PDA

View Full Version : CD player with balanced XLR outputs

jim3860
12-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Excuse me if i put this in the wrong place, not sure if It should go elsewhere, feel free to move it or spank me :p I am looking for ideas for a cd player with balanced XLR outputs. to use with my altec lansing amp that has those inputs. Any ideas or suggestions are gratefully and happily accepted :)

Ken Pachkowsky
12-18-2005, 05:51 PM
If you can find a Sony CDP-D11 or D12. I have the D11 and like it very much. If you can find them they run about 350 t0 450 these days on Ebay. Take up 1RU and sound great. I believe Bo has the D12. Not sure of the difference.

Ken

Excuse me if i put this in the wrong place, not sure if It should go elsewhere, feel free to move it or spank me :p I am looking for ideas for a cd player with balanced XLR outputs. to use with my altec lansing amp that has those inputs. Any ideas or suggestions are gratefully and happily accepted :)

Mr. Widget
12-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Yes... I moved your thread to teh Off Topic area... not a big deal.

Adcom also made a CD player with balanced outs... the GCD 750. It is fine, though I don't like it as much as my other players so I haven't used mine in a while.

Widget

jim3860
12-18-2005, 06:48 PM
If you can find a Sony CDP-D11 or D12. I have the D11 and like it very much. If you can find them they run about 350 t0 450 these days on Ebay. Take up 1RU and sound great. I believe Bo has the D12. Not sure of the difference.

Ken THANKS KEN AND MR WIDGET......... Ok i will look for the sonys on ebay, since MR WIDGET doesent care for the adcom. They make nice amps for the money though. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL:D

Oldmics
12-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Tascam makes the single rack space CD-01U Pro and the 3 rack space CDA 700 unit.

I think you are gonna need a pre amp though.Nothing will plug directly into an amplifier and give a satisfactory result.

Oldmics

GordonW
12-18-2005, 08:19 PM
The Sonic Frontiers CD players all had balanced outs, IIRC. Also had vacuum tube analog stages too!

One alternative, that gives REALLY high performance, might be to find a CD player with a digital out, and use it as just transport only to drive a Benchmark DAC-1 (which has balanced outs). New, they're like $1K, but you might be able to find a used one out there somewhere. IMHO, best sounding DAC I've heard that didn't cost 3 times as much or more as it did!

Regards,
Gordon.

Charlie4350
12-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Don't know what the budget is, but Resolution Audio CD 50 or 55 on the used market is an excellent buy - and it sounds ANALOG. Variable analog outputs can run direct to amp, without need for pre.