PDA

View Full Version : Question for you Californians

JBLRaiser
02-19-2006, 04:06 PM
With JBL headquartered out there during it's heyday(pre black boxes:barf: )and so much music coming from there, are there tons of used speakers showing up in yard sales, thrifts and classifieds. Just curious, you never know, I might fly out for a sale or two. :nutz:

speakerdave
02-19-2006, 04:17 PM
With JBL headquartered out there during it's heyday(pre black boxes) and so much music coming from there, are there tons of used speakers showing up in yard sales, thrifts and classifieds. Just curious, you never know, I might fly out for a sale or two.

That would be telling, now, wouldn't it?

JBLRaiser
02-19-2006, 04:59 PM
That would be telling, now, wouldn't it?

That's all I need to know. I'm leaving now! http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/beammeup.gif (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=2#)

Don C
02-19-2006, 05:22 PM
It's hit and miss around here. In the last three years or so I have been going to estate and garage sales regularly. I've found:
1 pair of Olympus (I left them there, too big for me),
3 pairs of L100s,
1 pair of L110s,
1 pair of L55s,
1 sinlgle L80T,
1 single L19,
1 pair of LE12C,
1 single D208.

stpower
02-19-2006, 07:28 PM
You would think so. Seems all I ever find at garage sales is York, Llyods, Panasonic thrusters, etc. Only JBL I saw once was the Circus City vinyl clad stuff. Maybe I live in the wrong part of LA.

stpower

speakerdave
02-19-2006, 07:58 PM
JBLRaiser's post reminds of when I was in junior high school reading Hot Rod Magazine and imagining that in California every other car on the road would be a cool custom rod.

David

johnaec
02-19-2006, 08:15 PM
I did find a pair of L65A's and L150's, both at the same garage sale. 'Had to replace the foam on all, and fix some broken grilles on the L150's. I still have the L65A's, (they're for sale, but obviously not at the price level I bought them http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/smilies/redface.gif ). The only other JBL's I've seen at yard sales have been bottom of the line little commercial jobs which I passed on.

On the other hand, I've gotten a bunch of great JBL deals off the San Francisco craigslist. I don't monitor the SoCal craigslists, so I don't know how much stuff turns up there...

Either way, I certainly wouldn't make a trip out here thinking you could spend a weekend driving around to garage sales picking up JBL's. Even when they are there, they're usually gone early. Even non-audiophiles often know a good deal when they see one.

John

doodlebug
02-19-2006, 08:28 PM
JBLRaiser's post reminds of when I was in junior high school reading Hot Rod Magazine and imagining that in California every other car on the road would be a cool custom rod.

David

I grew up in North Carolina in the days of Walt Disney's show, which my family scheduled their Sunday eveings around. So, I grew up believing that *all* kids had fun like I saw at Disneyland - and that's what all the neighborhoods looked like. Oh, and all the girls looked like Annette, too.

Now that I live out here in Santa Cruz, I realized it really isn't too far afield.

BTW, I've only found one set of JBLs at a yard sale: pair of 4425s for $40.

Cheers,

David

speakerdave
02-19-2006, 08:50 PM

Well, that's enough to last anybody a good while.

JBL Dog
02-19-2006, 11:53 PM
I grew up in North Carolina in the days of Walt Disney's show, which my family scheduled their Sunday eveings around. So, I grew up believing that *all* kids had fun like I saw at Disneyland - and that's what all the neighborhoods looked like. Oh, and all the girls looked like Annette, too.

Now that I live out here in Santa Cruz, I realized it really isn't too far afield.

Cheers,

David

I'm going to try to hit a few of them this summer. There's a local guy that has gotten some pretty nice stuff at garage/estate sales that he's flipped on Ebay for a nice profit. I question if it's worth the time you have to invest to make a killer score. I'm not a Wednesday morning @ 6:00 a.m. kinda guy!

chad
02-20-2006, 12:11 AM
...BTW, I've only found one set of JBLs at a yard sale: pair of 4425s for $40.

Cheers,

David

You are the MAN!!!! Do you still have and enjoy them?

doodlebug
02-20-2006, 10:42 AM
You are the MAN!!!! Do you still have and enjoy them?

They've had the required foam surround replacement and have had the crossover caps replaced. The cabinets were pretty beat up - nicks and dings, etc - but I'm not bitchin' for the investment.

I swap them in and out with a set of UREI 809s thinking I'll sell one set of something but just can't ever decide. Guess I'll keep on evaluating :D.

BTW, latest project is a set of Quad ESL 63s rescued after a local river flooding. Wish me luck.......I seem to take on all these wierd basket (pardon the pun) cases.

