Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The McRitchie Project speaker....

The McRitchie Project speaker....

Seeing some of the really great threads lately has gotten me to thinking; if you recollect, our esteemed webmaster isn't listening to JBL's himself at this point, other than perhaps his computer speakers!
    Let's dream up a reasonable speaker for him, debate the various components and crossovers. In addition, I'm thinking that between us, we inventory our stock and see if we can't come up with all the drivers and parts to donate, after seeing who has what components.
    We "design" online in the thread, pick out the box design and driver complement etc., and then choose someone to build it (chip in to cover cabinet materials expense). Everyone ships him their components or dough, or perhaps the box builder ships the cabs on to someone else for the final install/testing!!??
    Then we ship this baby to Don to enjoy, and as thanks for helping disseminate lots of good info. Whaddaya think, guys?
    Two way, three way, four way?? 4430 type? Something using the 2123J's still on the website? Horns, no horns???
    Scour the closets, it could be fun!
    Any interest??

Thumbs up A very cool idea...

...and very ambitious. Needs a protagonist - Mike, you're it!

I've got a pair of 2405's that'd nicely top a four-way. But then, I think Don needs to go LARGE, just like this Forum is to us!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

NOT LISTENING TO JBLs !!!!!!!!!!! HERESY. First is to find out everything about the room availiable to place speakers in. Are we building a cavernous horn system for all of Canada to hear or a bookshelf system? Also aesthetics, is a W.A.F. situation involved or is the utilitarian theater look acceptable?Educate us on the room for sonic demands first and then whatever visuals are desired go from there.Oldmics
    Last edited by Oldmics; 11-12-2003 at 09:16 AM.

I'm thinking of something reasonably shippable; dimensions and weight that don't get too out of hand. Maybe around 100 lbs piece or lower??

I don't know that I have anything worthwhile for the project, but if someone has something that they don't want to just give away, but would sell reasonably, I would buy it to donate it.

TimG
    I will help with measurements and crossover design in a few months but I'm going to be really busy with work until the end of the year, starting next week. I will have 2 complete measurement systems and 2 crossover CAD programs once I upgrade to the latest version of Soundeasy. The new system will allow me to audition digitial simulations of passive networks before building them.

Originally posted by mikebake
    I'm thinking of something reasonably shippable; dimensions and weight that don't get too out of hand. Maybe around 100 lbs piece or lower??
    I know he once, here, waxed-on about his appreciation of the 4310 - but that may be more as a vintage enthusiast, than L/T listening enjoyment, per se.

From Giskard's commentary, the Ti series should be given serious consideration...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Cool! Time shouldn't be a huge issue; I see this thing taking a bit of time to sort it all out and get rolling!!

TimG
    If that is the size speaker he wants then we could raise donations and get him a pair of L80ti or L100ti from ebay. They might need some refinishing but there are people here who can do that too.

Don't know if you can use them, but I've got a set of Altec 811 horns in the garage you can have for free.

Great Idea

Count me in.

Nothing wrong with buying something, but I was thinking we could come up with something a bit cooler and more fun, and probably more bang for the buck. Build something using the best thinking/ideas off the forum members............more fun that way, too. So, what is lurking out there for components? Some baskets, maybe?

I would suggest it should be a "Lansing" project incorporating both Altec and JBL components.

I agree with Oldmics, that a discussion with the "client" is in order to find out if he has the room for a pair of large horn fully horn loaded speakers going down to 30Hz with the requisite 100+ sq foot mouth or even some JBL/Altec Model 19 hybrids.

Shipping won't be a problem because we will do a road trip from Audiobeer's place (who else should finish these babies).

Now you're talkin'. I like your thinking.

I smell a party brewing in Winnipeg!

Lets a bunch of us meet next summer in Winnipeg to deliver these babies to the big guy. Could be a fun time?

Thoughts?

Ken

Thread Information