jkc
01-05-2006, 04:12 AM
The design criteria for this centre were

JBL Bits as available

Not a MTM

High efficiency

Same basic tonal qualities as L & R

Full range speaker

It should also double as a stand for the TV and this set the physical dimensions of the front.

So it was it was down to the workshop and this is what I came up with.

The pictures are pretty awful it looks better in real life.

jkc
01-05-2006, 04:13 AM
The dual 15” are 2205’s re-coned as 2235’s

As they are less than ˝ a wave length apart at the crossover of 300Hz they have useful mutual coupling and a reasonable bottom end so we can run the speaker as “Large”

The 2012 puts us in the high efficiency category at 100 dB at 1 watt at 1 meter (still mucking about with equalisation for this)

The 2435HPL Beryllium diaphragm 1.5” compression drivers are mounted on conical wave guides by DDS and are basically flat up to 10Khz where we passively crossover to some slots

The whole thing is tri-amped with some custom made 24 dB/octave active crossovers.

If I was doing it again I would buy a bigger TV and use a 12’ 2202 driver instead of a 10”

A 15” and a horn was my first choice but it would have made the TV to high.

I notice with this speaker that it defiantly sounds better having a “large” (as in full range) centre speaker, I have never been happy with the idea of picking of the bass for a surround system subwoofer as there is never a independent level control to integrate the surround system subs correctly into a speaker designated as “small”

The Low frequency effects (LFE) channel should be left for just that in my opinion.

Any way it sounds great with movies and adds to my enjoyment of movies and it’s not a horizontal MTM.

Robh3606
01-05-2006, 06:16 AM
Hey looks great!!! I am an advocate for a beefy center as well. So are those you left and rights in the picture???

Rob:)

toddalin
01-05-2006, 10:16 AM
GMTA!:D

This one also uses a 2205 reconed as a 2235.:bouncy: The cabinet is chambered and includes a W15GTI serving as a sub.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/center-2235-w15gti.jpg