Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The McRitchie Project speaker....

Hey Subwoof, what baskets can be redone as the 2235 again??? And Don, check out subwoofs idea and also Tom Loizeaux idea. What think you??
    Boputnam, Ken, you've heard Don speak. Oldmics. Whaddaya think, gents. Lets start with the 2235, eh?

Hey oh baked one.

I know a source of about 20 JBL 15" frames - almost any 15 can become a 2235 EXCEPT the deep gap types ( 2220 family ) and the really deep gap types (LE15/2215/K145 family )

Now before ANYONE contacts me and begs for the chance to buy these I need to confirm this week. I have been away from the office for 2 months dealing with a death in the family...

Another suggestion:

(2) 2235H
    (1) 2012H
    (1) 2450SL/2332 ( array )
    (1) 2405H

A simple biamped vertical L/R off centered pair similar to the L250 made out of 1" baltic birch ( Lotsa birch in the canadien woods guys )

Xover can be a modified 3107 ( lots of them around ) and I can build the ( 4345 version ) 5234A cards....

oooooh!!! I have absolutely no complaints about the direction Tom indicated and that Subwoof has followed up. How could I?

I really like the 434X concept with a midbass driver to keep the horn cross-over up higher. I always thought the lower cross-over points on JBL compression drivers led to honkiness. The concept of biamping is also attractive and I can get the amps necessary for this along with an electronic x-over.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Wow...the master speaketh...

I have a pair of 4343's that "someday" will be finished but I have always preferred the larger format drivers over the smaller ones for clarity ( and they *are* lower distortion ) for vocals.

I am planning a version of what I posted using the (4) 1400Nd's I got from JBL a few years ago but was unsure if they would go low enough based on previous postings by others. They are more baffle freindly and would look a LOT like the 250's big brother.

As far as the horns, back in the "good old days" we had to settle for monstrous aluminum airplane wings ( 2350 ), baffle splatter ( 2395 ) or more recently long throats ( 2382 ) to use the 4" coils...

With the 1.5" drivers and fast expansion horns ( 2332 small, 2381 medium and 2352 large ) and improved phaseplugs, there is no reason to suffer with 1" anymore if building from scratch.

And it's possible to leave out the slots since the pattern / response is plenty on these too. Of course being able to sterilize a teenage bat with 25K is still fun...

And if any of you Xover experts want to weigh in on this I'd like to hear suggestions for the passive for these 2 configurations

sub

Lets plan this right in all aspects

Guys

Let’s try and arrive at a design and work out the budget ASAP.

We could elect someone who uses PayPal to collect and distribute the funds.

In fact let’s setup a committee to get this underway. If I may suggest, the committee should consist of:

1: Accounting
    2: Design
    3: Acquisition
    4: Construction & Testing
    5: Delivery and Presentation Event Planning

Once we decide on the design, the components could be acquired through donations or ebay etc.

I live close to Orange County Speaker Repair and would be happy to arrange repairs etc to any components that may require it. This could save on shipping costs?

If planned right, the delivery of the finished system could be a great event.

Thoughts?

Ken

O.K ,So a pair of 2225 frames reconed with C8R2235 kits will do the chore for the low freq?If so,lemmie know and I"ll cover that.Oldmics

I could chip in the 5234A with proper 4345 cards should the electronics go in that direction.

sub

I have one request to make this project of value to as many people as possible. I'd love to develop a essay for the site showing the development of a project speaker from start to end. The more documentation the better - starting with an original project definition along with the rationalle, evolution through design and construction (particularly focussing on how unforseen problems were dealt with) and ending with the finished system. This implies a comprehensive photo history from start to end that I think would be of interest to many readers.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Sounds like a great project 43XX wow, and Don has a nice listening room.

Pity my visit is not a little earlier, I would love to party.

Groovy baby, as Austin Power often says.

Count me in for any assistance, and I would be delighted to assist with a hi end active crossover if the project goes in that direction...nothing but the best.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Mackenzie; 11-25-2003 at 01:12 AM.

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    oooooh!!! I have absolutely no complaints about the direction Tom indicated and that Subwoof has followed up. How could I?

I really like the 434X concept with a midbass driver to keep the horn cross-over up higher. I always thought the lower cross-over points on JBL compression drivers led to honkiness. The concept of biamping is also attractive and I can get the amps necessary for this along with an electronic x-over.
    I agree that the 434X is a great starting point. To further reduce said honkiness, I would suggest the following: Using 4344 components and crossovers bi-amped or not and substituting a pair of 2441s and those wood horns that showed up in the Market Place a while back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gee - I have (4) JBL 2397 horns I rescued from a sound company that have been partially restored. I rebuilt the throat mounting flanges with solid oak and 3 ply 1/8"birch using gorilla glue.

They are still unfinished and would be a good starting place for the 4344 design project....??

The front lips were routed down and I haven't installed the solid wood trim yet.....the throats are included but not pictured.

That horn was always the best sounding 2" but 99% of the cabinets I built had space and longevity issues ( ever put particle board on road use? ) so the flanged horns were preferred.

Any thoughts Mr mold maker?

sub
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by Don McRitchie
    Forgive me if I am overreaching in stating my dream, but it has always been my desire to have a system based around 2235's. Even at moderate volumes, I find that their bass dynamics and extension are unmatched.
    You and that other Canadian nut, Ken Pachalphabet! I recall some sage critique once proffered by a one Giskard, that if you have room for one, the 2245H is an unmatched piece of engineering. Give it one watt, you get 1 watt back. Oh well... The leagues of 2235H fans surely have me outnumbered.

Don't forget: I'm holding those 2405's for you, so consider the top-end "covered".

Now, if your desires might take you down the 4345 Path of Unlimited Devotion, I'd be pleased to host The Widget for a measuring party - we could lay one of the badboys on his back and make sure we take meaningful measurements in reproducable manner. I know Ian's close-as-close-can-get, but think even he would welcome putting a caliper in a place or two...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

[color=royal blue]I almost forgot!!

WE GOT THE JBL BLUE PAINT, TOO!!

I'm good for as many quarts as you need!

Whoo-whoo!!! [/color]

Now, about your Will...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

TimG
    I think the 4-way biamped system is the way to go. Remember, JBL Pro still has some 2123Js available from the tent sale. It looks like 2235H woofers and 2405H super tweeters have already been donated.

Do people think a modern, vertical version of the 4355 would be too big? It could incorporate (2) 2235H, 2020H, 2405H, and 2441, 2445, or 2450 on a wood horn or a 2451 on a 2332 horn.

I can't donate money right now because my wife was just laid off, but I can donate some time. I have two crossover design CAD programs (LspCAD and SoundEasy 7.0) so I can help with either an active or passive design. My new program even allows me to listen to simulated crossovers before I build them. I also have several of the mentioned drivers on hand, or on the way, to help with protoyping (2245H, 2234H, 2020H, 2380A, 2445J). I have the tools to build prototype cabinets as well if people could donate some money for prototype wood.

I can do the accounting (and also the acquisition, if needed). I have an established Paypal business account I used for the Midwest Audiofest for the last two years.
    My email for Paypal is [email protected]

Now, who will be on the other teams??
    1: Accounting
    Mike Baker and????

2: Design

3: Acquisition

4: Construction & Testing

5: Delivery and Presentation Event Planning

BTW, the 2245 idea is kinda cool. Harder to procure, perhaps?

Thread Information