PDA

View Full Version : Philips 963CD

Alex Lancaster
10-09-2003, 12:26 PM
Hi everybody:

I am looking for a good CD player, I have read good things about the DVD963, It will be used only for CD's, so the other features do not count; Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Also, if somebody has a real good used Sony CD of the high end XA ES series, pls send me a PM.

Thanks, Alex.

delahais
10-12-2003, 05:54 AM
linn ikemi:thmbsup:

GordonW
10-12-2003, 09:30 AM
It's not cheap, but it's still a good VALUE, given how good it sounds compared to many CD players MUCH more expensive: the Rega Planet 2000. When these first came out, I did a back-to-back comparison with a Wadia 860... and believe it or not, the Rega actually BEAT the Wadia on some significant issues, the one I remember profoundly, being that the bass was MORE EXTENDED and TIGHTER on the Rega! Yeah, the Wadia probably excelled elsewhere in comparison... the soundstage detail in the upper mids and highs, realistically. But, for them to sound that SIMILAR, and the Rega actually to EXCEL here and there... that was pretty eye-opening.

Not bad, for a $900 player, taking on $6000 players!!

Disclaimer: I work for a Rega/Wadia dealer, but I'm not on any sort of commission... I just build and fix speakers.

Regards,
Gordon.