I wanted to try them with tubes. About a year ago I found a local tech (has LOTS of vintage gear) who I bought a nice pair of McIntosh MC40 monos from and have been in musical bliss ever since.

I am mostly (not 100%) an analog guy, having 2 turntables. A modded Thorens TD160 w/ Linn LVX arm/ Denon 110 and a Technics SP-25 with a Goldring 1042. My CD player is a Marantz CC65se.

Anyway, thought I would let myself be known. I doubt I can answer many questions that people may have. But I might come up with some questions of my own from time to time.

Steve

Oh, and I have had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with a character that goes by moldyoldy. It is true that he is pretty moldy, but he isn't really that old. He just looks and smells like he is.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by www.records View Post
    Oh, and I have had the pleasure of meeting and becoming friends with a character that goes by moldyoldy. It is true that he is pretty moldy, but he isn't really that old. He just looks and smells like he is.
    Hey! We appreciate the heads up!

Gary L
    Welcome WRecords. Might have run in to you over on AK and it is OK to be a member of both.

Nice to get the low-down on Moldy!

I imagine Giskard aint the prettiest sight either

Gary

....snip...He just looks and smells like he is.
    Textbook cleanness envy, Mommy scrubbed him with a brillo pad.

Watch this guy, he wears a surgical mask and gloves to change an album. Carries papers stating he's harmless. Hasn't had an episode since release.

Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    Textbook cleanness envy, Mommy scrubbed him with a brillo pad.

Watch this guy, he wears a surgical mask and gloves to change an album. Carries papers stating he's harmless. Hasn't had an episode since release.

The first time moldyoldy pulled into my driveway, I thought he was here to repo my trailer. The women and children hid and the dogs went crazy.

Other than that he looks kinda human.

Gary, yeah, I am a member at AK too, along with the AudioAsylum. Hang out almost exclusively in vinyl over there. Seem to meet some good folks wherever I hang my hat.

Thanks for the welcome!

Gary L
    Nice to have you visiting here.
    Lots of good folks in all the sites mentioned, you just have to sepreate the wheat from the chaff.

Gary

Man, dubdubdub, they even let you in here? Sheesh

Hey Dave!! Good to see ya. Yeah, they don't seem very picky about who they let in the door. Most places I try to go results in "access denied".

Is St. Louis staying away from the ice storm?

Hey Dave!! Good to see ya. Yeah, they don't seem very picky about who they let in the door. Most places I try to go results in "access denied".

Is St. Louis staying away from the ice storm?
    Unfortunately we are not. Not as bad as last time, yet. There are several without power though.

Glad to see you made it over here and that you are a fellow Altec guy.

Rex, I hope you guys don't get anything like you did about a month or so ago. I live in Joplin and so far we still have power, but the lights have been flickering, which is not a good sign. The limbs and powerlines are sagging and we are still getting freezing rain. Not good!!

My brother-in-law lives in Belleville and the last storm up that way had them without power for a week. Lets hope this isn't a repeat of that mess.

www.records - I think I have "seen" you over @ AK.

welcome... we've been expecting you...

Rex, I hope you guys don't get anything like you did about a month or so ago. I live in Joplin and so far we still have power, but the lights have been flickering, which is not a good sign. The limbs and powerlines are sagging and we are still getting freezing rain. Not good!!

My brother-in-law lives in Belleville and the last storm up that way had them without power for a week. Lets hope this isn't a repeat of that mess.
    I sure hope it's not like the last one. We were without power here for 5 days and 7 days in the summer due to windstorm.

I know we have that wave that is hitting you now on it's way. Lets hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Everything View Post
    I know we have that wave that is hitting you now on it's way. Lets hope for the best.
    ITS BEEN BELOW freezing a couple of days here in Portland, smatterings of snow still on the ground. havnt been too far away from the woodstove all day , happily the big speakers flank the stove
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

They look great.

Thread Information