PDA

View Full Version : 066 tweeter

hapy._.face
02-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I have a bad tweeter (066) that I'm wanting to take apart, and attempt a repair. Problem is- I don't know how. There are three pins that appear to be holding the magnet sections together. I assume this is the only way "in". Can anyone give me any insight??

One more qustion: What (if any) parts are replaceable so that I can get it working again??

Audiobeer
02-04-2006, 01:46 PM
Unless you can snag a kit that someone has your in trouble. JBL dosen't have anymore. Maybe someone here can advise you if there is an alternative. There is no aftermarket available that I know of. :(

hapy._.face
02-04-2006, 02:50 PM
That sucks. It's a nice tweeter (when working).Anyone know of a good alternative to slip in my L212's?? Giskard?

duaneage
02-04-2006, 03:49 PM
You might be able to go with 044 tweeters if they fit. The 044 takes a 4 3/4" hole for mounting and three holes through the baffle.

Beyond that good luck on eBay. Being a legacy item expect to be fleeced.

hapy._.face
02-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Guess now's the time to bypass and prop up the Smith horn I've been lusting after (especially after hearing "norealtalent's" the other day) Thanks...

pelly3s
02-04-2006, 05:48 PM
well i might have one at the shop still. i sent one to another forum member a while back. let me check on monday and see if there is one left.

transducergeek
02-06-2006, 01:05 PM
I have a bad tweeter (066) that I'm wanting to take apart, and attempt a repair. Problem is- I don't know how. There are three pins that appear to be holding the magnet sections together. I assume this is the only way "in". Can anyone give me any insight??

One more qustion: What (if any) parts are replaceable so that I can get it working again??

I have a "working" 066, but looks horrible, smashed and dented.. $20.00 as-is. Thanks, Rolf.

sburch126
02-24-2006, 09:58 PM
I just fixed one badly dented one by just sucking the dent out.Fyi the average for a pair on ebay is over 200$.There are 2 pairs right now under jbl/vintage one pair is at 10${one is dented} the other pair is higher but I forget how high.

4313B
02-25-2006, 06:28 AM
That sucks. It's a nice tweeter (when working).Anyone know of a good alternative to slip in my L212's?? Giskard?I think I have a kit or two left. I'll get back to you when I have time to dig through some boxes. I might have used all my kits up for Audiobeer's huge restoration project.

mrmuse
05-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Being new here I thought I would see if there are any available kits for the 066. I have a pair and one of the leads broke due to my coffee drinking skills (one too many cups).

If anyone knows of a kit, or has one, please let me know.

Thanks

mrmuse
(Gregg)

hapy._.face
05-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Being new here I thought I would see if there are any available kits for the 066. I have a pair and one of the leads broke due to my coffee drinking skills (one too many cups).

If anyone knows of a kit, or has one, please let me know.

Thanks

mrmuse
(Gregg)

If the lead is broken , and that is it's only issue- it's well worth the effort to salvage it any way you can. I eventually tore mine down and salvaged what I thought was a "bad" tweeter- turns out the lead was loose. I was also able to reshape a punched in dome and touch it all up a bit. If there are any kits available- they will be expensive- trust me. You might be better off buying a whole different 066 tweeter for the same money...

Zilch
05-08-2006, 05:05 PM
"Cabaret Freak," a sub-category addiction. :thmbsup:

[Heh, heh....]

mrmuse
05-09-2006, 05:13 AM
I'm just afraid the old "coffee shakes" will set in again and I will screw things up worse..

Let me tell you what I am ultimately looking for.

I have 3 D-130's (Raw, need recone) 1 D-130 w/broken lead that works great with lead attached. 2-2425's (1 w/ new diaphram) (1 in need of new diaphram). 1 2110 in need of recone. 2 E-110's both work great, 1 needs cone repair/replace, and the other has an aftermarket recone, looks ugly, sounds great, 1 8in.116H with fresh recone from authorized JBL dealer (Circuit Shop in Grand Rapids Mi.), then the 2-066's one working perfectly, other has the broken lead. I also have 5 other 15's (various old ones that I use now) all in very good condition.

I want to sell/trade for a pair of quality 18's or bass 15's. I (in my true dumbness) got rid of mine and need to load a set of old JBL cinema cabs with them. These to pair up with my 4628's in a four way system.

I would rather see all these get good homes. I've sold equipment on Ebay and just didn't like the feeling I got. This would be for my studio at home.

If I'm in the wrong spot, please point me in the right direction, or if anyone is interested, just reply back to this post.

Thanks again,

Gregg
mrmuse

hapy._.face
05-09-2006, 05:58 AM
I'm just afraid the old "coffee shakes" will set in again and I will screw things up worse..

