Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ElectroVoice T35 - anyone familiar with them?

The EV tweeters I've heard have sounded much like other phenolic+linen diaphragm tweeters, which is to say very good indeed. The University horn tweeter and the Jensen RP-302 have similar diaphragms. As a class these tend to sound better to me than metal diaphragm tweeters- very accurate, clean and pure sounding, without metallic colorations. I think it is the self damping nature of the diaphragm material that is responsible for this. These tweeters are becoming more sought after and pricey all the time, especially the Jensens.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    These tweeters are becoming more sought after and pricey all the time, especially the Jensens.
    I think that is the influence of collectors and not people seeking sonic excellence. I agree that these phenolic tweeters are not harsh and biting... well they can be, but typically aren't... but they don't have the detail, air, and extension that many of the finest contemporary tweeters have.

Physically the 045Be and T35A are similar looking... the new Beryllium JBL is significantly better in my opinion.

Widget

All good points Mr. Widget, except that collectors rarely go after speakers with poor sound. Part of the popularity of the RP-302 is no doubt because it was used in the G-610 Triaxial.

My hearing only extends to about 14kHz. these days, so a device that makes it that high without breaking up sounds very good to me. It is the tizzy-sounding breakups of many metal diaphragms that sound disagreeable to me. Take titanium- please!

Beryllium is surely a fine choice for a tweeter diaphragm. On our last Lansing Heritage tour, Doug Button showed us an FEA animation of a large format beryllium driver diaphragm. It was still showing clean pistonic motion at 14kHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell
    All good points Mr. Widget, except that collectors rarely go after speakers with poor sound.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. Of course what sounds good to one person and not to another is purely subjective, but I can think of countless examples of cool looking and valuable older speakers that most of us realize sound like the antique squawkers they are.

Widget

My collection is comprised in large part of perfectly dreadful-sounding JBL vintage gear.

[Perhaps I'm just incompetent.... ]

I tend to agree with Steve but The Widget raises an interesting point.

In comparisons the damped titanium is much preferred. Unfortunately pistonic behaviour from a rigid material and good self damping do not necessarily go hand in hand.

The fabric/resin impregnated diaphragms have no doubt good self damping qualities..but not the rigidity of the metal counterparts. This however may be less important are mid frequencies than very high frequencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that point. Of course what sounds good to one person and not to another is purely subjective, but I can think of countless examples of cool looking and valuable older speakers that most of us realize sound like the antique squawkers they are.

I think that is the influence of collectors and not people seeking sonic excellence. I agree that these phenolic tweeters are not harsh and biting... well they can be, but typically aren't... but they don't have the detail, air, and extension that many of the finest contemporary tweeters have.

Widget
    Perhaps this should become known as The Wigdety Theory!

Hmm.. soo many experts spending time on them..

For sure they make nice showcase pieces too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio
    For sure they make nice showcase pieces too.
    Yes... the chrome versions are very pretty... I still have a pair myself.

Widget

Look better than they sound?

I had the black/white and green ones(Heathkit).

Only pair left are just for the cool look factor in a inexpensive speaker system.

I did compare them to my 2402 bullets and while the bullet only goes a little bit higher in response, it had much more going for it than a higher output than the T35's.

Nice vintage with history though just like the 075's, they are more collectors items than desirable for audio!

Ron

adorat
    Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s View Post
    I have always liked the sound of the T-35 it is very different than the sound of a JBL tweeter. In the wrong situation though the T-35 can become a little annoying. I do find it less tiring on the ears than a lot of other tweets. the T-350 is in my opinion the best "horn" tweeter on the planet. Thats just my opinion. Now if I could only afford a pair lol
    I have owned a pair of T 35s for 25 years and wonder how much they might be worth today. They are in excellent condition. Any estimate for the pair? I'd appreciate your help, since I want to sell them.

clmrt
    Interesting that Klipsch uses them "landscape" while EV states they operate on the diffraction principle, and are therefore to be used "portrait".

I have read several comments over the years about Klipsch's incorrect orientation of the tweeter.

Maron Horonzakz
    THe diffraction is 120 degrees in verticle position on the T35.....But if I take my Smith horn and rotate 90 degrees I get the same thing...But look at the new JBL Array the large section of the horn is also in the verticle position but the tiny tweeter on the upper lip is rotated to horizontal position.....Go figure.

I could be wrong, but when I saw the Dead at Kezar in about '73 thew had a second set of speakers about the 50 yard line that appeared to have more T35's than I had ever seen in my life up to that point. I was selling T35's and T350's at the time so I should have been able to tell them apart, however I couldn't get real close and there were other circumstances that could have altered my perception. Anyway the T35 is probably better than anything anywhere near it's price unless you are one of the people that it just annoys the hell out of.

Thread Information