Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-130 and Paragon?

hifiguy9

Question D-130 and Paragon?

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use the JBL D-130 woofers in a JBL paragon system and if so would the sound be any different than what is usually used in this system. And what is the difference between D-130 and 154-C. Your input would be appreciated.

They may physically fit, and "work", but any modification away from the original components will certainly sound different. The paragon / metreon series are very delicate balances of components and reflecting surfaces to get the dispersion just right. This doesn't make what you are asking wrong, it's only that you're challenging a bunch of well-tested engineering decisions by going our own way.

The D-, E- and K-series are designed for very specific (instrument) applications
    Last edited by boputnam; 12-20-2003 at 07:57 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

hifiguy9
    Thanks for your answer Bo. I'm just a little puzzeled about this because I sold a Paragon recently to a fellow I know and the unit worked great when it was delivered and here it is 3 months later and he claims the 150's suddenly went dead and wants me to compensate him somehow since he paid so much for it. So the only thing I have right now are the D130's hence my reason for asking. I suppose if it does work out I will get the 150-4c's in return and take them to a tech and have them redone if that is the problem. A freind of mine told me the 150's have a much higher value than the 130's and to go for it. I just don't want the guy being sore at me for something he may have done wrong and is trying to blame me for.

Obsolete
    You didn't happen to sell that Paragon to some fellow in Chicago who also recently bought a pair of L-112's did you?

hifiguy9
    No, not in Chicago. Here local in Cincinnati, Ohio

Of course the old "4C's" are worth a LOT more because the repair kits for those have been out of stock for many many years.

If you have a blown one it's now a doorstop. period.

And since they were designed to handle a whopping 75 watts ( a LOT in those days ) 10 bucks says they were blown from being overpowered.

If he had them for such a long time and suddenly "both" died, there's NO way it is your fault. He poofed 'em.

If you sold him a car and he wrapped it around a tree 3 months later that year do you have to compensate him for that?

Like the car you didn't drive the speaker you didn't drive either...

Ask giskard if that kit has "reappeared" on the parts list. Seems pro and consumer ( who probably would never share beers after work anyways ) have different prices / availabilitys and other inventory issues....

For the closest sound, I think the K145 would be the choice. Or for the truly insane volume possibilitys I would bet the 2227H would be an interesting choice.....

sub

First,Are you sure that there were 150-4C speakers in the Paragon and not the LE15?Second,if it was in good functioning shape when it left you and was abused by the new owner,I would consider it his problem and not yours.While the power handling of the 150-4C is only 30 watts it is a highly efficent speaker.The level that this speaker would produce in the Paragon enclosure would be deafening.If you are interested I will swap a pair of perfectly working LE15 speakers that have been refoamed for the pair of blown 150s even up.Oldmics

Giskard,That Chicago Paragon with the 150 speakers came up from Florida.Oldmics

Originally posted by hifiguy9
    ...here it is 3 months later and he claims the 150's suddenly went dead and wants me to compensate him ...
    I think that would be what is called "totally absurd". I agree with subwoof, unless this is a family member or you made representations of "good for the rest of your life".

I'm also sure, sure, sure like Giskard is, that this guy is related to the guy Guy sold his L112's to, too (perhaps my best syntax all year... ).

I think you two are taking this eBay thing a bit too seriously. I've got quite a few things from eBay that were basically barely as represented, but either failed sorta soon after, or the seller used a numeric scale base 20, or something. Whatever. I either use it, re-sell on eBay with accurate description, or leave it stacked in the garage unitl I no longer get cross seeing it. When I am a seller, and my buyers have complained (once) I offer full refund+shipping, and that is the end.

As an aside, as with another erudite Forumite here, I consider all transducers I buy to be needing reconing, no matter what.
    Last edited by boputnam; 12-21-2003 at 11:47 AM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Bestsmurfs
    I agree, they all have to be assumed to need reconing. I did a sloppy surround job on my Le 14’s and while they “work fine” there is no way they sound like a professionally reconed speaker.
    I advertised them on eBay as such and got “no sale” while all the dam liars who said their speakers were fine with rotted surrounds or new surrounds sold for big $$$. Note to buyers, all vintage drivers need to be re-coned by an authorized repair center unless they are accompanied by a dated receipt. Just my opinion of course. Regarding the “both went dead” woofers, suck it up buddy, you cooked em’.

Happy holidays to all my JBL homies out their in JBL land.

Smile

As a paragon owner, I have often wondered how different woofers would sound. I was told by the owner of Pecar Electronics in Detroit back in the 60s that JBL switched to the Le-15a to get deeper bass. There is deeper base on the paragon than would be expected given that the horn loading doesn't go below 50-60 hz I can hear (feel) footfalls and an impressive anvil on a recording of Das Rheingold. Putting in a D130 might be bass deficient and require crossover changes. I have also found the paragon to be very system dependent. When I acquired an Atma-sphere amp & preamp, I thought wow! where did that bass come from.
    Stephen C.

Maron Horonzakz
    Ive all ways wonder,d what a pair of 2234 or 2235 woofers would do in the PARAGON.

I have a pair of 2234s which I would like to try in the paragon, but I think putting in mass rings to make them 2235s would be better to match efficiency with the Le-15a (another project). Might get away with just adjusting the xover down 1 notch. Also the le-15a is damn heavy to hold while unbolting , really needs 2 persons. Anyone in the southeast want to help?
    Stephen C.

Alex Lancaster

Smile

I can´t wait to hear from You about the results; if You could try the 2234´s first, and later add the mass rings, even better.

While You are at it, try 077/2405's instead of the 2402's, You will need more eq, but it would be really interesting.

Then again, it is like putting a turbo on Your 1950's Rolls Royce.

Alex.

A friend of mine bought a paragon from the original owner. It was serial number 138. It was made of plywood and originally had 150-4cs. In the sixties the store in L.A. told the owner that he should upgrade the speakers to LE-15s as per JBL recommendation which he did. My paragon of later vintage has LE15s. I have never had any desire to change the woofers even though I have 130.d130,136a,LE15b,K145. Another friend had a metrogon with original 130a. After a great deal of experimentation he finally decided on LE15s.

Thread Information