PDA

View Full Version : Lansing? Audio? Off Topic???

Mr. Widget
02-22-2006, 10:14 PM
Am I off base here or are others a bit put off by the breadth of the Off Topic threads? I think it is safe to say that virtually all of us that regularly post have contributed to these threads and posts... I sure have, but the threads about humor or not, gender or not, plans for building dirty bombs and the like, while fine in moderation seem to be growing in proportion to the Lansing or general audio related posts and threads. I have absolutely no problem with Off Topic threads dealing with amplifiers, speaker wires, listening room acoustics, DIY shop tips... even other brands of speakers, but it seems to me that it should at least tangentially relate to Altec, JBLs, and Lansing Heritage in general.

I like pictures of cars and girls as much as the next guy... I personally get distracted by discussing politics (especially with those of different views) more than the next guy (or gal)... but maybe we should try to limit ourselves? I am not suggesting a total ban... not at all. And if you find a photo of a gal (or guy) wearing a bathing suit with a JBL logo on it, you had better post it. (No photoshop exercises please!) I just think that perhaps a few less filler posts might make the site that much more enjoyable for us all.

Widget

Rolf
02-23-2006, 02:01 AM
You got a strong point here Widget. Things must not get out of control.

That said I think it is positive and a lot of fun to write an comment i posts that has nothing to do with JBL/ALTEC.
BUT, it should not be the main reason for any member just to active in the "Off Topic".

As other has pointed out before I believe we never should discuss religion, politics and other sensitive things.

Rolf

JBLnsince1959
02-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Widget:

I will disagree with you 100%, the off topic is about anything, HOWEVER, so we don't get emotional on this I did A list of all the topics showing on the first page...here they are:

1. US Postal Overseas delivery time??????
2. Klipsch Forte II
3. Technics SU-9070
4. CLIO Clinic
5. What are you LISTENING to?!!

6. *Any PC Gamers Here? ( started by Don Ritchie)
7. *Another Marital Joke.
8. *Joke of the day!
9. I need a damm good solid state power amp
10. DENON mc repair,luxman TT pd264??
11. phase tech
12. is that a foam surround or a textile surround ?
13. Nuforce amplifier any experience
14. Help me I am drowning
15. *How many Audiophiles does it take to screw in a light bulb?
16. OK, don't laugh. I'm about to beg here
17. Alpo's dead
18;. *Females here?
19. What's your kind of music?
20. NAMM/CES
21. *A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world;
22. The ultimate CD-player!?
23. Cars with loud speakers may be seized in the city??
24. Solid State vs. Tube Amps

NOW, there are a total of 24 topics...6 of them are "Non Music"
* One was started by the man himself ( Don Ritchie) some time ago ( we won't count that)
* one was a new member wanting to feel comfortable ( we'll not count that one - it started out as business)

that really leaves 4 threads purely Non-Music - that's 16.67 %

And yes, it was more than usual but so what? IF it offended people on the forum then people won't post. The fact that people POSTED on them mean the MEMBERS LIKE IT.

SO Widget I'll say relax and enjoy the ride.
Now I'm going to say something here and I don't mean to offend, it's just an observation..On more than one ocassion if a thread goes off-topic "FOR TOO LONG" you've jumped in and "corrected" it, BUT If you go off topic it's OK.

Widget - it's OK if people have fun here also, The forum is not all about serious stuff, so don't get your panties in a twist....

anyway, I'll say leave it as it is...IF it really gets out of hand then EVERYONE will know it and something will be done about it.

norealtalent
02-23-2006, 06:54 AM
...anyway, I'll say leave it as it is...IF it really gets out of hand then EVERYONE will know it and something will be done about it.

Here, here!:cheers: And I also say thank you for the accurate and concise information provided to quantify the 16.67% reality of the situation.:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: Bravo.

JBLnsince1959
02-23-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm going to go more deeper into this, but ina different direction ( I just lost 20 minutes of work write this same thing)

This forum is really more than just a peice of software that people use to get and share facts. Because at it's heart and soul the "forum" is made up of people, a community of like minded people...and as people we have emotions, needs, egos and feelings. There's a reason that many of us have been coming back here for years now....some on a daily bases and it really has nothing to with "Just the Facts", it's because we have a sort of family, a togetherness that we all share.

