Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Walnut H9800

Sadly, I'm still waiting for my other woofer. Nothing new to report yet. Hopefully another LE14H-3 will become available in the next couple weeks.

Giskard, when you aqualplas the diaphrams, do you wait till you have a bunch in house then do them all at once, or just spray them as they come in and time allows? I'd like a pair coated but don't want to be without them for too long.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by John W View Post
    Sadly, I'm still waiting for my other woofer. Nothing new to report yet. Hopefully another LE14H-3 will become available in the next couple weeks.

Giskard, when you aqualplas the diaphrams, do you wait till you have a bunch in house then do them all at once, or just spray them as they come in and time allows? I'd like a pair coated but don't want to be without them for too long.
    Sorry about the LE14H-3. These are spare parts and it can take awhile. Notice how your LE14H-3's were packed? Neato eh?
    I have a bunch that I am doing later this week. I would like to get them all repacked for shipping next Monday.

The packaging is inadequate at best, and is a cause for concern. It wouldn’t take a lot of dropping to bust one of these woofers to bits. I’m guessing that’s what happened to the last one. Someone handled it too rough, could hear it bust , heard the pieces rattle around, then conveniently “lost” it rather than pass it along.

Mr. Widget's H9800 clone (red) compared to factory original (green).

2435HPL #20 on Timbers "Key" filter plus parallel trap as specified, 1 kHz active highpass.

2 dB/division, bottom.

I'm done tweakin' these....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

RIP 2009
    Aw, c'mon, Zilch - can't ya' do better than +/- 1dB up to 15K...

'Lookin' good!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    Mr. Widget's H9800 clone (red) compared to factory original (green).

2435HPL #20 on Timbers "Key" filter plus parallel trap as specified, 1 kHz active highpass.

2 dB/division, bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec View Post
    Aw, c'mon, Zilch - can't ya' do better than +/- 1dB up to 15K...
    SCREW it, John. Last half-octave's down 3 dB.

[Now I gotta find a matching driver here to play them STEREO.... ]

Finally my other LE14H-3 arrived. I'm listening now in Stereo

Zilch, I'm still not clear on the exact network you are using to get that nice flat response. When I implemented it like the drawing in #70 it did exactly the opposite of what I wanted. I don't think I messed up the wiring?
    Here is the result.

I backed that out and lowered the capacitance of the last part, near the HF port, and brought it back to this:

#70 is wrong. There's a duplicate parallel trap to common that doesn't belong there. Take that out, the 0.1 mH in parallel with 4.3 uF (8.2 uF + 9.1 uF). I don't know where it came from; I never posted that, I don't believe.

Look at #71, the version I worked up for PT waveguides....

Edit: Here's what I'm running to generate the curves in #79. The original series notch [1.6 mH, 5 uF (10uF + 10 uF), 5 Ohms] is included because H9800 and Widget's clone require it. Your horn may not. PT waveguides do not. Giskard illustrated what it does earlier.

If you find that works better, I've drawn up a fully biased version, also, bottom. 6.8 uF + 10 uF = 4.05 uF.

We're very close to achieving the same performance now....

Thanks for your help Zilch.
    My crossover is the same as the charged coupled version, except: C5 and C6 are currently 6.3uf and 6.3uf, and I don't have the notch [1.6 mH, 5 uF (10uF + 10 uF), 5 Ohms]. What does this section do?

Probably easier for me to measure it than to find Giskard's post.

It operates down at 1.8 kHz.

You can clearly see what my final parallel notch (in series with the driver) is doing, as well.

See also: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...4&postcount=69

Suggestion: Turn off your LF when doing these tweaks.

Obsolete
    Finally my other LE14H-3 arrived. I'm listening now in Stereo
    That's a plus!

Let's get a post on your impressions of the pair?
    I backed that out and lowered the capacitance of the last part, near the HF port, and brought it back to this:
    Pretty neato how all that stuff works huh?

What is your impression of the difference in how it all sounds though?

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    You're welcome for the direction and for the help. The real kicker is that they sound good and you just don't get that kind of information from your curves.

For those who have perfect hearing to 20 kHz and beyond the 045 can be added in on the top for additional ambience.

Now that you're done tweaking these get a pair of Mr. Widget's 1.5" horns to play with. I think they're TAD's but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    Now that you're done tweaking these get a pair of Mr. Widget's 1.5" horns to play with. I think they're TAD's but I could be wrong.
    It's clear from my measurements above that his H9800 horn is nearly identical to the original in performance. I believe it is a TAD design he's working with more recently, and there's response curves posted in one of the threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
    You're welcome for the direction and for the help. The real kicker is that they sound good and you just don't get that kind of information from your curves.
    Thank you, of course, Giskard, many times over!

Interestingly, there's a discernible difference in sonic character between the two, I suspect attributable to the different resonance characteristics of the materials. :dont-know

Thanks for your help Zilch.
    My crossover is the same as the charged coupled version, except: C5 and C6 are currently 6.3uf and 6.3uf, and I don't have the notch [1.6 mH, 5 uF (10uF + 10 uF), 5 Ohms]. What does this section do?
    From your curves, it doesn't look like you need that additional notch at 1.8 kHz to me.

Put the series leg of an L-Pad in place of R8, and you'll be able to see the realm of influence of the parallel trap as you dial it up and down. It looks like you need less resistance there to reduce its Q. L and C establish the frequencies between which the notch is generated....

Thread Information