Thread: 406-8Y---406-8C whats the diff?

406-8Y---406-8C whats the diff?

What is the difference, if any, between these two drivers, Altec 406-8Y and Altec 406-8C

Thanks

Hi,

- I believe the 8C is functionally the same speaker as the 8Y with only a cosmetic difference in appearance ( the 8Y lacks the magnet cover ) . Both of these models are reported to have 3" voice coils / but I can't confirm that ( if you really want to confirm this "rumour" to fact, perhaps you can email a current eBay seller who presently has a pair of 406-8C, that need reconing.)
    - Altec typically used underhung voice coils. If that's also the case with this speaker and if it is a 3" voice coil then it's possible that this Altec model is comparable to JBLs' 2122 in functional performance ( if Altec wound enough wire into the voice-coil to create a fairly high BL figure ) . I know, that's a lot of "if(s)" .

- The older 10" model 406-Y seems to have used a smaller voice coil ( judging by the size of the dust-caps that I've seen ) .

Edit : These pics seem to indicate that the voice-coil is around 2.5" in diameter for a 406-8C / though it's hard to tell from a picture .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thread Information