And like any family, yes, at times it can get Chaotic..but that's OK as the "forum" ( it's members) will "correct it.

so the humor, jokes, off-topics, the philosophy is the GLUE that really holds us together, because it gives us a chance to EXPRESS ourselves in a world where maybe we can't say it anywhere else...maybe it's the need to express ourselves as Milebake did, or just to tell some stupid jokes whatever, it's needed by us.

I know I work really hard ( difficult to believe I know) so the forum gives me a chance a "blow off steam" with humor while hopefully learning something and also helping others. we all have that need somewhere or we wouldn't be here for long.

and like anything else it will ebb and flow, some days the jokes or self expression will be high and then it will back off, then the factual nature will be high..step back some time and watch the topics over a period of time and see the dymanics of the forum..it's a hoot..watch the waves ( the breathing - in and out) of this incredible, dynamic live force we call the forum.

or to quote "Frankenstein" in the first movie "It's alive..It's alive!!!!!"

JBLnsince1959
02-23-2006, 07:44 AM
Widget, just because I have disagreed with you this time, please don't take it personal..esp.. the "panties in a twist" comment:D

each individual brings with them their own Talents....and you my friend have a really great one... you have a strong sense of duty, what's right and staying on the path.... and it's a talent I have admired for a long time..it's what makes you a "Super Moderator".....

back to work, bye, bye...

Robh3606
02-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Hello Widget

I think your are right on target. That said where I see the problem are in threads in the other Forums. We have grown quite a bit and thats really I think where the issue lies. When the Forums were smaller we would all drop a one liner here or there. With the number of members we have this is becoming a problem. I can't say it's ok for me and not the next 10 guys who decide to do the same. That I think is the crux. We have way too much Off Topic on the Forum as a whole not just in Off Topic. The number of senseless posts are dumbing down the whole forum. I think we need to be more focused on the original post topics, keep the Off Topic in Off Topic. That I think would go a long way to improving the overall quality of the threads in both DIY and Technical not to mention the General Forum as well.

Rob:)

Robh3606
02-23-2006, 08:27 AM
"so the humor, jokes, off-topics, the philosophy is the GLUE that really holds us together, because it gives us a chance to EXPRESS ourselves in a world where maybe we can't say it anywhere else...maybe it's the need to express ourselves as Milebake did, or just to tell some stupid jokes whatever, it's needed by us."

That I could not disagree more. Lansing Heritage is why we are here. Our love for JBL speakers and gear. That's what holds us together. The rest is secondary and should be treated as such as far as subject matter in the forums. These are audio forums first, the rest is a distraction.

norealtalent
02-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Hello Widget

...I think we need to be more focused on the original post topics, keep the Off Topic in Off Topic. That I think would go a long way to improving the overall quality of the threads in both DIY and Technical not to mention the General Forum as well.

Here, here.:cheers: I love it when people recognize the problem and focus on a solution rather than on medicating the symptoms. :bouncy:

hapy._.face
02-23-2006, 08:57 AM
A meathead's perspecitive...

I posted this last night (well, something like this) and deleted because I felt it didn't matter. Now I see that it might:

I'm a newbie with a LOT of posts. You could look through my profile and I guess I'm the perfect target here. Most of my posts are in "off topic". However, a lot of those posts consist of nothing more than a back to back chat session style reply. Off topic has become like a forum chatroom running in real time. At least we aren't doing this in the DIY section.

I post in "off topic" because I've met some people on the forum, and I now consider them good friends. There are a bunch of cool people here, and I would like to meet more. Off topic is a way for us to get to know each other and see what personalities others have. As cool as the "technical help" threads are- I don't know what kind of guy you are when I read that stuff- and that's important to me. I'm a social creature and I like being social.

Example: '59 has posted in all sorts of threads , but it's his jokes in the "off topic" category that are painting the picture of who he is, and I think I'd probably like the guy a lot if I ever get the chance to meet him. Same with NRT. It was his jokes and personal opinions that- when given the op to make a transaction with him- I went for it because he seemed like a cool enough guy to meet. As it turns out- he was. Thanks (largely) to the "off topic" ramblings. Giskard's occasional BS posts in off topic are VERY welcomed and usually the funniest of all. We all know he's amazingly gifted with this stuff (sorry to put you on the spot Giskard)- but he also (obviously) has a great
sense of humor as indicated by the off topic comments.

