Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2435-HPL on a smith horn

2435-HPL on a smith horn

Has any of the members here tried the 2435-HPL drivers on a scaled down DIY smith horn like john W's 1" version ?

Is size an issue?? You should be able to get a 1.5-2" adaptor. I think norealtalent has them in the full size configuration. If I remember the full size loads to about 1k or a little higher. You can't go 1.5-1 without cancellation problems up top.

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...highlight=2435

Rob

Thanks rob very helpful , I seen that you were having a bad day with yours, ( droped it ) , so what you got going with your pair ( more 4430 stuff) thanks bill

Any one have a 2397 horn and throat adpt. 4 sale ? I only need one for a center channel.
    Don't care how ugly just as long it works well ,may use it for a pattern to make some nice wood ones ?

center channel

I will be using a 2435HPL driver on a 2397 horn with a 2405 UHf for my center channel. now I need to come up with a midbass or bass driver for the lower end. do I sub woofer or not to sub woofer? space could be limited for it will need to loacated above the TV. any ideas?

would the le14a be a good choice / will the lower mids blend well with the 2397 horn ?

What low- and mid- frequency drivers will you be using in your mains and surrounds?

David

Steve Gonzales
    I use a 076/2441-2397/LE14 combo with very pleasing results. I cross at 800hz and 5khz now, but will assume that when I upgrade my electronic crossover to allow for a higher 7-9khz mid to UHF xover point, it will be even better.

mains

on my mains I am using 2 tad 1602 for bass, 2123 10" for midbass, Le85 on bruce edgar's saild bowl horns and 2404 uhf. Does just one LE14A seem to keep up with the 2397 ?

Steve Gonzales

Yep

In my case they do Kartsmart, what are you using for a crossover?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For the center channell you should use the same UHF, HF and mid drivers you are using for the mains. Depending on the crossover point, whether you go into the lows in the center is optional, and choice of drivers may be less critical. In the upper frequencies it matters more. If you use different drivers from your mains in the center the image will move about with differences in frequency response. It won't be much fun.

I'm not getting what Steve is saying about an LE14A keeping up with a 2397 and driver. Don't those speakers have a nice 5" cone midrange? Naturally you can Lpad the more efficient drivers down, but an LE14A probably should not be asked to meet up with a 2397/2435 at a crossover point.

David

Steve Gonzales
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    For the center channell you should use the same UHF, HF and mid drivers you are using for the mains. Depending on the crossover point, whether you go into the lows in the center is optional, and choice of drivers may be less critical. In the upper frequencies it matters more. If you use different drivers from your mains in the center the image will move about with differences in frequency response. It won't be much fun.

I'm not getting what Steve is saying about an LE14A keeping up with a 2397 and driver. Don't those speakers have a nice 5" cone midrange? Naturally you can Lpad the more efficient drivers down, but an LE14A probably should not be asked to meet up with a 2397/2435 at a crossover point.

David
    They used to have a nice 5" cone midrange until I replaced them with 2312/2420's and McCauley 451 800hz elliptical's/LE85's. I've also owned and used the 2435hpl/2397 combo with 435Be. backcaps on them crossed at 800hz. I use an electronic crossover now so the L-pad thing doesn't apply to my example. The LE14 A or H can easily keep up with the 2435/2397/435Be backcap combo when crossed over at 800hz. The 2435hpl is probably better off being crossed over at 1-1.2k and that might prove to be a little high to ask of most large JBL LF transducers. My current setup also crosses over at 800hz and that works very well, especially now that I use 2441's on the 2397's. As far as building a timbre matched center, yes, you should use the same model drivers that are in your mains if at all possible. If you have a DD/DTS processor that is in the same league as your R/L mains (quality), it should have the proper bass management control to direct the LF information to the Mains. That will solve the subwoofer question(if you are satisfied with the L/R Main's LF output) and also free you from having to build a colossal center channel that includes a very large woofer (if that is a concern). The 2123 can be used down to about 70hz, as far as I know ( I've got a friend in Europe that does this but haven't actually heard it myself). I know it will do 1.3khz in the 4344MKII. The LE85/EdgarHorn in your mains is not going to sound the same as the 2435/2397, so there is a compromise as far as timbre is concerned, it still could have a positive result nevertheless. I look at it this way: get the pieces together and mock up a testbed center channel. Try a 2123/2435/2397/2404 combo. Cross at 1khz/9khz and use the processor's bass management set @ 80hz high pass for the center channel. Just an idea.
    Good Luck with your project, Steve G.

I have not yet started building the 2397's . so horn selection is still a option,
    Is the 2397's a big improvement over round horns that I now have in the mains ? If so I could change all 3 {mains and center) over to the 2397's or make up one more saild bowl horn for the center,
    Do you think there will be a problem with the 2435HPL and the LE85 that has aftermarket diaphragms in them matching sound quality if they were on the same horn design?

As for crossover I am using a DBX driverack studio

Steve Gonzales
    Quote Originally Posted by kartsmart
    I have not yet started building the 2397's . so horn selection is still a option,
    Is the 2397's a big improvement over round horns that I now have in the mains ? If so I could change all 3 {mains and center) over to the 2397's or make up one more saild bowl horn for the center,
    Do you think there will be a problem with the 2435HPL and the LE85 that has aftermarket diaphragms in them matching sound quality if they were on the same horn design?
    Whether or not the sonic difference between a 2397/LE85 and a 2435/2397 is a problem, is really up to your ears to decide. I will tell you that there is a big difference in the way they will sound compared to each other. This will be especially true if your aftermarket diaphragms are Titanium. If they are Radian Aluminum, to a lesser degree, but still different. But wouldn't you expect this anyway? I would also like to know what make and model surround processor you are using? Does the DBX allow for more than two channels of operation? If not, how will you crossover the center? A 1" driver on a 2397 is okay, but they really break into their stride with the large format driver.

Thread Information