Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The McRitchie Project speaker....

MMMMMMM , Molsoms

While I am game, there is a slight problem. We haven't yet been invited.

SURPRISE

Don's response

Rob

PARTY IN WINNIPEG

Cool i am in the peg as we speak!!!

PARTY IN WINNIPEG

Cool i am in the peg as we speak!!!

The proposed project is a fine idea, and will correct a wrong that has existed for too long!

I propose that we name the project the Save A McRitchie Foundation. My JBL inventory is a bit low at the moment, but do have the following components available for possible donation to the cause: pair D123s, pair H91 horns; pair 2420 bodies (need diaphragms). I may be able to scare up a pair of D130s as well.

We need to hear from Don, and we need to keep this thread rolling!!!
    MBB

Tom Loizeaux

Cool Idea!

Shoot, anybody can buy "off-the-shelf" JBL speakers, we need to custom design a pair for Don that speaks to our extreme perspectives!
    Let's see what he can accomodate.

Tom

You're spot on, Tom!

Well I've got a cabinet shop that's equal to norm's on "this old house" and lots of 12 and 15" alnico 22XX baskets...my speciality was building variants of the 4530 basshorn with hardwood plywood. I once made some for a theater that had an integral 12" horn loaded mid and 2390 lens. It sounded so nice they were stolen within a month... Perhaps a corner ( aka "C" ) version and using the 1.5" 2450SL with the 2352 mid-size bi radial?

Simple 2 way and ALL horn loaded yet has a somewhat negotiable spousal acceptance factor..?

sub

ps- it's molson ( with an "n" ) and only chilled export ale and bradours accepted... I'll bring the local 8.5% belguim ale to compare.....HIC

More good options! We gotta get Don to give us a bit of direction here.

Tom Loizeaux
    It is too early for any conclusions about how to approach this "Speakers for Don" project, but I do have a suggestion.
    Because we have a broad range and of experience, information, and talents here, coming to a consensus and sharing on a project like this is goining to be a big challange. To make this doable, I have the following suggestions:

Settle on a design that is JBL Pro quality, yet very agreeable in terms of decor and simplicity. I think a great example of this is the GS 11 speaker kit from Gold Sound. Check it out at www.goldsound.net. The GS 11 kit includes a pair of JBL 2235Hs, 2118Hs, 2404Hs, crossovers and cabinet building instructions.
    Because of the expertise of some of our Forum members, I think we could find someone to agree to build these cabinets, someone else to build the passive crossovers (@ 300 & 5K), and maybe have others contribute these drivers, or money to fund the purchase of them and cover the other costs. I think Gold Sound would cooperate with us, and maybe give us a price break on this, if we explained what we're trying to do. Though I haven't heard these actual speaker units, I feel they present some of JBL's "finest" in a very compact (18x17x44")(small footprint at least) speaker design that would please most of us...and most importantly, Don!
    Check this out and let's hear what you guys think.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Loizeaux; 11-22-2003 at 09:45 AM.

Jeeze. I go away for 6 weeks, and look what happens. Rob pretty much has my reaction down pat

I am truly speechless guys. Thank you very much for considering this gesture, and I won't pretend I'm not interested. The JBLpro speakers in my Compaq laptop just aren't cutting it anymore (it actually does say JBLpro on the laptop case, but damned if I can find where those 2226's are hiding)

If it helps, I can give you some background on my listening environment. I live in a loft conversion of a 100 year old warehouse. I have brick walls all around, so that side to side, I'm pretty isolated, but between floors is a different matter. Therefore, high output is not required and would be a problem. The combined living room and dining room is around 15' X 30' with a 12' ceiling. You can see a picture of the interior with my SAE speakers here:

http://www.audiocircuit.com/9041-esl...IC-MarkXIV.htm

Forgive me if I am overreaching in stating my dream, but it has always been my desire to have a system based around 2235's. Even at moderate volumes, I find that their bass dynamics and extension are unmatched. Nonetheless, I'd be open to any suggestions.

Certainly you're welcome to party in Winnipeg. I would suggest waiting a bit for warmer temps. This past evening it was -24 degrees C.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Say no more.

Ok guys, let's get on it! We've got to get ready to party in the Peg this summer!

Okay, so what say you all about the 2235 foundation? Anyone have any baskets?? Two way? Three way?? I'm thinking three way. Tom, Robert, Widget, et al???

Thread Information