As much as I post in off topic- I spend more time reading the old threads in DIY and Technical help. I am studying this stuff HARD, and I copy and paste the technical stuff outta here more than one might imagine. Lucky for me (and other members like me) I don't post on these threads because there is already a WEALTH of info on this forum as it is. I'm busy as hell trying to catch up! I've learned that when I have something worthwhile and important to say in the more critical threads- I'll do it. Until then, I'll just keep learning, and stick with the off topic conversation. EDIT: In the past- when I have posted something in the technical help or DIY I usually got rude replies by the older members. I've been called names and attacked- all conveniently deleted when I re-attack with a killer comeback. So what have I learned? "Stay out of the technical and diy threads unless I'm reading only." Now you want to say that there aren't enough contributions in there? Wonder why?

So, which is it? Would you rather me post technical information that I am not well versed in and contaminate the info? or stay out of the way? Or would you rather me not post at all and deny me the opportunity to interact with others? Just because my contributions are not focused on the particulars of crossover topology doesn't mean I am not contributing AT ALL! if nothing else, I bet I've made a few people laugh in here... what's wrong with that?

I've been in this JBL thing for about a month or two. That's it. But in that time I have learned and memorized at least 200 different drivers, speaker systems, crossover, etc. I have read almost the entire JBL Library twice. I know more than most guys in this hobby for 10X longer. I will have spent almost $4K on JBL related products in the past two weeks. How many other "newbies" can say that? I make my contributions both financially and socially- and I like to post in off topic A LOT. So what? If that's really an 'out of control' issue- I'll be the first to leave.

May I suggest an off topic cache? Deleted say.....every month or so? That would end the whole 'waste of space' hosting concerns...

JBLnsince1959
02-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Hello Widget

I think your are right on target. That said where I see the problem are in threads in the other Forums. We have grown quite a bit and thats really I think where the issue lies. When the Forums were smaller we would all drop a one liner here or there. With the number of members we have this is becoming a problem. I can't say it's ok for me and not the next 10 guys who decide to do the same. That I think is the crux. We have way too much Off Topic on the Forum as a whole not just in Off Topic. The number of senseless posts are dumbing down the whole forum. I think we need to be more focused on the original post topics, keep the Off Topic in Off Topic. That I think would go a long way to improving the overall quality of the threads in both DIY and Technical not to mention the General Forum as well.

Rob..I agree with you about the other forums..THE TOPIC HERE IN THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT THE "OFF TOPIC" forum.

If you wish to make a point about "other forums" PLEASE follow your own rules and start a new thread to address that issue and don't drift off topic to this thread. I'M GOING TO STAY ON TOPIC.. ( off topic forum I beleive it was)

norealtalent
02-23-2006, 09:02 AM
...the perfect target here...

Nice avatar!:D

JBLnsince1959
02-23-2006, 09:16 AM
[COLOR=black]I
[COLOR=black]Example: '59 has posted in all sorts of threads , but it's his jokes in the "off topic" category that are painting the picture of who he is, and I think I'd probably like the guy a lot if I ever get the chance to meet him. ...

aaaaaahh.......I bet you say to all the guys with Greman Shephers.....;)

Darn:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Shoot!!!!!!! I just got personal and funny, I'm off topic!!!...quick!!!!!!!!!!! where's the delete button before the LH forum police and the Bush people see this....Darn..where's that button:biting: :biting:

Who's that knocking on my door???? Oh Gosh it's, it's THEEEMMM!!!!!...Daves NOT HERE!!!!...