Cheers,

David

hapy._.face
02-20-2006, 11:42 AM

David

Yep! I remember thinking that exact way! :p When I finally moved to California (1990-1995)- I was shocked at what I found.
Where were all those girls from the David Lee Roth video?
And where was my agent?!

Regis
02-20-2006, 05:46 PM
SoCal just sucks so bad. You have to be diligent to beat out the other LH members here on deal-e-o's. But I have gotten some worthy scores.

4628 Cabarets Mint and freshly refoamed $600
L-150 pair #1 free (but beat up and now mod'd to 3113b/2214H,LE5-9)
L-150A pair #2 mint and refoamed $300 (to my bro)
L-150 pair #3 $150 to a bud and I mod'd these too
L-110 pair $20
L-300 pair $1,200, not a bargain, but not bad with mint cabs and nice grills
250Ti pair $650
4315 pair $800 (and I stupidly passed on these)
4435 pair, I ain't gonna tell, they went to someone else
Custom pair $240, LE14A1's with 375 drivers $240

Non JBL
Sansui G-22000 $240 (with four Kenwood speaks 15" tunacan woofs and all)
Sansui G-22000 #2 $500, but didn't run. $175 in repairs and my bro is happy after lusting for one for over twenty years
A lot of work looking, that's for sure.

speakerdave
02-20-2006, 06:01 PM
And where was my agent?!
She was probably having lunch with Rin Tin Tin.

hapy._.face
02-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I must admit- my city is full of deals. (not just drug deals either). The heroin has people going out of their minds, and stuff turns up everywhere. Not just JBL- all kinds of goodies. As much as I bitch about the crime and pollution- this hellhole sure has it's advantages when you are in a position to benefit. Clean and keen= green. :)

Titanium Dome
02-20-2006, 06:03 PM
SoCal just sucks so bad. You have to be diligent to beat out the other LH members here on deal-e-o's. But I have gotten some worthy scores.
(major snip!)

Hey Regis, the other side is that we LH members also help each other out a lot. Not just SoCal but NoCal, too. The fact that I go to the Bay a half dozen times a year makes this easy for me, but I've helped/been helped by many of the great LHers up there.

And let's not forget that you turned me on to and negotiated for me a super deal on that second pair of SVA1800s, andresohc did me a kind turn on the XPL160s, and so on. I've been able to assist some SoCal guys, too.

Oh, you know what? You wanted everyone to think it sucked. ;) Crap. Sorry, dude. I really harshed your evil buzz. Man, I am such an old tool, like a dull chisel or something. :bash:

johnaec
02-20-2006, 06:43 PM
4628 Cabarets Mint and freshly refoamed $600.Huh? The E145's in the 4628's don't have foam. (??)

John

hapy._.face
02-20-2006, 07:49 PM
She was probably having lunch with Rin Tin Tin.

What movie was that line from? It sounds familiar....:hmm:

JBLRaiser
02-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks for your insights into the California yard sale scene, both funny and informative. Maybe I'll just go to Disneyland.:)

Titanium Dome
02-21-2006, 07:34 AM
Thanks for your insights into the California yard sale scene, both funny and informative. Maybe I'll just go to Disneyland.:)

But Disneyland isn't everything you think it is either.

OTOH, everyone should go at least once, and if you can go in the middle of the week, you have the greater chance of actually doing something other than stand in line 80% of the time. It'll be more like 60% of the time. ;)

SUPERBEE
02-21-2006, 12:23 PM
I have found CA to have some very good hunting. But I also did really well in the mid-west

Its like collectable LPs, You have to have a nose for it

JBLnsince1959
02-21-2006, 04:50 PM

4628 Cabarets Mint and freshly refoamed $600
L-150 pair #1 free (but beat up and now mod'd to 3113b/2214H,LE5-9)
L-150A pair #2 mint and refoamed $300 (to my bro)
L-150 pair #3 $150 to a bud and I mod'd these too
L-110 pair $20
L-300 pair $1,200, not a bargain, but not bad with mint cabs and nice grills
250Ti pair $650
4315 pair $800 (and I stupidly passed on these)
4435 pair, I ain't gonna tell, they went to someone else
Custom pair $240, LE14A1's with 375 drivers $240

Non JBL
Sansui G-22000 $240 (with four Kenwood speaks 15" tunacan woofs and all)
Sansui G-22000 #2 $500, but didn't run. $175 in repairs and my bro is happy after lusting for one for over twenty years

and you're bitchin' cuz you have to work a little for those goodies????

AT LEAST YOU GOT SOMETHING TO FIGHT FOR.

DAMN!!!!!

I'm sorry.......I don't feel the least bit sorry for you.

speakerdave
02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
What movie was that line from? It sounds familiar....:hmm:

Maybe you're right, but I don't remember it.