Thread: Edgewound or others, need opinion please!

Edgewound or others, need opinion please!

I recently got my 2245H's back from reconing and they both seem to be functionally okay, but the surrounds are installed off center in the woofer flange. One is so bad that on one side the surround is stretched and pulled, - sorry I haven't been able to post pics due to my own computer incompetance.

The dealer thinks it may be bad cone kits. have you seen this before? They claim that it is the bobbin insert between the pole piece and voice coil that dictates the centering of the whole cone, including the surround.

The original surrounds were perfectly centered.

I think it's just plain wrong and don't want to have them in my 4345's.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas
    The original surrounds were perfectly centered.
    Chas...

They certainly should not have tension / strain showing. That "sounds" bad. Looking forward to posting some pictures.

Just for kicks, do you have a tone generator - and can you sweep these at a low voltage drive listening for VC rubbing?

I know what edge is gonna say... " "

Send 'em back - or better yet get a refund and send them someplace better suited to the task.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Yeah Bo, I hear you. I haven't tried 30 Hz yet as the dealer says they were tested - when I apply equal downward pressure on the cone, there isn't any rubbing.

When I apply slightly unequal pressure there is some VC scraping evident, but since this my first experience with 18 inchers, I am not sure if this could be normal. It's a dammed big cone!

Funny thing is that I was going to order new 2245H's, but they talked me out of it....

Thanks for your thoughts.

If the dealer thinks they "may be bad cone kits," then he should have no problem returning them for correct replacement under warranty.

Return them to Northridge, if necessary....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    If the dealer thinks they "may be bad cone kits," then he should have no problem returning them for correct replacement under warranty.

Return them to Northridge, if necessary....
    Good idea Zilch, but a lttle expensive from Toronto...

Hi Chas,

It sounds to me like a bad recone. The whole idea of reconing a driver is to make it as new again...at least from the moving assembly point of view...and the whole structure should be cleaned up as well.

If the kit was defective from the factory...and it does happen occassionally...they should've used a different kit and never let that one leave the store.

A recone should look like it came off the production line.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound
    Hi Chas,

It sounds to me like a bad recone. The whole idea of reconing a driver is to make it as new again...at least from the moving assembly point of view...and the whole structure should be cleaned up as well.

If the kit was defective from the factory...and it does happen occassionally...they should've used a different kit and never let that one leave the store.

So, it IS possible that the woofer cone was pulled over during reassembly, before glueing the surround to the frame, right?

A recone should look like it came off the production line.
    Thanks Edge: Just as Bo and I thought, plus - my suspicions are compounded by the fact that they are BOTH off center, one is just a whole lot worse. Hard to believe it's TWO defective cone kits!

So, it is possible to reinstall the cone off center from the frame, right?

I think I'll try to keep 'em and get a credit towards a new pair....it's the only assurance I'll have of getting woofers that meet JBL specification. These folks just don't seem to get it.

Thanks everyone for the input.

So, it is possible to reinstall the cone off center from the frame, right?
    Only if you're a dolt... Anyone trying this had better know better!!

I know it's late in the exercise, but if you're still debating - get these fixed AND get a new pair of 2245's. I've done just that, and once the new ones got broken-in, the response is nothing shy of fantastic. I figured I wanted another +20-years from these cabinets, and why not start new!!??

Sorry to hear of your bad repair - now you have MORE waiting...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

. Hard to believe it's TWO defective cone kits!
    ...sometimes that happens too.

Believe me...it doesn't make a small Service Center's life anymore profitable when we have to do the same job twice...sometimes three times...because we got a run of bad parts from the factory.

Nonetheless...I'd rather take too long and do the job right, before I'll send lousy work out to the field to advertise incompetence. The pain of the wait is diminished over time by quality work....and as you know....this work isn't particularly cheap.

BTW....are you certain they were factory kits? Did you get them back in the recone kit boxes?
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

"Quote" BTW....are you certain they were factory kits? Did you get them back in the recone kit boxes?

Yes, I did. In fact JBL even included new cork cabinet mounting gaskets that my dealer says are NLA!

"Quote" Sorry to hear of your bad repair - now you have MORE waiting...

Tell me about it Bo. JBL's rep in Canada have not been the fastest, ever.

I am dying to hear the 4345's. I bought them in April, I think it was, and have yet to hear a sqeak out of them. My 2122H recones are rolling in one at a time (thanks to Canada Post) expertly reconed from our freind who is MIA around here

Thread Information