JBLnsince1959
02-23-2006, 09:33 AM
So remember guys, this thread is about humor in the Off Topic Forum..so the topic is off topic and not going off topic in the off topic forum..talking about humor inother forums is off topic in this tread, so we should be talking about off topics in the off topic forum.

there that was simple..

norealtalent
02-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Be a good dog, piss on the bushes.:offtopic: :mad: :nanana:

JBLnsince1959
02-23-2006, 09:36 AM
and with that...I say Goodbye to the forum

:wave:

hapy._.face
02-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Always leave on a good note. Coltrane always did. ;)

edgewound
02-23-2006, 09:58 AM
It would be a real shame to chase people off that are following the forum rules. I just re-read the forum rules that's supplied in each main forum section, and "Off Topic" is a wide open menu that has to do with everything not Lansing. Maybe Don McRitchie can clear the air in this subject. I think he means for people that have a common interest to become friends...that people have other interests as well. He has set up a space for that exchange to materialize...called it "Off Topic". Is the issue here, really, that members' fun is spoiling the Moderators' party? Maybe a middle ground solution would be to have "Off Topic" posts disappear after a length of time has passed, like hapy..face suggested, to preserve system resources.

Give that some thought, please. Maybe there's some misunderstanding that's not written anywhere for members to read.

For me...if I feel a post doesn't grab my attention...I skip it.

Robh3606
02-23-2006, 10:26 AM
"Shoot!!!!!!! I just got personal and funny, I'm off topic!!!...quick!!!!!!!!!!! where's the delete button before the LH forum police and the Bush people see this....Darn..where's that button:biting: :biting:"

Right, here we are trying to discuss an issue and we get this sophmoric crap. Prime example of dumbing down a discussion. Sorry but your last 3 posts just proved the point.

rek50
02-23-2006, 10:33 AM
It's easy for me. I know that if I "Click" on a post, I'll be able to SEE it. If the "Topic" is not of my interest, I don't "Click" it.
I can grasp the Harman "Creed" : "If you love music, your'e in good company with Harman International. If it makes, plays or records sound, we're there. Because music is not just our business-IT'S OUR LIFE."
LHF is like a micro sampling of the World: Experts, Marketeers, Comedians, DIY'ers, etc. nothing unusual to me. People will do as people do. They aren't really here to live up to my expectations, nor am I here to live up to theirs. If we share mutual expectations, GREAT. If we don't, I'll still be able to carry on.

We can be happy, we can be sad. The required energy for either, is about the same.
If you keep doing what you always have done, you'll keep getting what you have always gotten.
If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything.:)

Mr. Widget
02-23-2006, 10:52 AM
"I just re-read the forum rules that's supplied in each main forum section, and "Off Topic" is a wide open menu that has to do with everything not Lansing."-edgewound

Hmmmm...

I wasn't posting my view of new rules to be added or anything specific. I simply had noticed that the BS had gotten so deep it was starting to spill over the top of my boots and I don't particularly like that.

As I said in several different ways in my initial post and query, I think a certain amount of the social chit chat is acceptable, fun, entertaining etc. I was pointing out that I feel that it is getting thick. (Whatever the actual percentage.) I would like to see a reasonable dialog on the subject... digging through these posts there is one of sorts.

Rob makes a good point that the BS is wide spread... perhaps the Off Topic area should be used as a check valve so that we can purge some of these thoughts and post them there... (I don't mean we the moderators purging stuff, but we the forum members putting our own off topic urges there.)

Face says, "I'm a newbie with a LOT of posts. You could look through my profile and I guess I'm the perfect target here. Most of my posts are in "off topic". However, a lot of those posts consist of nothing more than a back to back chat session style reply. Off topic has become like a forum chatroom running in real time. At least we aren't doing this in the DIY section."

Exactly! ...to me a chatroom is a sort of lowest common denominator. Don't get me wrong, I like to chat. I think your point about it being helpful for a newbie to become aquatinted is good too. That said, if you look back over some of these threads I think we can get that with perhaps a few dozen less entries that are pure fluff. And even there, a bit of fluff is fine. I am sure I have posted more useless BS on this forum than you have, but I have been trying to cut back since the recent dearth of it and also I've posted a ton of on topic, and hopefully sometimes useful info.

"...so the humor, jokes, off-topics, the philosophy is the GLUE that really holds us together..."-JBLnsince1959

And I see that. I like the sense of community that we have created here. I am not trying to stifle it. To use your family metaphor, some families are more chaotic than others... I'd hope that ours could be a little less zoo like.

