Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The McRitchie Project speaker....

Hi

Wow, a guy goes away for a bit - to work - and all this breaks out . ( I'm also going into 2 days of R&R blackout time so I better speak now )

I haven't read all the posts but it seems that 2235s & 2405s are now a given . If for financial resons ths project gets knocked back to a 2-way system I can contribute a pair of pristine Altec 416-8C . I wanted to match these to a JBL 2430 driver on a 60° x 30° horn - to make an update on a Model 19 - but that project is so far away I would rather realize it's execution for Don - if its of any use.

(A) Can I suggest that the system be divided into separate top & bottom boxes - ( like a upsized / split 250Ti ) There are numerous advantages to this approach.

(i) Cost of shipping
    (ii) Easier ( cheaper ) to fix mistakes in construction & execution of such
    (iii) More manageable parts - as a size for the constructor .
    (iv) Easier on the back of the actual owner for room placements , etc.
    (v) Added flexibility for future upgrades / changes

(B) I was going to suggest raising monies & buying the "Performance Series" PC600 parts and making MTM "top boxes" sitting on top of separate le14s that I would donate . That seems to be out - which is fine - if the room is actually there for 15" woofers.

(C) I like subwoofs suggestion of the 2012 deep-gapped mids . They do offer sonic advantages in resolution . Matched with the neodym 2230 drivers on an unknown horn, these would represent some of JBLs current crop of Hi-End products .
    I prefer bigger 2450SL sized drivers myself, after "taming" and tweaking that size of diaphragmed driver, there's no going back - but they may be beyond the financial reach of this project.. Havng said that I can easily contribute a pair a excess inventory 2426 drivers if Don doesn't mind the smaller diaphragmed driver size.

(D) Horn pattern should be matched to the listening environment to maximize the acoustic interface of the system. So, Don need to give us some info on room dimensions.

(E) I'm game to design & build some external crossovers, that will be charge- coupled and accessible to future upgrades of capacitor types - should Don decide to become a DIYer cap type of guy . Obviously , doing this long distance without the actual components present is tough.
    Luckily , I'm an expatriate "flat-lander" from the Canadian prairies - meaning - in certain seasons I'm able to make "house-calls" to Winnipeg.

(F) Final suggestion : fix a shipping date & work backwords from that.
    Having a timeline to work to is a necessary discipline that will also help "weed=out" a lot of "wishfull thinking . I vote for May 2004 - just before planting season on the prairies .

I'm toast & must sign off now . Forgive the spelling mistakes / & other errors

( Bo - Val D'Or/Rouan ??? Wow, you really are a geologist !!! )

Earl K

Great post, Earl, and nice to hear from you. May 2004 looks great, eh??? 6 months. It'll fly by quicker than we think.

Hey guys, go back to Kens post on the chat room he has set up and join us.......may be able to get things rolling better on there.......if you can't, for some reason, at least keep it rolling on here!! Thanks! We're having fun!
    MBB

No time for chatting. You guys figure it out and come back and let us know what we can do to help.

Widget

It does seem a bit problematic. We'll just keep hammering on here for now. If we need to we can all get on at some preset time. Time to hear a bit more from Don, it seems.
    MBB

Originally posted by Mr. Widget
    No time for chatting. You guys figure it out and come back and let us know what we can do to help.
    Same, here...

and:
    Originally posted by mikebake
    Time to hear a bit more from Don, it seems.
    I suggested that too, a few hours back. Since this ain't no surprise, we might as well get the starting blocks right, before we run the wrong race...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I promise a detailed reply. However, with the website move going on, it won't be until tomorrow.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Ready!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

I don't really have any relevant JBL hardware here to put in, but I'd be quite happy, to be involved in the crossover design/ box tuning/testing phase of this. A colleague of mine, has a complete LEAP/LMS setup... we could easily test and optimize this sucker, once it's in a state where it's playable in a "mock-up" form or whatever.

I've also had pretty extensive experience, with box bracing and other forms of "box behavior control". I'd be glad to carefully examine whatever enclosure is built, to see if there's anywhere careful damping or bracing can make it better.

Of course, this would mean someone would have to bring or send the speaker system to Atlanta sometime... as long as this isn't an insurmountable task, it'd be a pleasure for me to lend a hand...

BTW: I really dig the idea of a "Mother of All 250Ti's" style truncated-pyramid cabinet. THAT would make a statement, no doubt! Maybe we could make the pyramid in two parts- a base section for the one or two 2235s per side, and a midbass/mid/UHF section, made to "interlock" together, one on top of the other, continuing the pyramid shape and dimensions? That'd certainly make it easier to transport (you could probably send the sections by UPS, even) and possibly better sounding as well (isolated woofer and midbass cabinets, totally)...

