Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bridged Perreaux Amp question.

Quote Originally Posted by hapy._.face
    Perreaux= nice amp!

I just read this thread, and I didn't see any mention of the one HUGE benefit to bridging: headroom. True, you may not get more net output (the amp's overall THD will be multiplied..) but at low to moderate volume levels- the performance will (should) be improved. An increase in headroom can make a moderate system a wonderful system- instantly!
    What about the phase shifts? Headroom is what my initial goal was.
    JBL S3100, VPI HM19 MKIV w/SAMA, Moerch UP4 ,Hana ML cart, Blackdog VTP , Audio Note M2 line stage, Perreaux PMF 1850.

Anyway.. so here is an update. I have been running the 2 Perreaux's quasi bi-amped vertically. In other words one channel mono, split separately into the bass and treble of one speaker in front of the x'over. I must say I really do like what I hear. Better separation, sound staging and bass control. The sound stage now is more square behind the speakers into the corners where as before it was kind of rounded. That might not mean much to most and maybe shouldn't but I really do like that effect ! I am loathe to try the bridged mode but eventually I guess I will just to see. Will wait a few weeks though to become accustomed to this sound first. Will let you know when I do.

Bernard

Not exactly sure what you are describing, but good is good... my feeling from personal experience and from others anecdotally is that bridging a stereo amp will virtually never be an improvement, if sonics is the goal... it can be useful if you need to squeak a couple of extra dB out of a system though.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget
    Not exactly sure what you are describing,
    Widget
    Ya, I thought that might sound a bit garbled ... Ok, here goes again. I have the signal from the right outputs - I have 2 sets of outputs - of the pre-amp running into the right amp and then from that amp one chanel going to the treble and one to the bass of the right speaker. Ditto for the other channel. What I am doing is feeding each amp a mono signal.This is what MRBluster had suggested. So what I have in effect - I think - is two mono amps (kind of) with one power supply for each speaker. With a 96db efficient speaker extra db's and headroom are not much of an issue.

Bernard

mrbluster
    Bernard,

I agree with Widget, I think you have the optimum configuration for the two Perreaux amps you are using. Skip the bridge mode test. It is unlikely to improve upon your current setup. "Sounds" like what you have now is quite excellent!

Thread Information