Anyway that's how I feel. It isn't the view of "THE MODERATORS" or anything other than a fellow forum member's view.

Widget

Robh3606
02-23-2006, 11:19 AM
"It would be a real shame to chase people off that are following the forum rules."

Hello Edgewound

I don't see this discussion as a threat to anyones presence hear. Widget brought up something he wanted to discuss. I added what I saw as well. We need to be able to do this in a healthy community. You need to raise issues and discusss them. It's pretty basic stuff to me. If some feel threatened by this discussion well maybe they should be asking themselves why???? If they choose to leave because of it that's a personal choice. Knowone here is getting banned because they don't see things the same way. I can understand new guys being intimidated by the boys club we have here. All sites have there clicks and groups we all know this. We all ran in our own packs as kids. Off Topic is a good way to break in especially if you don't know that much and can't add much in DIY or Technical. My whole point is keep Off Topic in Off Topic. Try to keep the threads focused so they are easier to read and more useful for others down the road.

edgewound
02-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Widget, Rob

Thanks for clarifying your positions. I read your previous posts to be a little on the angry side, so I'm glad you were able to set the record straight. I agree that alot of posts have a tendency to lead a thread down a different path, which is not productive. I've tried lately to refrain from adding comments that just take up space, and sometimes after typing a response I'll delete before I send it....kind of gets it off my chest when I can see the writing....and then just decide..."Aww, forget it....waste of time." I, too, have clicked on a new post only to be disappointed in what was written, and I'm guilty of posting same.

I think the moderators are doing a little nudging to the membership here to encourage us to think a little more about the forum's big picture....think before you click "Submit Reply".

paragon
02-23-2006, 12:12 PM
Off Topic is off topic and means off topic, anywhere.
If not, it is not off topic.:)
Born to be wild (Steppenwolf).

Rolf
02-23-2006, 04:12 PM
I wrote a long post regarding this thread, then deleted it, as nobody would take i seriously as usual.

I rest my case.

Rolf

P.S. I thought the "Off Topic" was the place to put Off Topic.

Mr. Widget
02-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Since both Rolf and Paragon brought up the same point, I guess I should clarify...

Yes the Off Topic area is where off topic discussion should be. My point was that we seem to be heading further off topic more often than we have historically been. This is not a yes/no, black/white issue. It is all about the subtlety.

I should have also addressed the off topic posts in the other forums (fora) too. I originally was thinking of both, but primarily the recent flurry of threads and posts in the Off Topic area.

This forum is about Lansing Heritage. Since it is a heritage dealing with many aspects of audio, all things audio seem relevant to some degree... even those that are "Off Topic". Of course we have discussed many topics that don't relate to Lansing Heritage specifically or audio in general... a certain amount of that is fine, I just happen to think that perhaps we should limit the extreme off topic stuff a bit. I am certainly not advocating a complete end to whacky threads, or subjects that will likely be enjoyed by many here... just use some common sense and remember that this in the Lansing Heritage Discussion Forum.

Along with all things JBL I am also into vintage bicycles. I wouldn't post a thread describing how I recently restored this or that bike... it just isn't relevant here. If I posted a thread titled "Look at This!" about my newly restored vintage touring bike... most of you would pop in and go so????

I hope this helps... and BTW, it is interesting how these one sided conversations resonate... Mr. Edge, I certainly didn't intend to sound angry in my initial post. For me it was more of a question than a statement... as in, "This is how I feel, what do you think?"

Widget

duaneage
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
I like to post to threads on this forum, maybe I post too much. I don't know. I also feel I have contributed quite a bit technically. I built a monitor system with photos (4411), posted driver specifications that were nowhere to be found, helped people with problems I solved myself, even helped someone get a driver they really needed. I'm not a dealer, roadie, JBL employee, resident genius, etc, so maybe I'm not "qualified" as much to respond or post in technical or DIY. But when I see a request for help going unanswered and I can help, I will try.

I have taken a lot of stuff offline with PMs. Call it a private thread technique. It does deprive the forum of information and discussion that could be helpful but also keeps the bozos out of the thread. In light of the posts I see here so far I think the PM route is the best way for some people to go.

