PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else having problems?

JBL Dog
02-26-2006, 06:19 PM
I've been having diffucultly using the forum lately. I have been able to post jpeg files, add smileys to text or use any of the editing functions.Anyone else having problems? According to the posting rules in my profile, I should be able to do all of the following:You may post new threadsYou may post repliesYou may post attachmentsYou may edit your postsvB code is OnSmilies are On[IMG] code is OnHTML code is OffIt's not allowing "smiles" of "posting attachments".Puzzled

JBL Dog
02-26-2006, 06:20 PM
I've been having diffucultly using the forum lately. I have been able to post jpeg files, add smileys to text or use any of the editing functions.Anyone else having problems? According to the posting rules in my profile, I should be able to do all of the following:You may post new threadsYou may post repliesYou may post attachmentsYou may edit your postsvB code is OnSmilies are On[IMG] code is OnHTML code is OffIt's not allowing "smiles" of "posting attachments".Puzzled
I guess I have to do HTML for a new paragraph now!

norealtalent
02-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I'm having trouble with the mouse controlled cut and paste although I can do it manually with the tool bar. I have not been able to get a picture up though. What I know about a computer you can put in a thimble and have plenty of space left over. At least till I smash it with the hammer...:D

Titanium Dome
02-26-2006, 06:46 PM
I've had a few problems, but they seem to have resolved for the most part. For a while the smilies wouldn't work, but now they do. Occasionally a page won't load completely, but that's happening less often.

Once today I was taken to a thread listing page from 2004 for some reason. It was a blast from the past, for sure, but I couldn't get to today's page until I reloaded the browser.

Growing pains, I guess.

Mr. Widget
02-26-2006, 08:20 PM
I think the types of problems and the amount of them have to do with the way the forum works with your specific browser and operating system. I know almost as much as Mr. Talent when it comes to computers, but I have noticed that the forum behaves quite differently on a Mac running IE or Netscape and different still on XP running their versions of the same browsers.

I usually use Netscape on XP and have had problems while editing my posts. Netscape frequently locks up. I think it is safe to assume that the new version of vBulletin is fairly buggy.

Widget

johnaec
02-26-2006, 08:23 PM
I've been using Internet Explorer 6 on both Windows 2000 and Windows XP with absolutely no problems at all, at least in the last couple months. :o: 'All the latest service packs and patches, and that's from at least 7 or 8 different computers, depending on where I am at the time...

John

Mr. Widget
02-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Hi John,

All of the problems I've had have been since Don upgraded the software the other day. I really don't like using IE, but I am sure that the folks at vBulletin are designing primarily for IE just like everyone else does... including the hackers and spammers.:)

Widget

JBLnsince1959
02-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm having no problems and I'm using an old IE version 5 with window 98 version 2 with no patches or upgrades..

Stay away the the new stuff and only use the old....( that's a programmers trick);)

JBL Dog
02-26-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm having no problems and I'm using an old IE version 5 with window 98 version 2 with no patches or upgrades..

Stay away the the new stuff and only use the old....( that's a programmers trick);)

:applaud:

I'll be darned, everything works on internet explorer!

Thanks for the tip, Widget!

hjames
02-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Works great for me ...
At work, windows 2000 with Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.1
At home Mac OS X 10.4.5 w Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.1

I don't use IE, except to check out our own sites (Gov't web design team),
never on non-US Gov't sites ...

Heather

JBLnsince1959
02-27-2006, 07:20 AM
:applaud:

I'll be darned, everything works on internet explorer!

IE is not the best however( MircoSoft is never the best product as far as performance)..... personally I do so little on the web ( here and ebay audiogon, lincolns etc) that IE meets my needs and it works ( I'm a more functional kinda guy)

JuniorJBL
02-27-2006, 08:45 AM
As hjames said you could try this: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

It really depends on whos web page you go to what plugins you need and so on. :)

Audiobeer
02-27-2006, 10:46 AM
If your coming in with AOL your screwed. That's been my problem. If I come in through IE on my Broadband account no problems whatsover.

JBLnsince1959
02-27-2006, 12:13 PM
If your coming in with AOL your screwed. That's been my problem. If I come in through IE on my Broadband account no problems whatsover.

If you even HAVE AOL, you're screwed...:biting: AOL is IMHO is the worst thing on the web..

JBL Dog
02-27-2006, 12:13 PM

Ditto

JuniorJBL
02-27-2006, 12:14 PM
If you even HAVE AOL, you're screwed...:biting:

:yes: :rotfl:

Don McRitchie
02-27-2006, 12:22 PM
For what it's worth, I purposely avoid upgrading the forum until a stable version is available. That's why I waited nearly a year to upgrade from V2 to V3.

Previously, the forum was at V3.0.7. Six months ago, V3.50 (a signigicant upgrade) was released. I waited until there were three maintenance releases to ensure that a stable version was available. I had to upgrade to something since we were literally a dozen point releases behind what was current and these point releases contained a number of security patches. By all appearances, the version we are running (3.5.4) was considered stable.

Nonetheless, I am monitoring the situation to determine if there are any persistent bugs and the available solutions.

norealtalent
02-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks Don! We'll muddle through, afterall, we are JBL lovers.:D

mech986
02-27-2006, 01:12 PM
I had a problem for the last week or so coming to the forum and even though I was logged on, sometime during the session it said I wasn't and required me to log back in. Even then, within an hour, I was logged off again.

I access the forum through 5-6 different computers depending on my location and each one of them is configured to accept cookies.

The problem seems to have cleared up once I took each machine through a cookie cache cleaning, logout-login, reboot cycle once or twice. Over the weekend, I have not had any problems with forum operation, seems smoother now.

Oh, one thing, is there any way to enable a hotlink search for daily posts as opposed to new posts since last I was on the forum? AudioKarma runs similar software (I believe) and if you access their forum button at the bottom of each of their pages, it brings you to a forums opening page with new posts and "today's Posts".

see: http://audiokarma.org/ page

Very handy when I want to review the breadth of recent posts or threads I may have been following. I know the traffic here is not as high as AK but it may be helpful for new folks as it keeps them aware of the different threads that are out there.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Regards,

Bart

Don McRitchie
02-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Oh, one thing, is there any way to enable a hotlink search for daily posts as opposed to new posts since last I was on the forum? AudioKarma runs similar software (I believe) and if you access their forum button at the bottom of each of their pages, it brings you to a forums opening page with new posts and "today's Posts".

It's already on the forum. Click the "Quick Links" button on the menu bar at top. The first choice in the drop down box is "Today's Posts."

mech986
02-27-2006, 02:33 PM
D'OH!! :homer: :screwy:

An old dog learns something new everyday! I've got to explore the forum and site a bit more.

Thanks for the tip Don!!

Regards,

Bart

Nightbrace
02-28-2006, 05:00 AM
Have had no problems thus far, IMO AOL blows!