Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ElectroVoice T35 - anyone familiar with them?

ElectroVoice T35 - anyone familiar with them?

Went to a turning shop yesterday, to get some screwed up windings in 2307 horns renewed. The owner recognized the horns, he did the boring/tapping himself, and we had a nice little smalltalk about loudspeakers in the meantime. While I paid a little fee, he pulled 2 pairs of very dusty speakers somewhere out of the bottom drawer in a corner, admitting he used to build speakers himself, decades ago. These were from an unfinished project, I got them as a gift – "better than throwing away, have fun with them.."

So, anyone familiar with EV, and these tweeters? I'm not. 8 ohms, they looked a bit like Klipschhorn tweeters (K-77 ??) to me, but those are usually black, not chrome.. OK, EV is wellknown, they build highend speakers too. Seems these could be used as replacement tweeters for Klipschhorns? Are they usable for anything else, and of any mentionable worth? Could do with a bit enlightening.. thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Yes, the EV T35 series is used by Klipsch as the K77 series. They would go in your Klipschorns if the impedance is correct. Diaphragms are readily available. Yours are the earlier Alnico version.

As I recall, the T-35 and K-77 are the same tweeter and were used in the Klipsch Heritage line as well as in early EV's. The T-35 was the EV model number and K-77 were designated for Klipsch. I think those are Alnico's and they later went to a square ceramic magnet. If the diaphragms are good, you could probably get a decent price for them on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangio
    So, anyone familiar with EV, and these tweeters? I'm not. 8 ohms, they looked a bit like Klipschhorn tweeters (K-77 ??) to me, but those are usually black, not chrome..
    EV offered them as OEM versions in all black with a stamped horn I believe, the horn was certainly thinner walled and they had a brass colored magnet cover. This version was available through some speaker vendors and was the version that Klipsch used. EV also offered them as component speakers with nice cast horns that were chrome with matte black interiors like the ones you are showing. They were later updated as the T-35A... I don't know the difference, but they looked identical to the T-35 you are showing. Later they were offered with a rectangular ferrite magnet but still called the T-35A. All of these were available either as the satin black painted OEM version or the more deluxe component version in chrome.

Widget

Maron Horonzakz
    The T35 is not a very good tweeter. Most start taking a dive at about 10K Klipsch would select those that would make it to 15K and send the rest back. I have a pair tested in a anechoic chamber just makes it to 10k I replaced the diaphrams & now get 14k. Diaphrams are inconsistent due to phenolic weight and thickness. The newer T35/ k77 today will get 15k to 17k. This tweeter should have been retired along time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Maron Horonzakz
    The T35 is not a very good tweeter. Most start taking a dive at about 10K ... This tweeter should have been retired along time ago.
    OK, thanks gentlemen for the hints. Thought it might be worth to keep them, could be usable for a yet unborn custom project in future.. So Maron, you suggest I throw them away now?

Checked ebay, not one pair looked the same like the others, seems there are quite a lot versions. One seller in HongKong offered them for 350$. That seemed a bit too optimistic.

Phenolic diaphragms? Couldn't resist to have a look inside.

Checked ebay, not one pair looked the same like the others, seems there are quite a lot versions. One seller in HongKong offered them for 350$. That seemed a bit too optimistic..
    The more common T-35s I've seen are much narrower than yours. The one you showed which clearly states T-35 looks like the T-35As... As far as I know there are only four versions. The Narrow T-35, the later T-35 that you have, the T-35A which looks identical, and then the ferrite T-35A. These in turn are all available in the OEM and component versions.

There is another model called the T-350... it is vastly superior. It looks similar and uses the same diaphragm, but has a much larger magnet and larger horn.

Phenolic diaphragms? Couldn't resist to have a look inside.
    Did you break the voice coil leads? It doesn't appear that your opened tweeter will work now.

Widget

Very impressing, Mr. Widget. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Did you break the voice coil leads? It doesn't appear that your opened tweeter will work now.
    There came no cheep at all out of them, when connected to an amp. Also I couldn't measure any DCR before I opened one. There were no leads to break, looked like been opened before.

There are for sure EV fans who have better use for spares of these. Seems the best I put them on the bay, and declare them as not functionally.

Maron Horonzakz
    Theres a guy on the Klipsch forum Bob Crites who is very good at restoring them & can make them functional again.

I don't feel good in selling not working stuff.

Edgewounds very illuminating 'Electro-Voice History link' inspired me to treat these with more respect. Had that well done here too, and could watch the repair - quite professional, it's a tricky procedure to open/close them. We tried them out, pretty clear and musically - I'd say alnico sound and fortunately no obvious 'dive' audible.

But still no use for them, as I got 2405s recently. Back on the bay.

pelly3s
    I have always liked the sound of the T-35 it is very different than the sound of a JBL tweeter. In the wrong situation though the T-35 can become a little annoying. I do find it less tiring on the ears than a lot of other tweets. the T-350 is in my opinion the best "horn" tweeter on the planet. Thats just my opinion. Now if I could only afford a pair lol

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    ... the T-350 is in my opinion the best "horn" tweeter on the planet. Thats just my opinion. Now if I could only afford a pair lol
    I like them too, but I can think of an even better one.... but they cost even more.

Widget

Never heard a T-350

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    I have always liked the sound of the T-35 it is very different than the sound of a JBL tweeter. In the wrong situation though the T-35 can become a little annoying. I do find it less tiring on the ears than a lot of other tweets. the T-350 is in my opinion the best "horn" tweeter on the planet. Thats just my opinion. Now if I could only afford a pair lol
    I do have a pair of TW35's, they are like smaller versions of the same thing? This pair makes it to about 17.5K after replacing the phenolic with aluminum domes from some (unknown) Pioneer speakers. The domes came from a parts kit that included the domes and coils for 15" speakers. Unfortunately, the cones were what the woofs needed, and I still have no idea what the tweets looked like, but the voice coils on the domes were a perfect fit in the little EV's...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Someone asked me: .. very nice, but do they play identic loud????

Serious (and also funny ) answer suggestions are welcome. Since these can stand only 5 watt or so, I don't like the idea of A/B'ing them here at home with my amp, w/o the protection of a xover which we had at the shop..

Couldn't one assume already from the DCR, that they are close together?

Couldn't one assume already from the DCR, that they are close together?
    No. Their response and sensitivity will be affected by the condition of the VC, diaphragm, and motor and also the how well centered the diaphragms are...

Widget

Thread Information