Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ElectroVoice T35 - anyone familiar with them?

What's your point Zilch?

Seems that AudioXpress' vetting process is suspect here. Based on my recent actual measurements of excellent condition T35s and your post of EV's original specification plot, the little T35 isn't nearly as bad as some thought. That published plot in AudioXpress is either of a T35B or a damaged or defective T35, T35A.

Seems to me this is another case of believe your ears and not your eyes when it comes to every graph you see. Don't put too much faith in those plots... even if they are published in a magazine.

As for my condemnation of the lowly T35, my post was made while I was listening to TAD's ET-703s. Unfortunately in that comparison, every JBL tweeter with the exception of the JBL "Bat Slayer" also comes up short...

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    What's your point Zilch?
    No point, particularly; the thread's about T-35s, and I'm just consolidating info about them here as I stumble across more....

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    No point, particularly; the thread's about T-35s, and I'm just consolidating info about them here as I stumble across more....
    You're silly.

I think we've pretty well beaten the subject to death.

Widget

Mr. Widget, the similarity of your measurements to the old published curve is indeed remarkable and fascinating; thanks.

Good information about EV tweeters, T-35, T-35B , T-350 T-35A

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/...8/1117781.aspx

Maron Horonzakz
    Actually that AudioExpress Plot of the T35 Was sourced frome me for Warrens article,, One of four,, And was tested and plot made at the St Louis Instatute for the deaf,,, In there Anachoic chamber.. useing a calibrated mic,. And is typical of that tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    Actually that AudioExpress Plot of the T35 Was sourced frome me for Warrens article...
    As I said, they didn't do a good job of fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz View Post
    And is typical of that tweeter.
    But seriously... how are you determining that it is typical of a properly working T35? I have measured a number of T35s, T35As, Klipsch K-77s and the later EV T35As with ceramic magnets and they vary from unit to unit in HF extension by a fair amount. The plot published in AudioExpress is worse than any I have measured.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    Widget,,When i was young and in my prime... And talking to Paul Klipsch,, The supply of T35 s coming from Electro voice,,, Each was measured for a match to a close tolerence for the Khorns in a stereo pair,,, 30 percent were returned to EV,,as not meeting pauls tests & requirements,, George ashworth,, The scientist helping paul in the early problems of woofer complience,, was trying to get Paul to find a different source of tweeters,,, Paul stated he was getting them so cheap it was worth his time to test them all and return the rest. Later Paul bought the dies and machinery from EV,, Later all this was moved to the Pacific Rim,, Phenaulic diaphrams/voice coils were manufactured with sloppy tolerence in thickness and weight.. Frequency responce was all over the place,,, I have here diaphrams (12) no two match... Over the last three years they have gotten better. I,m sure you found some good T35s,,So did I,, But Bob Crites found the Emmenence APT-50 to be a better tweeter,, and had a copy of the EV T35 tweeter horn made to integrate to the HF driver,,, and now,, the super tweeter is good to 20K.

I didn't like the T35

At this point in my life my hearing doesn't go much beyond 14khz, but when I was young it went beyond 20khz. At that time in my life I heard some T35s, they sounded shrill to me when compared to JBLs.

T35 reputation in the '60s and '70s compare to 075

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Zilch's image posted below... this post taken from Storm's Altec +EV thread.

Below that I have posted a plot of three T-35s. The blue and green T-35s were taken from my Klipsch Belle clones and have been babied their whole lives so I'd suggest their response is likely as new... the red plot is from a K-horn... I have no idea how hard it may have been driven.

I'd say that for a bunch of vintage drivers these are following their original specified curve better than most that we see here and for the record, I'd say these are not the terrible tweeters that Maron and Zilch seem to think they are. I guarantee they produce higher frequencies than many here can actually hear.

Widget
    The EV T35, and especially the K 77 (because of Klipsch's testing and selection procedures), had a good rep, better than the JBL 075, among the dealers and engineers in the S.F. Bay Area (Berkeley Custom, Pro Audio, etc.) in the '60s and '70s. Their stores all carried both the K77 (in various Klipsch speakers) and the 075. In one case, I found my then young ears could hear a 16 K Hz tone from behind a Klipsch Cornwall (which used a K 77).

The curve Berkeley Custom Electronics ran looked a lot like the red curve in Mr. Widget's post. Widespread opinion was that the K 77 was smoother sounding than the 075.

As to the subjective nature of the sound, EV T35s and JBL 075s were both often turned up too far in demos. This certainly made both the EVs and JBLs sound too bright or, worse, "shrill." I believe (if memory serves) that all of the EV speaker systems (including the "building block" kits) had a "brilliance" control for the tweeters; the JBL networks had a balance control on the crossovers used with the 075, as well. Paul Klipsch never allowed one on his speakers, precisely because for this maladjustment reason. On the Klipsch factory anechoic of the Klipschorn I saw, the tweeter response was in a straight "average" line with the response of the midrange.

Thread Information