Oh, one other thing: internal wiring. I could probably scare up some end-of-roll remnants of various AudioQuest cabling, that could be sliced up into individual conductors for internal wiring. Good stuff- solid-core, high-temp high-linearity dielectrics, high-purity, long-crystal copper, very neutral. Since we don't really need long lengths for this, it'd be the perfect thing to use the 6-8 feet left on a roll of say, AQ Slate, Bedrock, or whatnot. Most of these are like 6 or 8 18-guage conductors, individually insulated... could make LOTS of internal wiring...

Regards,
    Gordon.

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    I promise a detailed reply.
    Been thinkin' 'bout that.

If it were me, I think I'd cozy right-up close to Giskard, and seek some divine wisdom. Like a Golden Retriever sitting on your feet. Yea, we all got good ideas and some very useful experiences, but there's nobody out here with the depth of knowledge of that Techbot. Just imagine the network...

Plus, we know G.T. is lurking out here, too...

Stay on-the-ready, JBL Elves...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

WOOOHOOO! This is ALREADY fun, and more to come!!!

Hi Bo

I had the exact same thought. I've sent Giskard a PM and am waiting for a reply. In the interim, I've managed to recruit a technical advisor. I want his name kept out of this public discussion, but you shouldn't have any trouble figuring out who it is. I have sent some suggestions to him and am awaiting his reply. Until I get some more feedback, I won't be making the detailed post I mentioned earlier. I'll have to delay this until tomorrow when I will be in a better position to provide informed suggestions.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Hello Don

Just a thought I have been working/thinking about a box that will allow me to change out the top end. Like the rotateable 4343 top with a twist. You keep the 2235 in place and then drop in either a 4343/4344 top or a 4430. Just one more little idea to add to this. This way you can do damn near anything including hybrids with a 10" 2344 combo or any other future driver combos. Just swap out the panel and adjust the ports if required.

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 11-26-2003 at 04:45 PM.

OK, I got a response from my advisor much more quickly than I anticipated. This allows me to move forward.

Before I get started there are a few things I need to say. There have been a number of events over the past couple of months that have left me truly humbled and raised my spirits more than at any time in running this site. This “McRitchie Project Speaker” caps it off and I do want to let everyone know just how appreciative I am. It started with the fund drive that exceeded my expectations and I again want to thank everyone who participated. Next came John Nebel’s offer to host our site. For those who don’t know, this is our own [email protected] and I think the significance of his gesture cannot be overstated. Not only is he donating the webspace and bandwidth (that believe me is considerable) but he and his employee Ann have been providing a level of technical support that is unprecedented in my experience. My heartfelt thanks, and I trust the thanks of all of our members go out to them.

Now comes the “McRitchie Project Speaker” and I am speechless. I do want to make a couple of things clear about this project from my perspective. There is a very real danger that my exuberance about this will push my aspirations beyond what is reasonable, viable or cost effective. When this happens – Stop Me! I recognize that this project will only be the result of contributions of time, much effort and real out of pocket costs. In other words, every suggestion I make has consequences. Being the recipient of the final output of this project can only bias my perspective and may temporarily blind me to the true impact of some of these consequences. Therefore, feel free to be blunt and bring me down to earth as necessary.

Now some housekeeping. I would suggest renaming this effort to the Lansing Heritage Project Speaker since it is my sincere hope that our membership at large will derive some benefit from the final result. The project has moved to the stage where some privacy issues have arisen. As a result, I have created a new private forum called the Lansing Heritage Project into which I am suggesting all future conversations on the details of the project should be held. This forum is only visible to participants of the project. For now, I have set it up so that everyone that has participated in this thread is a member of the new forum. If you want to be added as a member, just PM me and I will make it happen. However, due to the privacy issues, I need to keep membership down to those that want to participate. This participation does not have to be monetary or of tangible goods. Just offering advice is sufficient. However, I do want to keep lurkers out. You must join the conversation to become a member. I am developing a new thread called “Design Parameters” based on the conversation with my advisor and it will be the first in the new forum. I will keep this thread open for another day or so if people want to respond to this post. Then, I intend to close it so that discussion moves to the new forum.

In closing, I want to thank Mike Baker for coming up with this idea and pursuing it as strongly as he has. Mike – I am truly in your debt.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Hey Don, YOU'RE the MAN, so thank YOU. And we WILL make this thing happen, because it will be FUN!! There are so many great and knowledgeable dudes on here, and it's a blast to see the brainpower at work. In the end, some time down the road, you'll be listening to some music and suddenly the SUBLIME moment happens and you can just smile, because your speakers will be gettin' the job done. On with the show....

Thread Information