One more off topic point: There are other speakers than JBL which are worth discussing, and some of them are quite good. I've built more systems without JBLs than with and off topic shouldbe fair game for discussing such things.

Finally, I think I see where I'm at and I'll be more careful what and where I post. I like this forum best of all I look at, and I don't want to get any bad vibes.

kingjames
02-23-2006, 11:19 PM
No where on this forum does it say EXPERTS ONLY, and I think the bulk of the financial donations come from members who are not experts. I certainly am not an expert and this is why I have never posted in the DIY forum.How can you have an Off Topic area and then try to dictate what should go there? What's the purpose of it,if everything is to be JBL related than it's not off topic.We newbie's are at a disadvantage here,we are small amongst Giants and I don't apoligize for my ignorance. Originally I joined this forum because there were people just like me who liked the same speaker as me and made me realize I wasn't crazy after all, loving a speaker the way I do. Music is a very important thing in life and to have it sound good is even more important.I also joined because I found that there are some very talented people here who have dealt with JBL for a major portion of their lives, who are willing to share information to us less fortunate.This is a great thing. This site could not survive on just experts in the field because there aren't that many and,how do you become an expert?You read,you read,you read, maybe after a while you post about what you have read when you feel comfortable.I am very intimidated when all the experts on this forum decide what is best for everyone else,it makes me not want to post anything.To be a successful forum you must draw newbies to this system and give them some rope,not crucify them because they made a mistake and posted in the wrong forum. I see all this bitching about who posts what where,if it bother's you so much why do you read it? You are trying to make this site experts only and it isin't going to work,though, JBL'S are the best they are not the only thing in life.I have posted in all thread's except DIY because I have no interest to learn why my JBL'S sound so good,I only know that they do and leave that field for people who thrive on that.There are some members here who try to learn the ropes but are made to feel like shit because their not experts in the field.Off topic ain't so much off topic if you really look at it,I have learned alot about the members here by reading the off topic thread.General discussion and DIY are not the only threads where you can learn,and for us member's who are not experts this is where you experts made us feel more comfortable in the off topic area..How are you going to draw more people to this place? It won't happen with requiring everyone to be experts.Let's say there is one expert for every ten members here now,let's ban everyone that is not an expert,what is left? JBL Lansing Hertiage, A Place For Expert Discussion Only!!!!!! Please Leave your Thoughts at home.:biting:

Titanium Dome
02-23-2006, 11:39 PM
One of my favorite quotes is from Clint/Dirty Harry:

A man's got to know his limitations.

Another is from Grace/Jefferson Airplane:

F--k you, I do what I want.

I try to live between those two guidelines, and they work for me even here on the LH Forums.

I rarely post in the technical forum because I don't know anything useful to contribute, unless someone needs a simple measurement or a specific fact that I might have at my disposal.

I post only slightly more often in the DIY forum, because, again, I have little of substance to contribute. Often I ask questions.

In the marketplace and general forums, I post a lot because I have some useful information and a lot of experience that comes to bear that's relevant to these content areas.

With the off topic and forum issues areas, I get in a lot of licks because those are often driven by opinion and informed speculation. We've all got plenty of that. Plus, they can be fun.

So, recognizing my limitations, I try to respect the reasons why technical and DIY forums exist; play to my relative strengths in the marketplace and general forums, and pretty much let it rip in the other two areas if I'm interested in the topics. Anyone who doesn't like it can PM me, moderators can delete my posts or complete threads, or any member can respond in kind in the thread itself.

In that respect, I'll keep posting what I want, when I want, in those two areas, because it's my perception that it's okay by our hosts, or they'll tell me if it isn't. I'll respect their limitations, and if I don't like it, leave. My feelings will not be hurt.

Obviously, I'm not a present or former JBL employee (or an employee of Apple Computer--Hi, Bo! :wave: ), a working musician, sound engineer, audio salesman, electronics genius, or loudspeaker guru.

I'm a JBL aficionado and enthusiast. Period. As long as I know who I am and what I can give and take from the forums, and as long as no one looks down on me for what I am or tries to dampen my enthusiasm with pettiness or unnecessary rules or sanctions, then this is a great place to be.