Let me tell you what I am ultimately looking for.

I have 3 D-130's (Raw, need recone) 1 D-130 w/broken lead that works great with lead attached. 2-2425's (1 w/ new diaphram) (1 in need of new diaphram). 1 2110 in need of recone. 2 E-110's both work great, 1 needs cone repair/replace, and the other has an aftermarket recone, looks ugly, sounds great, 1 8in.116H with fresh recone from authorized JBL dealer (Circuit Shop in Grand Rapids Mi.), then the 2-066's one working perfectly, other has the broken lead. I also have 5 other 15's (various old ones that I use now) all in very good condition.

I want to sell/trade for a pair of quality 18's or bass 15's. I (in my true dumbness) got rid of mine and need to load a set of old JBL cinema cabs with them. These to pair up with my 4628's in a four way system.

I would rather see all these get good homes. I've sold equipment on Ebay and just didn't like the feeling I got. This would be for my studio at home.

If I'm in the wrong spot, please point me in the right direction, or if anyone is interested, just reply back to this post.

Thanks again,

Gregg
mrmuse

Hey Greg,

Perhaps you should re-write that list of stuff in an easy to read format and post it in our forum marketplace section. Be sure to include all your pricing. I'm sure somebody may want at least something from that pile. Also, try a WTB (wanted to buy) ad oulining exactly what you are looking for. That will yield the best results. Click the "new thread" button (in blue) located in the upper left corner in the following categories:

All Lansing (JBL/Altec) related gear bought and sold post here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=5

All other general audio post here:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Good luck. It's not mandatory, but small donations to the sight are highly welcomed. :D

About the 066- have you connected the broken lead to a tester? Where is the lead broken- near the coil or near the terminal? Got a pic? Ever tried to kick your caffeine (http://coffeefaq.com/site/node/12) addiction? Was your dad a construction worker? Is it raining there? :)

mrmuse
05-09-2006, 06:36 AM
Will redo the post here shortly.

Here is a pic. My mistake....Both leads are broke.

Gregghttp://www.llwisp.com/JBL066.jpg

mrmuse
05-09-2006, 06:40 AM
Sorry, forgot to reply to the questions.

Was kidding about the coffee. Had a couple stress related heart attacks a few years ago and the meds give me the shakes once in a while.

No, my father was in Army Intel (covert) and then an designer/engineer for GM. He passed away in 1965 in Los Angeles. His name was Wally.

No rain here. 100% sunshine 7 of the last 10 days and temps in the mid 60's to low 70's..

Gregg

hapy._.face
05-09-2006, 07:13 AM
...you didn't need to answer that crap!! :p ...but now that you did- I feel we all know you a little better. :)

Man, that's a bad break in a bad spot. I bet you have a PM right now with people wanting to sell you another 066 or kit. Am I right?

Lotsa luck!
take care,
Travis

mrmuse
05-09-2006, 07:23 AM
No PM yet, and thanks for the heads up on where to post...

Will update this thread if needed.

Gregg

Zilch
05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
What "Old cinema cabs" do you have?

For subs, 8 cuft gets 2245 or 2242, 5 cuft gets 2235 here.

4628(B)'s a favorite Cabaret with several forum members. They do need subs, tho.

Same with the little 4612(B).

mrmuse
05-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I at one time owned the "Whole Cabaret" series. I liked the 4612's too.

These didn't have a model number on them but they resemble the old Altec Lansing Voice of the theater cabs.

They have JBL Stickers on them, but I realize many companies used this design, so they might not be JBL...

Kind of like the pix here, but about a four inch port running the width at the bottom. I have them already so I thought I would try to use them.
http://www.llwisp.com/Altec.jpg

mrmuse
05-09-2006, 02:13 PM
What cabs are under the 4628's in the photo.

Gregg

Zilch
05-09-2006, 02:40 PM
What cabs are under the 4628's in the photo.Bass cabs are 4625(B) with Sub1500 (NLA) in them. Both ports are closed. I subsequently decided I like the alignment with just one port closed better when I needed port plugs for another pair. :p

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2731

2235H would likely play well in those cabinets, though I've never tried that, and would have to work out the optimum tuning. They're not far off from my favorite B380 sub in size. For real sub use (they weren't really subs with the stock E-140's in them,) those cabs need cross-bracing added inside. Not a big deal to add that.

Note also 4628B's are inverted for MTM configuration in those stacks. An obvious remaining problem with 4628's for serious listening is that they are not mirror imaged. I may fix that in a pair I have which require rehab, and see how much it improves them. Alternatively, I've designed a new cabinet for this driver set with vertical in-line layout, which you can find in these forums, the "Z2".

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61675#post61675