Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: The McRitchie Project speaker....

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by moldyoldy View Post
    Having spent nearly as long on a personal project due to hesitancy to commit to various details, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to finish one with multiple, competent sources of input and skill. While looking forward to the results, I can be confidently patient, knowing it will be worth the wait.
    There has been alot of pondering going on, especially in the area of the horn and compression driver.

I've no idea of the horn details, but saw the request to scan one to clone. I've had pretty good success cloning a couple of horns by pushing the bottom of a (double layer) trash bag through the throat (extending signifigantly beyond), then using expanding foam in the bag(s) to form a solid cast. Pour-foam is preferable to spray, as the expansion rate is known (so you don't overdo it), and higher densities can be achieved, resulting in a very durable casting to work with. Concerns of bag leakage can be reduced by first lining the horn with foil secured by painter's release tape. First test foam and bag for negative reactions of course.

For making 'glass replicas, I carefully cover the foam plug with foil and foil tape, then apply a coat of PVA mold release. Inefficient for production quantities, but great for a few. I suppose such a plug could be measured/modeled for use with other construction methods, easier, safer, and more accurately than working from the original.

I've no idea if this is applicable. If not....as R. Rosannadanna said...never mind.

Maron Horonzakz
    By the time they get done with that project, JBL will be out with Everest III

Obsolete
    Positive reinforcement removes days.

Negative reinforcement adds weeks.

Giskard,
    Who is doing the cabinets?

Jeff
    J/S-S1A
    Jeff-S1A

Obsolete
    I am now.

Due to my significant deliverable schedule I asked riessen if he would veneer them and he accepted. There was a point where I was seriously considering asking him to finish building the boxes too but he's pretty busy as well and that would also require more trips to and from Chicago. It would also require me to draw up the changes I've made and I just don't have time for that right now.

I'm also doing the networks and although I've done alot of work in that area I've somewhat lost interest since Don has a DEQX now.

Mr. Widget is doing the H9800/435Be/045Be horn modules. I also wanted to have someone do H4338/435Be horn modules with an upgrade path to the 476Be but I don't think that is going to happen. The K2-S9800 isn't upgradeable and I wanted to avoid that scenario with this Project. The H4338 seems to be a better match with the fifteens while the H9800 seems fine with the twelves and a slightly higher x-over frequency.

Maron Horonzakz
    I built a complete Paragon in 3 months thats including building the jig to form the curved panel,,Carving the legs & applying the finish....And with all you nurds you cant complete that project? What have you guys got to do with your time? Whats more important? Dont give me that excuse that your tired & the family pressures got you side tracked....The prioraties or to the mission...There is 24 hours in a day...You can rest when its done. What a bunch of wussies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But Ill forgive you this time, We can blame it on W Bush

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    I built a complete Paragon in 3 months...
    Cool! But I don't know anyone that wants one....

What a bunch of wussies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Damn - you got me. But, best to leave me out of this.

We can blame it on W Bush
    Er, not this. His doings are certainly not audiophile...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I built a complete Paragon in 3 months thats including building the jig to form the curved panel,,Carving the legs & applying the finish....And with all you nurds you cant complete that project? What have you guys got to do with your time? Whats more important? Dont give me that excuse that your tired & the family pressures got you side tracked....The prioraties or to the mission...There is 24 hours in a day...You can rest when its done. What a bunch of wussies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But Ill forgive you this time, We can blame it on W Bush
    Maron,

I am not sure if you were directly involved at some point or are an outsider. Building something yourself (as apposed to a team covering more than one nation) is a relatively simple exercise. Trust me.

To Widget,

The problem is so many have heard about it but too few know what has happened including myself. Many of us have put time, money and effort into that endeavour and as the case may be we may no longer be directly involved.

I think its reasonable for anyone to ask what is the state of play regardless of any ""issues"" and for you to respond with some facts and do it nicely.

Who is the Project manager these days?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Maron,
    I am not sure if you were directly involved at some point or are an outsider. Building something yourself (as apposed to a team covering more than one nation) is a relatively simple exercise. Trust me.
    Very true!

Who is the Project manager these days?
    I am not sure there ever was a project manager... I suppose Don has always been the de-facto PM.

I think its reasonable for anyone to ask what is the state of play regardless of any ""issues"" and for you to respond with some facts and do it nicely.
    The current state of Project May is exactly as Giskard and I have posted in this thread. I am waiting for the bass boxes to be finished to a rough level and then I can begin building the high frequency sub-chambers.

It is really as simple as what I said in post #115. We simply haven't had the extra bandwidth to "crank out" the system. I have agreed to complete the high frequency horn sections and will do my best to complete them in a timely manner, however I am quite behind on several other projects at present and I am glad that the woofer boxes are not yet ready for me, and I know that Giskard has been spread pretty thin too.

I realize that you and quite a few others have put in a fair amount of time and money toward the goal of building Don a truly awesome system. I have every expectation that we will... as for when we will complete it? I have no idea.

I hope that clarifies things for you...

Widget

Thankyou.

My recollection was that Robert H. was holding the flag of PM (when I visited him in NY and was assisting at the time ... May 2004).

But that is now a long time ago for me..

I know Don was fairly keen on that aspect of the project at the time and there were regular meetings but I am not sure what has transpired since.

But the fact that you guys have stayed entact and sailed through what has come and gone is a credit you all and to the cause!

Ian

Maron Horonzakz
    My post was not to get every body riled up or angry but to point out that if your going to have a "MAY" project and Post it here,,,then the interest becomes every ones concern....I know every one has there own personal lives to manage, but if you volinteered to do something it should then move forward.. If your job is large or small do it well or not at all. My post of building the Paragon was to show the time scale to start and finish a project by my self in a timely manner....Hell you have a dozen men working on this,,,How hard are you going to make it? Ive designed fighter planes and had them built faster than that.

Ive designed fighter planes and had them built faster than that.
    What, like in Flight of the Pheonix.

Maron, you are being very unfair and labouring the point is not going to change anything at this stage.

I am quite sure we have the best minds and hearts on the job.

Ian

I was the PM with Ian helping out and we actually put some time into it like the first Project Team Ventrillo chats as an example. Things don't always workout the the way you plan them. The Project Team aspect just didn't work well, especially with people scattered all over the country. Right now it's with Widget and Giskard and there is no active PM going on. I really don't see the need as they are both more than capable of getting the job done.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Maron Horonzakz
    Rob...I understand your point and appreciate the answers....My comment was a wake up call...But to some may have sounded like a trumpet blast in the ear....I get the same reaction at the office when i want something done.

Thread Information