I like it here; I give what I can to the discussions and to the coffers; I plan to keep on being me as long as I'm permitted to.

Kudos to Don, John, et al for providing such a B-I-G place with such a W-I-D-E embrace. I cherish the freedom you give.

Kudos to Widget for bringing this up and to Rob and Giskard for their more fundamentalist views. I respect them and appreciate their contributions; I appreciate the opportunity to discuss this.

To me, theirs is a concept I understand, but one I am not desirous of embracing. So, you'll just have to live with me the way I am. :yes:

Mr. Widget
02-24-2006, 12:04 AM
I like to post to threads on this forum, maybe I post too much. Jeez... I could have posted those two lines. I am sure some think I do post too often. To you I apologize.

I would hope that all newbies feel welcome to post... ask questions, tell tales of successes or failures... point out a great deal in the Marketplace, whatever strikes you as appropriate. When I first found this forum and was a newbie I was made to feel welcome and I hope others will also join and post and not just lurk.

No where on this forum does it say EXPERTS ONLY...I am sorry that you felt compelled to post that. I don't think anyone is saying that you must be an EE or physicist to participate. I am no EXPERT, and yet having hung around here quite awhile I feel perfectly comfortable posting recommendations about things I know, and I enjoy learning new things from others that have had different experiences, or have knowledge that I do not.

Kudos to Widget for bringing this up and to Rob and Giskard for their more fundamentalist views. I respect them and appreciate their contributions; I appreciate the opportunity to discuss this.

To me, theirs is a concept I understand, but one I am not desirous of embracing. So, you'll just have to live with me the way I am. :yes:You know, that is fine from my standpoint. I was bringing up a point and trying to explain my take on it. I get the feeling that many, rather than saying "Dude, you are off base!" have taken it as some sort of attack.

It certainly wasn't meant that way. However if you want to post locker room jokes and pictures, knock yourselves out. We live in a reasonably free and reasonably tacky country.:rotfl:

Widget

Mr. Widget
02-24-2006, 12:10 AM
I have made my case. Post whatever you feel is appropriate that doesn't violate the rules... If you really need to tell me something about this subject send me a PM as I am done here and will go back to screwing up the forum in general.:D

Widget

kingjames
02-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Mr. Widget,I believe you are a man who does their job well. I like your participation in these discusssions and though I may not agree with you sometimes I do thank you for taking time out of your day to express your feelings.I notice that in most cases that you are the only one who tries to mediate here and, I see you are on the forum quite a bit out of the day, everyday as well.Sometimes it is hard to write on paper what your views are and sometimes we don't choose the right words but I think pretty much most people know what were trying to say on a given subject.Allow free expression and everything else will work out fine.I know my contributions to this site are nill but, I show my appreciation by always searching Ebay to find some literature that maybe we don't have and purchase it and send it to someone who will decide what is needed on this forum and I don't ask for anything in return.There are other ways to contribute,I do this because in order to live with myself I know I should contribute something. I am not a lonely person as I have my 2 grandsons and my grand daughter to keep me company anytime I need that.I don't come here to fulfill my life I only come here to make it better. Sometimes I may not like the moderator in you but I have yet to find fault with the person in you. This forum should be so lucky to have you and in my opinion need's a couple more.:barf:

4313B
02-24-2006, 06:53 AM
Don, I see you still haven't finished your answer to this thread. Let's hold off for awhile so we can hash over it a bit more. I'm not at all interested in "discussing" this online. I think it's time for another Vent session now that you have some breathing room. We have a ton of other stuff to discuss anyway and can roll this issue up into the discussion.

Mr. Widget, please lock this thread or move it to the junk drawer. Like Rob has stated so many times, it's time to act. With upcoming events I think we'd better act fast or we're going to have a whole heap of trouble when the new people arrive.

Magnet3
02-24-2006, 10:29 AM
We can be happy, we can be sad. The required energy for either, is about the same.
If you keep doing what you always have done, you'll keep getting what you have always gotten.
If you can't change your mind, you can't change anything.:)

:applaud:
I really like this saying! I don't mean to waste a post just on this but I think more people should really take this advice and find out how much happier they could be.